Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What did Devialet use
As per the title, to develop their pro systems what loudspeakers did Devialet use as reference?

I currently use Harbeth P3 and while they sound great in some areas I feel they are less adept at revealing what is available from my 220 pro with upgrade and current software. A friend of mine has B&W 805D with a Naim system and sound lovely in the treble, airy and detailed.

Thanks
The general narrative from Devialet - as far as I understand it - is that they measure and calculate a lot and listen very little. Listening is unpredictable as a measure of quality.
Now I am sure they listen, so your question is a very good one. I'd love to see a list of loudspeakers Devialet uses to check their amps. Does anyone know?
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(15-Oct-2018, 14:18)ogs Wrote: The general narrative from Devialet - as far as I understand it - is that they measure and calculate a lot and listen very little. Listening is unpredictable as a measure of quality.
Now I am sure they listen, so your question is a very good one. I'd love to see a list of loudspeakers Devialet uses to check their amps. Does anyone know?

That reminds of Japanese amps in the 70’s and 80’s where measurements were more relied on than listening when the brits thought listening was a more reliable mark of how a system sounded. While measurement is important i think they should go hand in hand. Devialet must have used a speaker at some point and listened and would be good to know what their reference was. I prefer listening to my 220 with Sam off for the most part, music i play determines if sam is on or off.
(15-Oct-2018, 20:38)kompressor Wrote:
(15-Oct-2018, 14:18)ogs Wrote: The general narrative from Devialet - as far as I understand it - is that they measure and calculate a lot and listen very little. Listening is unpredictable as a measure of quality.

That reminds of Japanese amps in the 70’s and 80’s where measurements were more relied on than listening when the brits thought listening was a more reliable mark of how a system sounded. While measurement is important i think they should go hand in hand. Devialet must have used a speaker at some point and listened and would be good to know what their reference was. I prefer listening to my 220 with Sam off for the most part, music i play determines if sam is on or off.

To add i do like how my 220 sounds for the most part and want a speaker that can exploit it to its fullest within my budget.
kompressor
(15-Oct-2018, 20:38)kompressor Wrote:

To add i do like how my 220 sounds for the most part and want a speaker that can exploit it to its fullest within my budget.

The late Julian Hirsch of Stereo Review used to be the laughing stock of "subjective" press the like of TAS and Stereophile for only reviewing measurements primarily.  However, I was quite shocked to hear from Daniel Weiss whom I owned a few of his products that he  designs his products through measurement only, 

I am still not entirely sure which is the right approach
Kondo Overture PM-2i, Weiss DAC502, LP12 Haben, Aro, Keel, Radikal, Urika, EMT JSD6, Phasemation PP-300/T-300, Linn Krystal, Penaudio Serenade Signature

Kondo Operia SPs 2.7, KSL-VzII, Acz-Avocado, etc.

I guess it’s really down to the key individuals and their expertise and also the technology available at the time. Seems kit like the audio precision is commonplace and I’m sure some companies have custom kit doing similar or better. I don’t think whether we can measure more accurately than we can hear us in question, but that doesn’t mean everyone could just get an AP and design the best kit known to man - you still have to know what to measure and what things make a difference.

I guess many designers are from an earlier era.

But we wouldn’t have walked on the moon by trial and error alone.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

First time I heard Devialet Expert line was in their Paris store. They had it set up with Vivid Audio Giya G3 speakers. I've heard them with Vivid Audio speakers several times in various audio shows as well. It is a really nice combination that I chose to replicate.
Devialet 1000s, Belcanto 600Ms, Vivid Audio Giya G3, C1, V1w and sub, Trinnov AL16, QNAP TVS-471 NAS, Oppo 203, Siltech, Crystal Cable, Synergistic Research
(19-Oct-2018, 23:28)rafal123 Wrote: First time I heard Devialet Expert line was in their Paris store. They had it set up with Vivid Audio Giya G3 speakers. I've heard them with Vivid Audio speakers several times in various audio shows as well. It is a really nice combination that I chose to replicate.

You do see many Devialet dealers that also stock vivid.