Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Purchasing a new Silver Phantom to pair with a Gen 1
I've had a rough time with Devialet, but i'm looking to give them a second chance.

I was one of the very early purchasers of a Silver phantom. I love the speaker and love the sound, but it's been an absolute nightmare in terms of connectivity, since I use Apple Music as my primary music service.

Almost every time I open Spark it asks me to reset and set-up my speaker, or that it can't be found on the network. Doing this will give me a session or two before it drops again or my favourite, turns the speaker up to a ridiculous volume without warning. I don't have multi-room wiring to be able to connect via Ethernet. Bluetooth connectivity is patchy at best, and continues to have audio issues during playback.

So I was excited when they announced an OTA update that would provide AirPlay compatibility, but found out that this wasn't compatible with the model I had bought (understandable given the hardware requirement). I was similarly disappointed when I was told I wasn't eligible for the Gold your phantom promotion they then offered to me, for the same reason - which would have allowed me to upgrade to an Airplay compatible model and let me take advantage of ongoing firmware upgrades. In my view this promotion would have been the perfect opportunity to make-right for early supporters who were now sitting on defunct technology.

So i've had it for a few years now, getting a lot less use than it should for a speaker with its price tag. I recently got my hands on an old Apple TV with an optical output, and this helps a little.

I'm in the market for a new Phantom and less trusting of the Devialet in-store teams giving me straight answers after years of fuckery and inconsistency (it's a bit of a revolving door of undertrained sales people), I wanted to ask here first. For the record their local online support are much less of a mixed bag and have been a lot more useful with troubleshooting!

If I am to buy a latest generation Silver Phantom, will this solve my connectivity issues, bring my first speaker back into the game, and allow me to use Apple Music to stream to them as a pair? I'm in a new house now as well and can now move them into the same location as the router for a more stable ethernet connection, although it looks like Devialet have discontinued the Dialogue? I'm trying to understand how the pairing would work across the newer and older models without using the Dialogue as a crutch. Does a reactor open up any options as well (would love an analogue input to be able to use with DJ controllers), but it seems the two families are now on differing connectivity standards?

Any guidance much appreciated. Cheers.
I bet there’s other good options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your old Silver on DOS1 won't talk to a new on DOS2. Your best options in my opinion is to source an used Silver running DOS1 and a Dialog on DOS1, or sell your Silver and buy two new Phantoms.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
Prefer option of selling the Silver and getting 2 new ones. Even two Reactor 900s will sound good.
There is also the option of Direct optical mode which can be tried now before purchasing more hardware.
This puts the emphasis on the Apple TV to work effectively for Apple Music.

Nb - this low latency mode will also be useful for the DJ use mentioned unlike the new Phantom/Reactor hardware.
(09-Sep-2020, 13:52)alandbush Wrote: There is also the option of Direct optical mode which can be tried now before purchasing more hardware.
This puts the emphasis on the Apple TV to work effectively for Apple Music.

Nb - this low latency mode will also be useful for the DJ use mentioned unlike the new Phantom/Reactor hardware.

Good choice! I totally forgot about the optical direct mode.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage