Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reliability of Bluetooth with Golds
Presently I drive my Stereo Golds via

MacMini 2014, Roon > optical > Dialog > Ethernet > Golds

I am wondering, if I remove the Dialog intermediate, I could theoretically connect my Mini by Bluetooth and remove the ethernet cables. Regarding this potential setup I have a few questions:

Is the classic version of Bluetooth (4) be able to transmit higher sampling rates than CD?
In your experience, how reliable is such a setup?
Will Bluetooth involve  a considerable loss of sound quality?

Thanks a lot for any answer.
(10-Jan-2021, 15:00)Mohmm Wrote: Presently I drive my Stereo Golds via

MacMini 2014, Roon > optical > Dialog > Ethernet > Golds

I am wondering, if I remove the Dialog intermediate, I could theoretically connect my Mini by Bluetooth and remove the ethernet cables. Regarding this potential setup I have a few questions:

Is the classic version of Bluetooth (4) be able to transmit higher sampling rates than CD?
In your experience, how reliable is such a setup?
Will Bluetooth involve  a considerable loss of sound quality?

Thanks a lot for any answer.

Bluetooth is lossy and can't even transmit CD quality. I would not recommend it. If you'd like to get rid of the Dialog, stream Roon via AirPlay you the speakers. You'll get 16/44, anything above will be downsampled. I believe the speakers have to be connected to your router.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
Only Bluetooth HD (or aptX HD) is lossless, capable of 24/48. The standard (by Qualcomm) has been here since 2016 but it seems only a few are using it. Devialet is not among those... Requires hardware to work so you cannot have it via software.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
My opinion on sound quality ranking, from OK to best:
Bluetooth, Optical, Airplay/WiFi, (PLC), Ethernet

While you cannot use PLC to connect to the Phantoms, it is the 2nd best internal connection.

If you must get rid of the cables, then suggest Airplay to connect to Phantoms and use PLC between Phantoms. RAAT may come out soon and likely to be better than RAAT.Airplay.
Thanks to all.

The fact that Airplay is not via Bluetooth is new to me, thanks. But doesn't that mean that it's using my ethernet cabling?

In any case I want to avoid PLC.
It seems that my MacMini (2014) is not capable of Airplay 2. The Golds still need to be connected to Ethernet, but of course I can now disconnect the Dialog. Without Dialog it means one step less processing nd perhaps better SQ.
Do I understand Airplay 2 correctly? Does my MacMini send the signal completely via ethernet?
Currently, the Golds can only do Airplay 1. Airplay 2 is coming, one day... Airplay uses WiFi.

In DOS2, no difference between using Dialog or not. DOS2 sounded sightly better than DOS1.
(11-Jan-2021, 22:04)Snoopy8 Wrote: Currently, the Golds can only do Airplay 1. Airplay 2 is coming, one day... Airplay uses WiFi.

In DOS2, no difference between using Dialog or not. DOS2 sounded sightly better than DOS1.

This is not exactly right. If your Phantoms are connected to your network via Ethernet, then AirPlay will work over Ethernet, not WiFi.
(12-Jan-2021, 02:10)andrewmg Wrote: This is not exactly right. If your Phantoms are connected to your network via Ethernet, then AirPlay will work over Ethernet, not WiFi.
Oops! You are correct...