Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaker cable advice for Devialet 120 + PMC Twenty.23...
Hi Stuart... I'm not familiar with your speakers so looked them up online... I'm quoting here from the first review I read which was overall quite positive:

"The top end is quite strong, relatively speaking, but only rarely to the point where it becomes in any way intrusive."

"It’s certainly true that the overall character is on the dry and cool side of neutrality and could, perhaps, do with a bit more weight and warmth."

(http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/news/article...;2095/9240)

This might help explain some of the top end brightness/harshness you're hearing as opposed to the inherent characteristics of the cables being auditioned.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Stuart - just a thought: have you tried playing with the tone controls at all? Maybe applying some treble cut would help. The filter cut-off frequency can be set in the configurator, after which the boost/cut can be adjusted from the remote control. (Disclaimer: I haven't tried this myself.)
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Hi all, thanks for all your comments. The Isolda's are very good, don't get me wrong, and perhaps my issue with the harshness is actually mainly down to the source. It sounds very grating when listening to internet radio (mainly speaking stations like radio 4). Otherwise I like them a lot.

The bass extension is fantastic and way better than the Tellurium Q Ultra Blacks I was borrowing, but the mid range isn't as sweet as the Ultras.

Will also try the treble cutoff when listening to the radio.

I've just replaced the brass with some silver wire, but I can't hear much difference. Maybe worth buying the isolda bridges. Or bi-wire my speakers? Anyone done this / notice any improvements?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I consider the small PMC 21-5 with my DEV 400 (maybe too much power for those speakers ?) due to my small new listening room.
How sounds the Dev with PMC ? I heard PMC 24 in a showroom and was impressed by the quality
DEVIALET 400 - RPI3 + DIGIONE picoreplayer - APERTURA ONIRA -
With the PMC Twenty.23 & D120, I recommend Audioquest Rocket 88 in SingleBiWire if budget is tight. Or else, Audioquest Aspen in SingleBiWire.
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
I have D120 + PMC Twenty5.23, and I have spent a long time getting it how I want it. I spent a month comparing TQBlack (original) against some thick Atlas cable that was a bit more expensive, and concluded that although the Atlas was more solid & weighty, I preferred the sweetness of the TQ, and that is what I have stuck with. (I suspect that sweetness can also change one's perception of warmth at the other end of the spectrum...)

Due to wide treble dispersal and rising treble trend, 23's need to be as far apart as possible, >70cm from side walls, and only slightly toed-in. For me this meant putting them against the longer wall of my 4.2x5m living room (against received wisdom). They are amazing at filling in the middle, but they DO have a 2KHz dip which recesses vocals and is a bit disappointing at their price level. However I have been happy to apply room EQ from an HTPC for years now, so I can lessen the effect of the narrow dip by gently modifying the frequency slopes either side of it. In my experience its the steepness of the slopes that's most noticable to the ear.

As I say, I'm happier than I've ever been with my sound right now. It's a shame that rooms have the potential to HALVE the quality of what you have paid for!
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.