Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spark and DOS2
How hard would it be for Devialet to make spark support DOS2? What if I setup upnp server and use Spark to fetch music from it? I connect Optical from Dialog to Phantom, and use Dialog as a music source? Would that not open the best of both worlds to us? I don´t want to lose Spark as I like it. But at the same time, but I don´t want to feel left behind with all the new updates coming with DOS2 in the futures either.

Just a though...
(17-Nov-2019, 11:01)hydr Wrote: How hard would it be for Devialet to make spark support DOS2? What if I setup upnp server and use Spark to fetch music from it? I connect Optical from Dialog to Phantom, and use Dialog as a music source? Would that not open the best of both worlds to us? I don´t want to lose Spark as I like it. But at the same time, but I don´t want to feel left behind with all the new updates coming with DOS2 in the futures either.

Just a though...

It actually wouldn’t be as hard as it seems to just rewrite some of Spark to understand the new DOS2 firmware in the speakers. It would just be unnecessary because the new app is a lot better and it is more so the actual firmware features of DOS2 that are limiting the units at the moment. In the future all the features being asked for (like EQ) will be added except the native streaming options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Devialet Phantom (White)
The best move from Devialet would be to publish the DOS1 and Spark on a public domain license. As they are/were already using quite some bits and pieces from open source it would be only fair to users to allow them to continue maintaining Spark and DOS1 as community. Great stuff could come out of such a move that probably also Devialet could benefit. I do not see any benefit for Devialet to continue maintain Spark/DOS1 but for the community I would see real incentive. There could be so much more made with the speakers than what liability of Devialet limits them.
(17-Nov-2019, 17:17)streamy Wrote: The best move from Devialet would be to publish the DOS1 and Spark on a public domain license. As they are/were already using quite some bits and pieces from open source it would be only fair to users to allow them to continue maintaining Spark and DOS1 as community. Great stuff could come out of such a move that probably also Devialet could benefit. I do not see any benefit for Devialet to continue maintain Spark/DOS1 but for the community I would see real incentive. There could be so much more made with the speakers than what liability of Devialet limits them.
I tend to agree, people who know how could make the changes they ask for. Who would make sure that nobody made changes that bricked everybody's kit though?
Back when I wrote and used software I saw people release some really bad code for MS-DOS and Windows...
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(17-Nov-2019, 17:22)f1eng Wrote:
(17-Nov-2019, 17:17)streamy Wrote: The best move from Devialet would be to publish the DOS1 and Spark on a public domain license. As they are/were already using quite some bits and pieces from open source it would be only fair to users to allow them to continue maintaining Spark and DOS1 as community. Great stuff could come out of such a move that probably also Devialet could benefit. I do not see any benefit for Devialet to continue maintain Spark/DOS1 but for the community I would see real incentive. There could be so much more made with the speakers than what liability of Devialet limits them.
I tend to agree, people who know how could make the changes they ask for. Who would make sure that nobody made changes that bricked everybody's kit though?
Back when I wrote and used software I saw people release some really bad code for MS-DOS and Windows...
Sure this risk would be mainly on DOS1. ‘Spark open’ could probably crash or not function, but very limited brick the Phantoms. But since DOS1 is built on Linux code, at least this is my guess of seeing parts that Devialet open sourced and what is visible in communication protocols, I think there are quite a number of hobbyists around that could work on the code base. Of course without any liability and guarantee that such mods would work.
Devialet will focus of DOS 2 improvement this make me think DOS1 is obsolete
This also make me think early versions of Phantoms have now reached the end of their life cycle since they are not up-gradable.
I'm very curious to see how Devialet is going to handle the fragmentation of their fleet.
Every DOS X should at least be retro compatible with older hardware and older features.
Please excuse my poor reputation