Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantoms adjusting their sound to accommodate their current position. Really ?
Hi.
I was browsing online when I found this review from 2018, about the Reactors.
https://nerdtechy.com/devialet-phantom-reactor-review
This little piece of info caught my attention : 
"They’re small enough to hold in your hand, yet loud enough to play the full depth of an orchestra. And setting either of them up is quite simple because like many audiophile speakers, Phantom Reactor are capable of detecting the environment around them, and adjusting their sound to accommodate their current position."

No, really can they do that ? As far as I know the only mike available is the one from the phone where the app is installed, Phantoms don't have microphones.
So ... I don't think so.
I feel sometimes that they sound differently - somehow not only time-dependent, but there is something more ... I don't know what.
It is normal (power quality related) to sound great at let's say 23 ... and not so great at 20 (I ment hour, not volume), but sometime I feel the Reactors lack deep bass ... on song's that I currently listen, so I should know how I'm supposed to hear things.
Sometime I even restart them and than I feel that all sounds great again ... 
It might be Placebo, I know. But can this be the auto-calibration that the review is talking about ?
What that reviewer says is pure BS and wishful thinking. Phantoms have no built-in room adjustment and that goes for most audiophile speakers. Most audiophile speakers are passive so couldn't adapt anyway. He calls himself a “TechGuru”, he is anything but... in fact it seems unlikely that he has even used the speakers. If he had he'd soon find that there is no "...detecting the environment around them"
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(16-Jan-2022, 09:52)marius23mvp Wrote: I feel sometimes that they sound differently - somehow not only time-dependent, but there is something more ... I don't know what.
It is normal (power quality related) to sound great at let's say 23 ... and not so great at 20 (I ment hour, not volume), but sometime I feel the Reactors lack deep bass ... on song's that I currently listen, so I should know how I'm supposed to hear things.
Sometime I even restart them and than I feel that all sounds great again ... 
It might be Placebo, I know. But can this be the auto-calibration that the review is talking about ?

When it comes to 20 vs 23 I hear this myself some days. Most likely (and I've read this from other places in the world too) it is related to heavy use of house hold appliances (like microwaves and such) where you live around 20 and very little of the same around 23. It does make a difference. If it is too much you can use a power re-generator like the ones from PS Audio. The Stellar P3 PowerPlant might be enough for a pair of 600. You may need the PowerPlant 12 for a pair of Reactor 900.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
Thank you for your reply. I've looked into your suggested product, and also the price is stellar ! It's more than my pair of 600s. It's a dangerous road and I don't want to go there.
I was looking at a more budget solution (and I'm not yet ready to give the green light on that one also) - PowerQuest 2 by AudioQuest - a product that I found at about 220 eur ... a more affordable price but my problem is not so annoying to justify even that cost.

IF or WHEN Devialet will enable the eq trough devialet app for the Phantoms ... I will be a very happy man.
Except a little lack of trebles, I've got nothing to complain really ... all else is just small dwarves on my brain.
Ah yes, power re-generation is expensive! The power supply in the 600s is better protected against power line distortion than average so you may not need a filter unit at all. If you do not use PLC you could just check if power cords could do the trick.
Devialetless!
Sounds like an Apple HomePod mated with his Phantom while he was away.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
(17-Jan-2022, 12:32)marius23mvp Wrote: IF or WHEN Devialet will enable the eq trough devialet app for the Phantoms ... I will be a very happy man.
Except a little lack of trebles, I've got nothing to complain really ... all else is just small dwarves on my brain.

Oh my God, and his son J.C. !!! 
... It's here !
The update with the eq is here.
Update of Devialet app, and also of the firmware.
The eq is pretty basic, just bass and treble, but it works well and has instant response !
The eq allow users to play vocal sound in a more natural way with less low end influence. It becomes a more "monitor" like performance.

And they make you think that this voice mode is adjusted mode...but actually I suspected that this voice mode is industry default mode with flat setting, and devialet flat mode is actually the extra bass mode for others...