Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Streaming Tidal (Master quality vs Hifi)
Hi all,

I have Phantom 1 108db in stereo. I stream Tidal music via airplay 2.

In my experience the hifi quality music numbers sounds better than the master quality music. (Master should be the higher quality)

Is anyone else experiencing the same? Or any thoughts about this?

Thanks!
Harmen
(13-Jul-2022, 20:18)harmen_phantom1 Wrote: Hi all,

I have Phantom 1 108db in stereo. I stream Tidal music via airplay 2.

In my experience the hifi quality music numbers sounds better than the master quality music. (Master should be the higher quality)

Is anyone else experiencing the same? Or any thoughts about this?

Thanks!
Harmen

Hi Harmen,

My first thought on the above is that you probably have a very good ear for listening for such things!

Tidal hifi will deliver lossless 16/44.1 files as unadulterated PCM, this should work well via AirPlay with a Phantom.

With Tidal masters you are listening to software decoded MQA, without the specific MQA filters. Strictly speaking, MQA is a lossy codec and in blind tests it has been demonstrated that there is no general preference for MQA over 16/44.1.

So in your case with Tidal Masters you are using a codec that is no better than 16/44.1 and even then you are not fully optimising this codec by using an MQA optimised filter. So from a technical perspective Tidal Hifi should sound best. In your case this seems to exactly what you are subjectively hearing.

So why not just stick with Tidal Hifi, get the sound you prefer, and save a little money on the Tidal subscription in the process?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(13-Jul-2022, 20:18)harmen_phantom1 Wrote: In my experience the hifi quality music numbers sounds better than the master quality music. (Master should be the higher quality)

"Master Quality" has been a sham, intent on taking over the entire music chain and making a few people rich, at the expense of all of us! In fact, they change the original master.

Wish there were more people like you, being able to tell that MQA has worse SQ.  However, if you post this on the Tidal forum, your post will be deleted and likely earn you a ban.
Wow, i'm startled. Thanks for your replies. At first I thought maybe it was me that I could'nt hear the details of the MQA but now it makes sense.

I'm definitely going to reconsider my subscription.
Also my respect Harmen to be ableto notice the difference between Hifi and Master!

If you want to listen to higher than 16/44.1 music , than have a look at the Wiim Mini Streaming player.
For less then 100 bucks you get 24/192 via Amazon Music HD or Qobuz. Additionally Alexa functionality with your Phantoms.

From what I know the Phantoms communicate in 24/48 in Stereo mode and probably everything higher than 24/48 gets downsampled as well in single mode.
But with your MQA proven ears you should notice the difference from 16bit to 24bit. The wiim mini will distribute it bit perfect to your speakers.
So, just to clarify, by using this, I will be able to directly stream Tidal, including MQA, directly to my Phantoms?
Will it use the highest quality available (24/96) direct to the Phantoms instead of having to go through my phone?

TIA
(15-Jul-2022, 11:15)harmen_phantom1 Wrote: Wow, i'm startled. Thanks for your replies. At first I thought maybe it was me that I could'nt hear the details of the MQA but now it makes sense.

I'm definitely going to reconsider my subscription.

Just checking, you are aware you need to use a UPnP player to get MQA quality from Tidal in your Phantoms? I use MconnectHD and I am pleased.