Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stereo Magazine Devialet 210 Pro Review
Star 
https://stereo-magazine.com/review/devia...+Dual+Mono
Pro-Ject CD BOX RS--Roon--Qobuz Studio--Technics SL-1200GR--Synergistic Research Tricon Analogue 20th Anniversary--AT-OC9XSL--AudioQuest Niagara 1200--AudioQuest NRG-Z3--Devialet 220 Pro CI--Kimber Kable 4PR--Harbeth SHL5--Sumiko S.9 Subwoofers--Sennheiser HD 540 Reference Gold--IsoAcoustics GAIA II and Orea Graphite
Alicante (Spain)
A strangely written and rather unstructured review. It concludes with the paragraph:

“Also, the full quality of reproduction can only be experienced if the correct mains polarity is used – otherwise the sound becomes slightly "glassy" and diffuse.”

What the heck do they mean by correct mains polarity? Nonsense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Roon Rock, Devialet 220 pro CI, Palmer 2.5 Turntable, AT OC9MLii, Classic Audio MC Pro Phono and Harbeth SHL5 Plus
The schuko plug used in many countries in Europe (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schuko) can be inserted into the wall socket in two ways. One way is formally the correct way. Doesn’t matter at all for lights for example but some audio equipment sounds better one way compared to the ‘other way’.

I’ve never tested it myself with my D after reading in a review the right way is how Devialet has implemented it internally. But yes, companies do mess this up, my PS Audio P3 Power Plant (original model) for example has the markings for line and neutral of the outputs reversed.

The ‘right’ way:
[Image: 11.png]
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
If the plug is inserted “the wrong way” should only mean that the live and neutral are inverted. If the equipment has a mains transformer it should make no difference at all.

Roon Rock, Devialet 220 pro CI, Palmer 2.5 Turntable, AT OC9MLii, Classic Audio MC Pro Phono and Harbeth SHL5 Plus
(02-Jul-2020, 23:05)disarmamant Wrote: If the plug is inserted “the wrong way” should only mean that the live and neutral are inverted. If the equipment has a mains transformer it should make no difference at all.

I don't think a traditional transformer is part of the switch mode power supply. Either way the phase will still change.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
I remembered some pictures of the power transformer of the D-Premier and found them again, see: https://www.stereophile.com/content/devi...ransformer Quite remarkable how small it is. I’m guessing the current implementation is very similar or unchanged.

While I agree with @disarmamant that it -should- not matter and repeating I haven’t tested it myself, things that should not matter sometimes do. It did for the reviewer and I do remember others here commenting on it as well. I’ll leave it at that. Wink
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
The Devialet Expert uses a planar transformer in the power supply.

Quote from the Devialet website.

“Power supply relies on a central transformer based on planar technology. It serves two purposes: spreading energy in packets and ensuring the electrical safety of the product by isolating the hazardous areas. Compact and perfectly symmetrical, the central transformer is far superior to traditional solutions in terms of efficiency and primary/secondary pollution.”

“Power supply is unaffected by the mains and runs silently with remarkably low electromagnetic disturbance. It is universal and compliant with all power grid supplies: 90-240Vac – 50/60Hz.”

(02-Jul-2020, 19:58)Antoine Wrote: The schuko plug used in many countries in Europe (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schuko) can be inserted into the wall socket in two ways. One way is formally the correct way. Doesn’t matter at all for lights for example but some audio equipment sounds better one way compared to the ‘other way’.

I’ve never tested it myself with my D after reading in a review the right way is how Devialet has implemented it internally. But yes, companies do mess this up, my PS Audio P3 Power Plant (original model) for example has the markings for line and neutral of the outputs reversed.

The ‘right’ way:

About the "right" way: that picture is the male connector or the female connector?
(03-Jul-2020, 20:47)daniel.avasilichioaei Wrote:
(02-Jul-2020, 19:58)Antoine Wrote: The schuko plug used in many countries in Europe (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schuko) can be inserted into the wall socket in two ways. One way is formally the correct way. Doesn’t matter at all for lights for example but some audio equipment sounds better one way compared to the ‘other way’.

The ‘right’ way:

About the "right" way: that picture is the male connector or the female connector?

I'd say "At tested device" means it's the female connection on the Expert itself. Or is that called the male connector because it has the pins? Modern times...
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
If it is in accordance with the standards, then it should refer to the cable connector (in fact, only to this you can identify the pins with a tension pencil), not to the connector in the amplifier.