Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pre purchase: configuration support
Trying to work through whether or not a Devialet could support my current set of source component and output needs.  And which model is best equipped to do so.  My needs:

• Tape loop (pre-out and pre-in) for a reel to reel
  • Phono in (have a phono pre already so need not be a phono board setup)
  • Sub-in
  • USB in for a Roon Nucleus+ (or Ethernet, whichever is more likely to be supported further along
So far I think that’s a need for a line out, two configurable line in, and a sub line out.  I don’t seem to be able to find an example of a unit with 8 RCA jacks that could be so configured.  

Admittedly new, but searches for tape loop yield no results so I thought I’d just ask the best and brightest.  Thanks in advance for any help in confirming which model might best support this. 

PS: power is not a consideration, it’s going to drive a pair of Zu Druid V speakers and a Submission sub. I’m not worried on that end.

-R
Welcome to the forum, @RJHD3.

Sorry to say that as far as I know, none of the Expert series support a proper old-style tape loop.  When you select an analogue line input, that input will be sent to the pre-amp output (if one is configured).  There's no equivalent of a direct analog input to the power amp "after" the source selection.  However, if you don't need to monitor output from the reel-to-reel while you're recording from another input, it should still be workable although it will use 4 x analog connectors.

Phono input is supported either with the built-in phono stage, which is very good although some people have noted higher than expected levels of noise with low-output moving coil cartridges.  There's a long thread about this elsewhere in the forum, but essentially you'd have to suck it and see how it works in your system; fortunately if you have an external phono stage you're happy with, it's easy to re-configure the phono inputs to be line-level.

USB input is straightforward and present on all Experts except the original D-Premier (I think).

As you say, no single Expert has eight RCA connectors; the 140 has four and other models have six.  As far as the sub output is concerned, if you have stereo analog line-level output to your reel-to-reel could you not also send it to the sub?  Alternatively, what about using the high-level inputs to the sub, i.e. from the Expert's speaker terminals?
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I’ve found a few Experts with 7 RCA (pre-out and sub out) so I was rather hoping a loop was possible, either for processing HT or in my case as a monitor loop for tape. Bummer.

Yes, the phono and USB should work on any. And a high level sub out will work for me, but alive read here that don’t do with SAM is sub-optimal (no pun intended).

Thanks again for the response.
Good point about SAM, although I suspect the same caveat might also apply if you use the pre-amp out.  Funnily enough this turned up a few days ago in a different thread: this post might be helpful.
Warwickshire, UK
According to my measurements, subwoofer output is not affected by SAM.

It has to be "after" the DSP on diagram because delay and/or low-pass could be applied.
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

Oh, thanks for that clarification @Delija. Were those measurements done on your 440 Pro? It sounds as though there might be an additional DSP block to do the SAM processing, located before the ADH output section but after the point from which the pre-amp output is derived.
Warwickshire, UK
Yes. 440 Pro. Subwoofer FR is exactly the same with and without SAM.

Subwoofer integration (phase) is different, of course, because SAM introduces phase shift on main stereo speakers.
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

if we use high level input on the sub, connect it to the post which connects to the speaker from the amp, then SAM will effects the sub FR?

REL sub recommend to use high level input.
(15-Apr-2020, 00:57)PeppaPig Wrote: if we use high level input on the sub, connect it to the post which connects to the speaker from the amp, then SAM will effects the sub FR?

REL sub recommend to use high level input.
REL also cautions using the High Level input with Class D amps, and I suspect will have similar issues with bridged amplifiers (like Devialet in Dual-Mono mode).

REL's High Level inputs require that the negative signal be at ground potential, which is not the case for bridged amplifiers and many class D designs, so they require a different connectivity method.

https://relsupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/...on-Methods

In addition, in mono-block configuration, REL recommends using separate sub-woofers for left and right, as connecting a single sub-woofer to both amps will result in ground loops.

https://relsupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/...cks-Part-I

Lastly, with SAM on, I think the better way would be to use the RCA output to the sub-woofer so SAM doesn't interfere with the sub signal. RCA from the pre-amp is probably also the only proper way to connect a single sub to a dual-amp mono-block setup.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI - AQ Diamond AES RCA-XLR Link
PC - ifi iDefender+ - FIBBR Alpha Optical USB + "Studer 900" LPS - Singxer SU-6 - AQ Diamond AES
PSB Imagine T3  AQ William Tell Zero / Tornado / DBS Level-X  -  PliXir Balanced AC