Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaker upgrade options, options, options
So now I have upgraded my D200 to 400 some months ago, I do keep wondering if my Triangle Signature Delta's could appreciably be improved on?

Don't get me wrong, the Deltas are certainly a good speaker, and I agree with some reviewers that it is on the 'exciting' side, certainly not laid back as some speakers are.

I don't want to go way over-the-top, as I am sure there is a cut-off point where below that, you gain appreciable difference, and above, the gain in sonic pleasure decreases per extra coin you add to the spend.

I feel I may be missing something, but of course room size is important also. My room is about 16 x 13 feet.

So can anyone make some recommendations New or Used to get me started?

Here is a list of speakers I have read up on:

Magico S1
B&W 803
TAD Evolution one
Kef Blade 2

???????
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.
I'm no expert, but i would recommend you to listen to the Sonus Faber Olympica II of III.
Devialet 220 Pro / Wilson Benesch Vertex / Linn LP12 / Crystal Cable Crystalspeak Piccolo Diamond / Audioquest Vodka Ethernet / Roon / The Netherlands
I have the "original" KEF Blade. In fact I chose this as my next speaker, and then went hunting for the best amp to drive them, this lead me to the D240 (now an 800) I believe the Blade 2 is very similar to the original, I am sure it would work superbly with the D400. (AlexS has a pair now)

A while back I did audition the B&W 803's. This happened to be with a Naim front end. Good speakers, but they were not for me. In fact it was a slightly puzzling demo, as they sounded good with some material, but on one or two tracks, not so good. This was with similar music, I will never know quite why this was. With respect to the Blades they are a very different. The Blades have far more accurate bass, plus a very different character to bass response, the B&W's produced the bass with decent accuracy I think, but it was all very polite & British, would sir like to hear some nice bass reproduced now? The B&Ws would gently reproduce with great depth and accuracy, VS the Blades, that if required and if it's in the music, would be far more visceral, you would feel that bass drum kick, get that "at the gig" sensation, with the B&W's you could quietly analyse the reproduction. For certain, which you might prefer would be a matter of taste and preference. The Blades are good in other areas too, fast and detailed mids, no harshness to the treble, stereo imagery etc.

Picking up on KraaijCheck's post, I did hear the SF Olympica II's with a D400 once. To be honest, this was only a very quick listen to about three tracks, but clearly they were working well with the 400's. Plenty of bass power and an all 'round fun listen, very enjoyable as I recall. In this particular demo, I did think there was a slight harshness to the top end, but I know that I am quite sensitive to this kind of thing.

I think that of all hifi components, speakers are the one thing that fundamentally change the flavour of a system. You might hate the Blades if you get the chance to hear them, but my advice would be that it would be well worth the effort to try an track a pair down for a demo somewhere, might be a disappointment, might be a revelation. Good luck hunting!
Legacy Audio Signature SEs would work well in your room. They offer the Classic HD that isn't full range but is a really nice speaker.
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
As an Olympica II owner, I really think it is an amazing speaker. If the looks where to merit its sonic quality it would be made of gold! The speaker, as almost every SF design, already looks very good, but sounds much better.

It's hard to say, because to me it just sounds so right that it is difficult to point why. The highs are sweet and very extended, buf the bass is as well deep and very composed, so well layered... (SAM apparently lowers the bass to 23 Hz, almost full range). The midrange is so natural and present, that human voices are portrayed extremely realistic and vivid without sounding right into your face. Live concerts sound just like that, live. And classical music (one of my main music interests) is reproduced with such accuracy you can almost immediately recognise who the soloist or the conductor is.

Regarding the soundstage, I am sure it will fill well beyond your space, which is larger than mine. Soundstage depth is also something worth pointing out.

All in all, a very engaging speaker (and impressive combination with the Dev). 

As a low side, in my opinion, the Olympica's are quite picky regarding room interaction, so proper placement is essential. And to be honest, I haven't heard them anywhere (shows or dealers) sounding as good as in my own space at home.

