Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Switch-on/off click?
Does anyone else get any kind of switch-on or -off noise through the speakers from an Expert-series amp?

Up until a few days ago, my D440 Pro started up and shut down absolutely silently.  Over the week-end, though, I did a minor re-configuration with these changes:

* enabled the XLR input
* enabled a digital co-ax input
* sett the digital co-ax input to be the start-up default (before that, the optical digital input was default at start-up)

Since then, I'm hearing a small but distinct "click" from first the right speaker, then the left, as the amp comes out of standby, just before it displays the input/volume screen.  (It sounds like a small DC offset, but I doubt that's really the explanation.)  With my start-up volume set to -40 dB, it's just about audible from the listening position if the room's quiet.  I hear the same thing when I switch off the amp, but not when I switch between inputs.

In the scheme of things it's a pretty minor annoyance, but now I know it's there it's become an itch I need to scratch... 

Interested to know if anyone else has heard this, and if so whether/how you've managed to get rid of it.

Otherwise, I'll be trying a more scientific approach to sorting it out at the week-end if time allows.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Mine is completely silent. I have the AES/EBU and one digital coax input enabled, plus phono, USB and a line input. Start up defaults to the last input used.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Mine is also set to your old configuration; optical on start-up, and mine is completely silent too. Have you tried pulling the cables out of the default coax input to see if it's still there? it might come from the source connected to the input.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Thanks chaps.  Yes, the first thing I tried was pulling the cable from the co-ax input, but that didn't help.

Will keep you posted...
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
I first started hearing the click after I upgraded to a Pro.   It is fairly quiet so I haven't really been concerned.  Since others are NOT hearing it, I'll see if I can pin down when it occurs... I "think" I hear it more when switching inputs than when initially powering up.   I'll followup after I check it out this evening.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
There is certainly a faint click from each amplifier at switch on, but none from my speakers. There is a very slight click from each speaker when I switch the amps off.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
I get a small 'pop' but at switch off only. I find it quite reassuring - feels more like a 'real' amp to me now...

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(16-Feb-2017, 09:55)Hifi_swlon Wrote: I get a small 'pop' but at switch off only.  I find it quite reassuring - feels more like a 'real' amp to me now...

And I got the same sound in the beginning of every track when listening DSD64...
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
(16-Feb-2017, 02:53)Axel Wrote: There is certainly a faint click from each amplifier at switch on, but none from my speakers. There is a very slight click from each speaker when I switch the amps off.

Same here from D220p. 

D200 had quieter click when turning on.
Fanless HdPlex (HQPlayer) -> Merging Hapi -> Genelec 8351B
(14-Feb-2017, 21:48)thumb5 Wrote: Does anyone else get any kind of switch-on or -off noise through the speakers from an Expert-series amp?

Up until a few days ago, my D440 Pro started up and shut down absolutely silently.  Over the week-end, though, I did a minor re-configuration with these changes:

* enabled the XLR input
* enabled a digital co-ax input
* sett the digital co-ax input to be the start-up default (before that, the optical digital input was default at start-up)

Since then, I'm hearing a small but distinct "click" from first the right speaker, then the left, as the amp comes out of standby, just before it displays the input/volume screen.  (It sounds like a small DC offset, but I doubt that's really the explanation.)  With my start-up volume set to -40 dB, it's just about audible from the listening position if the room's quiet.  I hear the same thing when I switch off the amp, but not when I switch between inputs.

In the scheme of things it's a pretty minor annoyance, but now I know it's there it's become an itch I need to scratch... 

Interested to know if anyone else has heard this, and if so whether/how you've managed to get rid of it.

Otherwise, I'll be trying a more scientific approach to sorting it out at the week-end if time allows.

I hear it also but not thru the speakers but in the unit itself. Sounds like a relay switch. Bugs me to. My old 250 never had this issue. Might be worth asking the techs at Devialet what's up with it.
Devialet 250 Pro, Marantz SA-11 S2, Dell 2T HDD/250 SSD/24GB Mem.,using Fidelizer Pro software with JRivers. Hyperion 968 speakers. Cabling consists of Nordost Heimdall 2 power cables to all components with Nordost Qx4 inline to Devialet, all other wiring are Nordost Valhalla. I am tri-wiring the Hyperion 968s. 
 Less is More, more or less