Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Roon RAAT and "An audio file is loading slowly"
@Manfred, hi Manfred as I see you use a FritzBox.  If you look into the event list, do you find there an entry multicast ... (see picture)?

Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
I will apologise in advance for what may seem to be an off topic post, the last thing I want is to derail this thread. The point is though, I have noticed some odd behaviour in Roon over the last few months, which just might be relevant.

I normally run Roon via HQPlayer to a sMS-200Ultra, but the behaviour I am describing here applies equally if I run Roon direct to the sMS-200Ultra, or indeed if I run Roon direct to the Devialet in it's Roon Ready mode.

What happens is that I start my Windows 10 PC, set up whatever playback mode I want to use, either the sMS-200Ultra, HQPlayer or the Devialet. To be clear, it does not matter what mode of playback I use. I then start Roon, select the appropriate zone for my method of playback, select a track and select play. What happens next is nothing appears to happen, no music plays, no error messages, just a delay, then after maybe two to four minutes, music starts playing. After this, Roon works fine. For example, once playing, if I select a new track and hit play, the new track plays within a second. As I said before, this happens if I use the sMS-200 in Roon mode, or if I run Roon, HQPlayer, sMS-200. Indeed, I get the same behaviour if I use the Devialet's Roon Ready mode direct. As an example, I tried the Devilaet Roon Ready mode this morning, I started Roon, selected a track, and it took over three and a half minutes before music started playing. Selected a second track, this played within about a second, normal behaviour. Interestingly, when selecting a third track, I got some stuttering and the dreaded "audio file is loading slowly message", from then on Roon appeared to run as it should, at least until I finally stumbled across a 24/192 track which stuttered. Back with the sMS-200Ultra, all is fine, 24/192 tracks work perfectly, same network, same PC, so there does seem to be a problem unique to the Devialet's Roon ready mode in my set up.

The point is, irrespective of which of the ways I use Roon, I get this curious behaviour of it taking about two minutes or more to play the first track, sometimes as long as four minutes. This seams to me to be a fairly trivial thing for Roon (or any music player) to do, from a perspective of processor load once Roon is loaded and up and running. So maybe not directly related to the audio file is loading slowly problem, but maybe it is? I mean, what exactly is Roon doing for almost four minutes before playing the first track? This seems odd to me. I think we have a tendency to blame Devialet for this issue, but it seems to me that all is not as it should be in the latest release of Roon, at least in my set up. So maybe off topic, maybe not, consider this food for thought whilst we wait for this issue to be sorted out.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
@Confused - I have not seen this exact problem, but I have occasionally seen the music stop after a few seconds of playing the first track I select. I then hit stop and then play again, and all is well. The problem never reoccurs during the same listening session. But it doesn't happen every time. What I will try the next time it occurs is to NOT hit stop and then play but rather, let it sit for a few minutes just to see if it restarts itself eventually as you've experienced.

I will say that I do stream Roon to several other Roon Ready endpoints and this problem has never occurred to those endpoints. Only with my Devialet.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
mmhh ?

I am back from holidays and plugged in the power cable and the ethernet cable in my Expert. Result with Roon: heavy noises, slowly loading" message and music stops. After that the Expert disappeared in Roon with RAAT; Roon Air was still there but didn´t worked. Spotify Connect and UPnP also didn´t worked.

All other devices in the network worked without problems - except my Phantoms but only with Roon - no sound. Changing the ethernet connection didn´t help.

No ethernet network connection was possible to start the web-configuration.

Then I started the Expert without my SD-configuration (SAM enabled) and the Expert worked without problems with ethernet and/or WLAN. Next I tried to start it again with my SD-card configuration. Same problem with ethernet - the Expert disappeared from the network. Then I plugged ethernet cable off and used WLAN with my SD configuration - result: the Expert was coming back in the network and worked since 3h without problems with my SD card configuration, Spotify Connect and UPnP.

I havn´t changed the SD card configuration and it worked before, but with the slowly loading bug. Now it seems that the ethernet SD configuration is completely broken.

