Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
dCS Network Bridge
My understanding is that the dCS bridge is Roon ready so ethernet conneted to the same LAN as Roon Core will show the dCS bridge in Roon. I wonder how good the wifi receiver in the bridge is...
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(12-Jun-2017, 11:55)ogs Wrote: My understanding is that the dCS bridge is Roon ready so ethernet  conneted to the same LAN as Roon Core will show the dCS bridge in Roon. I wonder how good the wifi receiver in the bridge is...

Exactly. No AIR involved.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Yes it is Roon Ready so it has nothing to do with AIR and if you run Roon ROCK it will be an endpoint to Roon and output AES to the Devialet. I was just surprised that he thought AIR needed to be involved to run the Network bridge.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(12-Jun-2017, 06:26)Wdw Wrote: Surprised that AIR is not required..the dCS bridge shows as a source without AIR...l. So ROON ROCK would work without any concerns about ROON compatability with AIR....

I still dont get the last thing about Roon ROCK and the concerns about compability with AIR. If you run the dCS bridge you run that as a Roon endpoint and AES to the Devialet or whatever DAC you have that is one thing. If you want to run ROCK directly to a Devialet Roon must implement the AIR protocol so that can run on their ROCK OS.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system

Direct Roon support for Devialet Expert amps should happen some time this summer according to the leaks we've seen. If that will give sound quality on level with dCS bridge remains to be heard. The only indication we have is the SQ of Devialet's virtual AIR card on Mac/Windows. I would guess that Roon's implementation is at least as good as Devialet's
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(12-Jun-2017, 11:29)octaviars Wrote:
(12-Jun-2017, 06:26)Wdw Wrote: Surprised that AIR is not required..the dCS bridge shows as a source without AIR...l. So ROON ROCK would work without any concerns about ROON compatability with AIR....

Where does the bridge show up? Do you mean in Roon or are I missing something?

Do you run AES to your Devialet?

The bridge shows up immediately as an output within ROON...ethernet to the bridge and AES to the D.
My confusion as to the need for AIR only exposes my limited understanding of networking and ROON endpoints as I had assumed AIR was required in either case.
(12-Jun-2017, 13:45)Wdw Wrote:
(12-Jun-2017, 11:29)octaviars Wrote:

Where does the bridge show up? Do you mean in Roon or are I missing something?

The bridge shows up immediately as an output within ROON...ethernet to the bridge and AES to the D.
My confusion as to the need for AIR only exposes my limited understanding of networking and ROON endpoints as I had assumed AIR was required in either case.

Ok I see not easy to understand all this networked stuff  Smile
What have you compared the Bridge to only AIR? I am also looking at the dCS bridge so I am looking forward to your impressions.

Second system

(12-Jun-2017, 14:02)The octaviars Wrote:
(12-Jun-2017, 13:45)Wdw Wrote:
(12-Jun-2017, 11:29)octaviars Wrote: Where does the bridge show up? Do you mean in Roon or are I missing something?

Ok I see not easy to understand all this networked stuff  Smile
What have you compared the Bridge to only AIR? I am also looking at the dCS bridge so I am looking forward to your impressions.

For comparisons the journey went from 
MacMini/Audirvana/Berkeley Alpha USB into Berkeley DAC
Auralic Aries into Berkeley Dac
Aries to Devialet
Air to Devialet
ROON 
ROON to Bridge to Devialet
Unit is brand new, just out of the box but the refinement, extension and pure detail was immediately noticable.  Speakers seem to go deeper with more apparent bass output and articulation.  Listening to massed orchestra one can see further into the complexities and interplay between sections of the orchestra.  
We often use the Overture to Figaro as a comparison track as it is so gleeful and exciting and in listening through the bridge many new nuances were easily heard.  
I have read that there are some software upgrades planned with MQA being one of them.  Not sure hw this will be realized...would ROON do the first unfold (when updated to MQA compatability)  and the bridge the second?   Or?  
Now if Devialet would get a move on....!  What a totally unsufferable company!  No news, nothing!
I think regarding MQA you will get the first unfold in the Network bridge just like Roon perhaps will be able to do the first unfold. Second unfold will at this point always happen in the DAC but it can be done in software also but that is not something that MQA have aloud yet and perhaps never will.

"These software updates will include performance enhancements including an MQA update which will natively perform the 1st MQA unfold to 24.96 and the USB port, which is currently for USB storage, will become USB DAC enabled so you can output your data via USB to your USB DAC"

https://www.audiostream.com/content/dcs-network-bridge

Second system

Hi,
i ve just red the dcs network bridge review in the latest hifi + review,and it looks like the best digital network player out there!
I m really looking further to know how doest it compare to roon/air wich is stunning in my set up!