Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reflections and directivity
How omni-directional are the phantom golds? Is there any data or graphs?

I will be using them with BACCH4Mac which works better the less first reflections there are. I will be treating the floor, ceilings and side walls. I wonder if there are significant reflections from the wall behind the phantoms that would also need to be treated?
(03-Mar-2020, 14:56)Onion Wrote: How omni-directional are the phantom golds? Is there any data or graphs?

I will be using them with BACCH4Mac which works better the less first reflections there are. I will be treating the floor, ceilings and side walls. I wonder if there are significant reflections from the wall behind the phantoms that would also need to be treated?

Although the following measurements are for a Phantom Reactor, they may be useful.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum...ost-269190
Thank you! Looks like there will be significant rear wall reflections as well - absorption all round then!
For the BACCH process a pair of Kii three or the D&D 8c may be a better choice due to the cardioid response these have. A pair of Phantoms may work well, it's a very good speaker, but you will really have to deal with reflections.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(03-Mar-2020, 14:56)Onion Wrote: I will be treating the floor, ceilings and side walls. I wonder if there are significant reflections from the wall behind the phantoms that would also need to be treated?
Mine are in a large open plan family with glass on front and 1 side. Side has heavy curtains, front has blinds which I thought helped but didn't. Ended up with absorbers at bottom of window which worked well. Not possible to treat 2 sides. With high ceilings, first reflection not a big problem. Floor has a rug, room has lots of soft furnishings. 

Not the pergect setup, but satisfied with it. And I am using convolution room correction. See my setup.

Don't forget to properly position the Golds in the room like you would any speaker.