I am not sure if this is a further ethernet problem with the Expert. Any opinions ?
Formerly Devialet 220PRO CI, Magico A3, 2 Gold Phantoms, Dialog/Raspberry PI2 Digi+, ROON Rock NUC8i3, Bluesound Powernode 2i, B&W 607, Audirvana
I wonder if somehow your config file got corrupted... Have you tried rechecking/regenerating it from the Devialet website configurator?

The "slowly loading..." error has been there ever since Roon RAAT was first supported in the latest Devialet DOS/firmware. No update on that (from Roon nor Devialet).
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Durham, NC USA
As I previously mentioned, I opened another ticket with Devialet inquiring as to the status of this issue.   The response I received is disheartening and lacking any further insight....  The response from Harp...

"I am very sorry to inform you that nothing new on our side yet ! "

So I do hope someone has the opportunity to pose the question to Matthieu Pernot at the upcoming UK dealer events in July.
Durham, NC USA
Not directly related to the Devialet issue, but this might give ideas as to what is going on. SOtM have released a new firmware update for the sMS-200. This includes settings to select 100BASE-T or 1000BASE-T. There is also an auto negotiation on / off setting.

I tried this with Roon this morning. What I have found is that with Roon, 100BASE-T and auto negotiation "on" selected, I get a bright green light on my Ethernet switch, which shows it is actually running 1000BASE-T. Everything works perfectly in terms of stutter free playback. I can then switch to Roon, 100BASE-T and auto negotiation "off", I get an orange light on my Ethernet switch, which shows it is running 100BASE-T, Roon does not work, with stuttering then the "an audio file is loading slowly" error message.

As another observation @octaviars has just posted on the AS forum that he can run 100BASE-T and auto negotiation off without issue, whereas I get "an audio file is loading slowly", he is running Roon ROCK on a NUC, I am running a Windows PC. I wonder what is actually making the difference?

Quite how this relates to the Devialet RAAT issue I am not quite sure, but it might give some clues?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(30-Jun-2019, 11:56)Confused Wrote: Not directly related to the Devialet issue, but this might give ideas as to what is going on.  SOtM have released a new firmware update for the sMS-200.  This includes settings to select 100BASE-T or 1000BASE-T.  There is also an auto negotiation on / off setting.

I tried this with Roon this morning.  What I have found is that with Roon, 100BASE-T and auto negotiation "on" selected, I get a bright green light on my Ethernet switch, which shows it is actually running 1000BASE-T.  Everything works perfectly in terms of stutter free playback.  I can then switch to Roon, 100BASE-T and auto negotiation "off", I get an orange light on my Ethernet switch, which shows it is running 100BASE-T, Roon does not work, with stuttering then the "an audio file is loading slowly" error message.

As another observation @octaviars has just posted on the AS forum that he can run 100BASE-T and auto negotiation off without issue, whereas I get "an audio file is loading slowly", he is running Roon ROCK on a NUC, I am running a Windows PC.  I wonder what is actually making the difference?

Quite how this relates to the Devialet RAAT issue I am not quite sure, but it might give some clues?

Hello Confused, I have experienced the same with MacMini and Roon Rock! Sad
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Roon-RAA...ly?page=12
# 120 / #125
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
The "an audio file is loading slowly" issue is getting some interest in the OAC event thread. This post is in part inspired by @David A 's post there:

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-UK-event...8#pid85588

David's idea seams like a good one to me, although to be frank I cannot see Devialet communicating in the way he suggests, it just isn't going to happen. So in the absence of Devialet suddenly actively communicating with everyone, I think the next best thing would be to see if we can accumulate some useful data here, in terms of which routers / switches work and which do not.

I suspect that we will not get enough data to solve this one, but it is easy enough to do so worth giving a go I think. If we do happen to find some commonality between users either with or without the issue, then this may give some clues as to where the issue is. If we do get some interesting data then I would be happy to email this to Mathieu Pernot.

I have the issue, and in my case I am using the router that is imposed on me by my cable company, Virgin Media. In my case I have a Virgin Media Superhub 2ac, which is (according to the internet) a Netgear CG4000TD (VMDG485) distributed. As for my switch, this would appear to be irrelevant in my case. I get the error message with the switch in place, and exactly the same behaviour if I do not use the switch at all and run ethernet from the router direct to the Devialet. This is running Roon on a Windows 10 PC.
@Confused ,

I also can't see Devialet taking up my idea which is a little surprising given Ian's comment that Mathieu seems to love data and his request for digital recordings of people with the phono stage problem which was also discussed.

