Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phono Stage After Firmware 8.0 Upgrade
Hi I configured the stage as a plain MM cartridge with standard settings, I have a Silk Minute SUT
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
I have been having a few issues with 8.0, as reported elsewhere an this forum and have now switched to 7.1.3 until the 8.0 issues are fixed. However, prior to switching 7.1.3 I did try the new RAM features, albeit with SAM off, which was one way of getting 'round the 8.0 issues.

One thing I tried with RAM was playing an original copy of Bowies "Diamond Dogs". Now this record is over 40 years old, and over the years has been played on some "suboptimal" replay equipment. It is still perfectly playable, but does perhaps sound much like you would expect a record of this vintage to sound. It is on the RCA record label, so I tried a back to back test of playing on the "standard" RIAA 1976 curve, then again using the RCA curve. The upgrade is sound quality was remarkable, perhaps greater than that obtained from going to dual mono. Now this was just a one off test with one album, and it will stay that way until the 8.0 issues are fixed. However, I have to say that the initial impressions of RAM are extremely positive - well done Devialet! Plus, this is a free upgrade. From I have heard from a quick trial, this is certainly a feature that I would be happy to pay quite a lot of cash for. This leaves me optimistic, assuming "8.1" comes along with all issues fixed, then RAM should be a very exciting upgrade for me. For those vinyl users for whom 8.0 works ok, give RAM a try!
(31-May-2015, 12:09)Confused Wrote: I have been having a few issues with 8.0, as reported elsewhere an this forum and have now switched to 7.1.3 until the 8.0 issues are fixed.  However, prior to switching 7.1.3 I did try the new RAM features, albeit with SAM off, which was one way of getting 'round the 8.0 issues.

One thing I tried with RAM was playing an original copy of Bowies "Diamond Dogs".  Now this record is over 40 years old, and over the years has been played on some "suboptimal" replay equipment.  It is still perfectly playable, but does perhaps sound much like you would expect a record of this vintage to sound.  It is on the RCA record label, so I tried a back to back test of playing on the "standard" RIAA 1976 curve, then again using the RCA curve.  The upgrade is sound quality was remarkable, perhaps greater than that obtained from going to dual mono.  Now this was just a one off test with one album, and it will stay that way until the 8.0 issues are fixed.  However, I have to say that the initial impressions of RAM are extremely positive - well done Devialet!  Plus, this is a free upgrade.  From I have heard from a quick trial, this is certainly a feature that I would be happy to pay quite a lot of cash for.  This leaves me optimistic, assuming "8.1" comes along with all issues fixed, then RAM should be a very exciting upgrade for me.  For those vinyl users for whom 8.0 works ok, give RAM a try!

Nice to hear! I really would like to have RAM but as so many of us I'm waiting for 8.1.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK