Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roon - the next step?
(23-Oct-2018, 22:43)Confused Wrote:
(23-Oct-2018, 22:26)Womaz Wrote:
(23-Oct-2018, 22:21)Confused Wrote: Sonic Transporter, maybe with mR?  You could hide it out of sight?

https://www.vortexbox.co.uk/SGC_Sonic_Tr...27482.aspx

ONE BOX!!!  Big Grin  Big Grin  like I say a lot to ponder.
I am not that good with all of this as you know and I only realised today that when Melco is roon ready I can have my usb connection and have the lap top in other room as the roon core ......this was after a few days of contemplation and finally deciding to get rid of it  Big Grin

You could glue them together? Sad

Blue Peter style Big Grin
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(23-Oct-2018, 22:47)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(23-Oct-2018, 22:43)Confused Wrote:
(23-Oct-2018, 22:26)Womaz Wrote: ONE BOX!!!  Big Grin  Big Grin  like I say a lot to ponder.
I am not that good with all of this as you know and I only realised today that when Melco is roon ready I can have my usb connection and have the lap top in other room as the roon core ......this was after a few days of contemplation and finally deciding to get rid of it  Big Grin

You could glue them together? Sad

Big Grin

When’s the last time you tried RoonAIR Womaz? I’m convinced it’s the simplest and best setup of your current options for Roon, and you can hide the laptop out of sight and use an iPad to control it. And reinstate the Mel or if it becomes Roonified.  Then you don’t need to buy anything.... but only you can decide....

Roon Air ? I assume that’s what I am using . Or was whilst using the Ethernet connection. Yes it’s posisble that I may end up sticking with this to see how it goes
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Roon performance = core quality and memory
If you're happy with the Melco sound and it's going to become a Roon endpoint then I suggest getting an i7 NUC. I put one together with a mate of mine and it really is a piece of cake. It's lightening fast too. You can put is somewhere else in the house so it won't look like another piece of hardware in the living room. The mayor advantage here is that you can replace your endpoint (the Melco) at any time in the future if something better comes along and you don't have to worry about setting up a server again. Just plug in the new endpoint and start listening.

Of course it's tempting to get a one box solution but if you think long term, a proper Roon setup has a Core (server), a control point (laptop, phone or iPad) and an endpoint. It might look more complicated having the extra box but if you think about it, you'll actually be simplifying things because the server never needs to be updated. Don't underestimate the power of a solid base. A Nucleus as a server does exactly the same as a NUC but costs considerably more. That's money you could put towards a better endpoint.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(23-Oct-2018, 23:08)ghosttipper Wrote: Roon  performance = core quality and memory

And the amount of performance you need depends on library size, number of zones and upsampling / convolution requirements. If some of all are small then you don’t need much power for decent performance

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(23-Oct-2018, 23:21)Pim Wrote: If you're happy with the Melco sound and it's going to become a Roon endpoint then I suggest getting an i7 NUC. I put one together with a mate of mine and it really is a piece of cake. It's lightening fast too. You can put is somewhere else in the house so it won't look like another piece of hardware in the living room. The mayor advantage here is that you can replace your endpoint (the Melco) at any time in the future if something better comes along and you don't have to worry about setting up a server again. Just plug in the new endpoint and start listening.

Of course it's tempting to get a one box solution but if you think long term, a proper Roon setup has a Core (server), a control point (laptop, phone or iPad) and an endpoint. It might look more complicated having the extra box but if you think about it, you'll actually be simplifying things because the server never needs to be updated. Don't underestimate the power of a solid base. A Nucleus as a server does exactly the same as a NUC but costs considerably more. That's money you could put towards a better endpoint.