In my case I've had the problem occasionally but not often. I run my Roon core on a Nucleus+. I use a Netgear Orbi RB40 as my router but it's in another room to my Nucleus+ and Devialet so I'm using a switch. I've used a Netgear GS105 and also an Orbi RB40 satellite as the switch. I got the problem very noticeably when I had Roon upsample everything to 192/24 but if I don't have Roon upsample and I send everything at its native resolution I'm pretty well problem free. The highest resolution files I have on the Nucleus+ are a single disc, the Thelonius Monk release in the Devialet unknown series of recordings, which is 176.4/24 and it plays without problems. The thing which really seems to trigger the issue for me is streaming at 192/24. I swapped to using a Cisco SG110D-05 switch a week ago and haven't had any problems with it at all, even when I had Roon upsample everything to 192/24 for a couple of hours. The router, the Orbi hub, is unlikely to be the issue since the switch will be making the connection between the Nucleus+ and Devialet without the hub being involved in the signal path.

I've also run without a switch by using a USB to ethernet adapter connected to a USB port on the Nucleus+ giving me 2 network ports on the Nucleus+. That allows a direct ethernet connection between the Nucleus+ and the Devialet using manual IP addresses and I then can connect the Nucleus+ directly to the router. I tried that both ways with the Devialet connected to the ethernet port of the Nucleus+ and with it connected to the USB port on the Nucleus+ via the adapter. Again no problems with streaming at native resolution and also no problems streaming with Roon upsampling everything to 192/24 when I tried that for a few hours.

In summary I've had the problem but while I've very occasionally seen it when streaming at native resolutions other than 192/24, I've really only seen it when streaming at 192/24 when I've had Roon upsample everything and even then it hasn't consistently occurred with or without either the Netgear or Cisco switches, both of which are unmanaged, or with the Orbi satellite.

For info, the reason for changing to the Cisco switch was a comment made around a year ago by my installer when I had him install a wired connection between the room where my router and computer are located and the room where the audio system was located. He made a comment at the time that Netgear switches could cause problems with audio streaming but didn't elaborate on that. I had no problems with the Netgear switch when streaming with Roon AIR prior to the release of the Roon Ready update and I had no problems using Roon AIR with it when I tried that briefly after the Roon Ready update.

From my experience I'd say the problem isn't with Roon. There may be an issue with the Devialet firmware but I think the critical issue lies elsewhere in the network. The amount of data being streamed seems to be important since when I've had the problem it has almost always been when streaming at 192/24 rather than at native resolution since all of my files are at lower resolution to that. While I've very occasionally had problems streaming at lower resolutions than 192/24 those problems may simply have been due to a completely unrelated network "glitch" at the time. In my case it's been streaming at 192/24 that has been the overwhelmingly most common factor and that's largely/totally been with the Netgear GS105 switch. I can't guarantee that it will never occur with either the Orbi hub or Cisco switch because I don't normally upsample things, I leave it to the Devialet to upsample everything to 192/24 which it does with lower resolution streams, and I've only used upsampling by Roon for brief periods to see whether the problem would occur consistently at that resolution and it hasn't.

Streaming has always been at gigabit speed with the switches and Orbi hub. With the direct connection I tried 2 USB adapters, an Apple USB 2 adapter which is 10/100 ethernet and a USB3 adapter which provided a gigabit connection.

In summary, I've really only had issues with RAAT over a gigabit connection when streaming at 192/24 and then not with some of the different connection paths I've tried. I think the amount of data involved with the stream is definitely part of the issue and it seems that the Netgear GS105 switch may be implicated in my case but the issue has also been intermittent with 192/24 streaming and the GS105, it wasn't consistently present and I could stream at 192/24 for some hours without the issue cropping up at times. I can't say that it wouldn't crop up with the other network setups I've tried because I've really only tried 192/24 for brief periods of a couple of hours with them and I actually tried it for 2 or 3 days with the GS105.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia