Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USB to Spdif converter for D Prem
So i am considering an Audiophilleo 2 USB to Spdif converter to be able to "hardwire" my Dprem.
Will this work? will Roon still see the D Prem?
Roon sees my hardwired OD'A and says it is connected via Ethernet.
So the audiophilleo will simply convert the USB into spdif which i will plug into the spdif input on the DP.
Any help?

i'm assuming this will help with the "dropout" i experience with the DPrem wifi
Music Room:
Devialet ODA, Vivid Audio G2 Series 2, Linn LP 12, Hercules, Ekos Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Achromat, Dewaudio Starmap and Startrail, Magnum Dynalab Tuner, Theta Transport, Kimber KS 2120 Digital, VD Hul Suernova. 
Roon'd for life, Tidal.

Bedroom: Ming Da 300B pre, Pass Labs XA 30.5, Sonus Faber Olympica III, Aqua La Scala dac, Ifi Zen Stream

Johannesburg,
South Africa.
Audiophilleo won't work as it does not have an ethernet input.
Music Room:
Devialet ODA, Vivid Audio G2 Series 2, Linn LP 12, Hercules, Ekos Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Achromat, Dewaudio Starmap and Startrail, Magnum Dynalab Tuner, Theta Transport, Kimber KS 2120 Digital, VD Hul Suernova. 
Roon'd for life, Tidal.

Bedroom: Ming Da 300B pre, Pass Labs XA 30.5, Sonus Faber Olympica III, Aqua La Scala dac, Ifi Zen Stream

Johannesburg,
South Africa.
What does "hardwire" mean? Does the DPrem not have an ethernet port and you'd be able to stream from Roon Server to it over AIR, for example?
No, the original D-Premier didn't have ethernet. It didn't have wifi either until Devialet delivered an add-in card, but this wifi implementation was not good enough. If you're lucky you may get 16/44.1 through with Roon AIR, but you can generally forget stable 24bit streaming. It has always had the AES/EBU XLR input though. A DigiONE + a Neutrik NADITBNC-MX is a good and cheap solution today. Back then I used a Stello U3 for USB to S/PDIF.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Yeah, most likely will go the Raspberry route.
Music Room:
Roon'd for life, Tidal.

Johannesburg,
South Africa.
@georgev - Have you considered the Mutec MC3+USB? This is a more expensive option, but not only does it work perfectly, it also provides a decent hike in sound quality. Back when I had a D250 Expert (which is very similar to the D-Premier) I thought the MC3+USB was just about the best value thing I had bought for a while in terms of sound quality for the cash.

To be honest, I am not completely sure from your original post what your system is, specifically what you are using to run Roon and provide a USB feed. Maybe you can clarify?

Meanwhile, lots to read here:

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Mutec-MC...ight=mutec
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
So my Roon is on an HP server, gen 8.
This is connected to my home network.
It is in my study.
In my bedroom system, I run the DP.
In the bedroom I have a WiFi AP, and the dp receives the signal from that AP.
The AP is hardwired to the network.
The DP is less than 50cm from the AP.
When I had the 250pro I the bedroom I simply hooked it up via Ethernet.
That’s what I do with my O’dA.
Hope this helps.
The issue is that the DP doesn’t have an Ethernet input.
Music Room:
Roon'd for life, Tidal.

Johannesburg,
South Africa.
@georgev - it sounds to me as though you're looking for a way to get a network audio stream into your D-Premier - is that right?  If so, I am not sure how a USB-to-S/PDIF converter will help.  Is this the same thing you were asking about with your previous thread?  Using a network streamer sounds like the answer you're looking for.  There is a wide choice from DIY (e.g. based on Raspberry Pi as outlined later in that thread) or off-the-shelf, depending on your budget and taste.  Or have I missed the point completely?
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
@georgev - Picking up on thumb5's point above, I guess the issue here is that not only does the D-Premier not have a wired Ethernet connection, but also it does not have USB.

So thumb is right, a USB-to-S/PDIF converter will not help you directly in terms of getting Roon into your D-Premier. However, it will allow you to use a USB device that has both an Ethernet input and is Roon Ready, and there are many of these available at a whole range of prices.

Maybe we can ask a more straight forward question? Given an available Ethernet feed, how to get Roon into a D-Premier?

A relatively low cost but slightly DIY solution is the Raspberry Pi / Digi+ option as mentioned by others.

As it happens, when I had D250, I was running a microRendu + Mutec MC3+USB. I landed on this solution primarily in a (successful) quest for better sound quality. But as it happens this would also be a great way to get Roon into a D-Premier, this set up would achieve exactly what you want to do, with decent sound quality as a bonus. So one box to do the Ethernet to USB and Roon Ready bit, another box to go USB to AES/EBU into the Devialet

To expand on the above, there are very many variations on the microRendu +MC3+USB idea. Rather than a microRendu, you could use the later ultraRendu, the SOtM sMS-200 (or ultra or Neo versions), options from Auralic, many others, or even build a NUC for the job. Similarly, there are alternatives to the Mutec MC3+USB. A favourite for many is the Singxer SU-1, but there are others.

There are also devices that will accept Ethernet, are Roon Ready and could output S/PDID to the D-Premier. The dCS Network Bridge, the Antopides Edge, Auralic G1 or G2, and others., such as the dCS Vivaldi Upsampler, although this is incredibly expensive, and the original (now discontinued) Sonore Signature Rendu.

The Raspberry Pi / Digi+ option will certainly do the job, some other options might (arguably) sound better, some might (arguably) look a bit nicer. Depends what you want really?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Georgev, this would also be a solution as well:

https://allo.com/sparky/digione-signatur...html#specs

Has SPDIF out and is Roon ready.

-dave