Great post thank you . You make some very good points and I have never really looked at it from that angle . Also I do really like the sound of the Melco so it might be a consideration to wait until it is roon ready and see how I feel. I have two lap tops and I have been running roon core on my work lap top. But this was by Ethernet and I got sick of carrying it through to the living room for serious listening . As like I say usb sounds better in my system / room.
So I got a new lap top and switched roon core to that . One week in and I really don’t like the lap top sitting in my living room at all so I am not happy with that .
The NUC is an interesting option for sure but I think the new lap top would suffice for that.
I think after sleeping on it the Melco may stay until I see what it’s like with roon. Problem is they are rather like Devialet in that they are slow to deliver this type of thing
(24-Oct-2018, 09:34)Womaz Wrote:
(23-Oct-2018, 23:21)Pim Wrote: If you're happy with the Melco sound and it's going to become a Roon endpoint then I suggest getting an i7 NUC. I put one together with a mate of mine and it really is a piece of cake. It's lightening fast too. You can put is somewhere else in the house so it won't look like another piece of hardware in the living room. The mayor advantage here is that you can replace your endpoint (the Melco) at any time in the future if something better comes along and you don't have to worry about setting up a server again. Just plug in the new endpoint and start listening.

Great post thank you . You make some very good points and I have never really looked at it from that angle . Also I do really like the sound of the Melco so it might be a consideration to wait until it is roon ready and see how I feel.  I have two lap tops and I have been running roon core on my work lap top. But this was by Ethernet and I got sick of carrying it through to the living room for serious listening . As like I say usb sounds better in my system / room.
So I got a new lap top and switched roon core to that . One week in and I really don’t like the lap top sitting in my living room at all so I am not happy with that .
The NUC is an interesting option for sure but I think the new lap top would suffice for that.
I think after sleeping on it the Melco may stay until I see what it’s like with roon. Problem is they are rather like Devialet in that they are slow to deliver this type of thing

You should be able to close the laptop and use an iPad to control it so you could just put the laptop somewhere you can't see it. With two laptops you could even have one as core and one as endpoint. Or one as core/endpoint and one as control. Just more to contemplate, sorry.  Smile
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Soundwise the processing power is noticeable.

I got this information from a developer in Germany.

Greets
Using Roon since some time, really happy. Music collection about 5000 disc.
I disagree with the statement that processor power has any influence on the sound! If this has not been proven seriously, it should not been spread on the forum!
My advice would be to use a fan-less laptop like Microsoft surface, I3 or I5 processor including SSD disk would completely do the job. It will allow to have multiple streams at the same time to your devices like e.g. Devialet, Linn or very cheap Chromcast Audio, if you like. Wireless LAN is not a good idea for the core in Roon.
There are DSP functions possible in Roon like room correction, also data will be resampled if your endpoint won't be able to handle the audio format. With these cases a higher processor makes sense and you might get a worse sound if your chosen processor won't be able to handle all necessary tasks.
In standard usage, any old laptop fulfilling the requirements of Roon will do its job. You might have a reason for a personnel upgrade of your laptop now?
220 Expert Pro - MagicoA3 - Linn Streaming - Linn LP12 Vinyl - DS-Audio 003 - PS Audio PP12 - Uptone EtherRegen - AfterDark Clock - Acourate room correction via Roon - Qobuz
Germany - Hamburg
(24-Oct-2018, 14:17)listener Wrote: Using Roon since some time, really happy. Music collection about 5000 disc.
I disagree with the statement that processor power has any influence on the sound! If this has not been proven seriously, it should not been spread on the forum!
My advice would be to use a fan-less laptop like Microsoft surface, I3 or I5 processor including SSD disk would completely do the job. It will allow to have multiple streams at the same time to your devices like e.g. Devialet, Linn or very cheap Chromcast Audio, if you like. Wireless LAN is not a good idea for the core in Roon.
There are DSP functions possible in Roon like room correction, also data will be resampled if your endpoint won't be able to handle the audio format. With these cases a higher processor makes sense and you might get a worse sound if your chosen processor won't be able to handle all necessary tasks.
In standard usage, any old laptop fulfilling the requirements of Roon will do its job. You might have a reason for a personnel upgrade of your laptop now?

Isn't your 2nd comment contradicting your 1st comment?  Rolleyes
1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)