Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What’s your preferred connection?
(12-Dec-2018, 00:46), kylevuong Wrote: @mmorrison55 

How many CDs do you have?
If it doesn’t take long to rip I would also recommend going for digital route with a music server.

Have a look at Small Green Computer and Innuos, they have great music server (for Roon core) plus CD Ripper built-in.
As in my case, I use a SonicTransporter i5 as my music server and I use my iMac to rip CD to the NAS.

I also have a Clearaudio Concept turntable and it’s connected to the Devialet via RCA input.

I don’t think you will need a Lumin U1 or Auralic Aries as you can stream Apple Music from mobile devices using Airplay (via AppleTV).

I don’t have a lot of cd’s. If I can find my stash from the 80’s and 90’s when I was a member of the Columbia house ?then I probably have a few hundred. If I can’t locate them in my shed, and only count what I have in the house, it’s closer to 40-50. So not a lot, but I have found a good used record and cd place in town so it could grow if I get into the ripping. Otherwise, I will guess,80-90% or more will be from music streaming services. Currently applemusic, but I’m skeptical of the quality of the Toslink from original appletv to devialet connection, and then using it as an airplay bridge from my iPad or iPhone applemusic app.

Does anyone know what the streaming bit rate max would be in that scenario? I can’t imagine it sounds as good as hi res tidal.

How do you like your clearaudio TT? What cartridge do you have and is there any hissing as some have reported with low output mc cartridges?

Thanks,

Mike
(12-Dec-2018, 01:52)mmorrison55 Wrote:
(12-Dec-2018, 00:46), kylevuong Wrote: @mmorrison55 

How many CDs do you have?
If it doesn’t take long to rip I would also recommend going for digital route with a music server.

Have a look at Small Green Computer and Innuos, they have great music server (for Roon core) plus CD Ripper built-in.
As in my case, I use a SonicTransporter i5 as my music server and I use my iMac to rip CD to the NAS.

I also have a Clearaudio Concept turntable and it’s connected to the Devialet via RCA input.

I don’t think you will need a Lumin U1 or Auralic Aries as you can stream Apple Music from mobile devices using Airplay (via AppleTV).

I don’t have a lot of cd’s. If I can find my stash from the 80’s and 90’s when I was a member of the Columbia house ?then I probably have a few hundred. If I can’t locate them in my shed, and only count what I have in the house, it’s closer to 40-50. So not a lot, but I have found a good used record and cd place in town so it could grow if I get into the ripping. Otherwise, I will guess,80-90% or more will be from music streaming services. Currently applemusic, but I’m skeptical of the quality of the Toslink from original appletv to devialet connection, and then using it as an airplay bridge from my iPad or iPhone applemusic app.

Does anyone know what the streaming bit rate max would be in that scenario? I can’t imagine it sounds as good as hi res tidal.

How do you like your clearaudio TT? What cartridge do you have and is there any hissing as some have reported with low output mc cartridges?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

Apple Music only stream 256kpbs so you can’t expect much from it, it will be mp3 quality.
Tidal is hifi streaming service and music quality will be as good as CD (1411kbps FLAC), however to me it’s pricey.
That’s why we all recommend to go with music server where you can stream lossless files.

Regarding the turntable, I’m pretty much settled down with the Clearaudio Concept. I read some reports about problem using low MC cart with Devialet so I stick to MM or high MC cartridge.
Since having the Devialet I had Ortofon 2M Black and now Dynavector 20x2H and it’s dead quiet even at high volume. The phono in the Devialet is so good!