Good luck hunting! Smile
Aurender X100 >> Totaldac USB cable >> D200 >> SF Olympica II

Italy
Of similar cost are the Wilson Sofia's, always one of the best all-rounders in the Wilson range, similar to a really good 75w amp!
You have a lot of choices, I strongly recommend you do a home demo if at all possible. Speakers are quite a personal choice and room interaction is also hard to predict.

Try SF Olympicas as per other postings. I also heard (and bought) PMC 20.26's after an exhaustive search of many options. Proac D30R also great too. Moving up the price ladder, I heard the B&W 802 several times, it's great and since it's been replaced you might find good ex-dem deals.
Pink Triangle Anniversary/SME IV/Hana Blue; Intel NUC + Roon ROCK; Devialet 440 Pro CI; Kudos Titan 707 using AXD; Kudos, Chord, Audioquest cables
Dublin, Ireland
(08-Oct-2015, 18:20)wiresandmore Wrote: You have a lot of choices, I strongly recommend you do a home demo if at all possible. Speakers are quite a personal choice and room interaction is also hard to predict.

Try SF Olympicas as per other postings. I also heard (and bought) PMC 20.26's after an exhaustive search of many options. Proac D30R also great too. Moving up the price ladder, I heard the B&W 802 several times, it's great and since it's been replaced you might find good ex-dem deals.

Nice options guys...

Silly, I know, but the old-fashioned 'Boxy' type speakers I am not sure I could live with after the Triangles, and I am certain my other-half would hate them, so PMC and Spendor are sadly out of my list, good that they reportedly are...

Frankly, looks are almost equally important these days (to get them passed the boss!)... otherwise my life will not be worth living, and divorce is way too expensive! Wink

Many seem to rate the B&W Diamonds, but after reading up, I wonder if they will be to laid back for me given I have got so used to the Triangles...

So far the list looks like:

Wilson Sophia - Someone mentioned Sophia, but wondered about Sabrina? Anyone care to comment?
Kef blades
Magico S?
SF Olympica II

Of course the next issue is how on earth do you find dealers close enough to audition (and then at home?)...sounds like this is going to take time....

Intrigued by the TADS but access to these I think would be an issue....

What about Martin Logan? Any experience on these?
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.
Most (maybe all) of your short list is available at Oxford Audio Consultants.  Might be worth a trip?
(09-Oct-2015, 09:26)teddlesdee Wrote:
(08-Oct-2015, 18:20)wiresandmore Wrote: You have a lot of choices, I strongly recommend you do a home demo if at all possible. Speakers are quite a personal choice and room interaction is also hard to predict.

Nice options guys...

Silly, I know, but the old-fashioned 'Boxy' type speakers I am not sure I could live with after the Triangles, and I am certain my other-half would hate them, so PMC and Spendor are sadly out of my list, good that they reportedly are...

Frankly, looks are almost equally important these days (to get them passed the boss!)... otherwise my life will not be worth living, and divorce is way too expensive!  Wink

Many seem to rate the B&W Diamonds, but after reading up, I wonder if they will be to laid back for me given I have got so used to the Triangles...

So far the list looks like:

Wilson Sophia - Someone mentioned Sophia, but wondered about Sabrina? Anyone care to comment?
Kef blades
Magico S?
SF  Olympica II

Of course the next issue is how on earth do you find dealers close enough to audition (and then at home?)...sounds like this is going to take time....

Intrigued by the TADS but access to these I think would be an issue....

What about Martin Logan? Any experience on these?

Hi teddlesdee,

Re the Wilson Sabrina, yes I did try them in my D400 system at home. They are detailed and open, and give a terrific soundstage, but to my ears they had a sharpness in the top end which was a little fatiguing for me - I couldn't relax and fully enjoy the music. I couldn't be sure whether this top end emphasis was speaker related, or room related. I was comparing them with my Wilson-Benesch ACT1s which were, to me, much more relaxing.

As has already been mentioned, there is no substitute for a home demo Smile .

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK