Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
differences between experts
Dear all

I am considering the purchase of a devialet expert. Because prices are a bit stiff for my budget, I am looking into the second hand market, and here things get complicated. it seems that we have, from the oldest to the newest, the following versions: (a) not pro & not CI, example D220, (b) pro but not CI, example D120 pro, and © pro and CI, example D130 pro CI. Did I get this right?

Assuming, this is correct - correct me if not - I 'd like to understand what are the differences, in particular for my application. I have essentially two sources, (1) a TV connected via optical toslink, and (2) Tidal. I am sure all expert version have an optical toslink input to connect my TV, and a USB input to connect my laptop running the tidal app, which can make the expert act as a sound card. 

I get confused as to which version of the expert can act as a tidal streamer, if any? Can all version be used with devialet AIR?

Thanks for your help
Nicolas
Hi Nicolas,

Did you get this right? No, not quite.... I think the history is something like this:

Devialet D-Premier - The original, very similar to the Expert 250 but lacks the Expert's high powered "Evo" engine, which allows features like SAM etc.

The original Expert range: (From 2013)

D120 (first released as D110, then became D120 after a firmware update)
D200, which can be D400 dual mono (First released as the D170, then became D200 after a firmware update)
D250, which can be D800 dual mono (first released as the D240 / D500, then became D250 / D800 after a firmware update)

The new Pro range: (From 2016, improved sound quality, more power & CI Board)

130 Pro (now upgraded to 140Pro via firmware update, can now be D210 dual mono)
220 Pro, which can be 440 Pro dual mono
250 Pro, which can be 1000 Pro dual mono

The Pro range was released in 2016. The CI Board was not available until the Autumn of 2017. A brand new Pro now comes with the CI Board installed. Earlier Pros were sold with the promise of a free CI Board upgrade. So all Pro's are either CI equipped or entitled to a free CI upgrade, so to keep it simple the Pro and a CI equipped Expert are essentially the same thing.

All versions of the Expert will run AIR. All versions have Toslink inputs.

Good luck with your Devialet hunting!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Following @Confused's nice summary of the history, let me try to answer some of your other questions.

As you said, the USB input would allow you to use a Devialet as an output device (sound card) on your PC.  Devialet's AIR software does something similar but using wired Ethernet or Wi-Fi in place of USB.  AIR can work very nicely or not so nicely, and it's not at all clear what are the important factors in making it work well, so if that is critical to your plans I'd suggest asking for a demonstration in your home environment first.  With that set up (either AIR or USB) you could play Tidal using their desktop app running on a PC.  Or Roon, for that matter, if you prefer.

I don't think any Devialet is yet capable of directly streaming Tidal at the moment without using another computer.  However the Core Infinity board fitted to the Pro models could in principle support this, and it wouldn't surprise me if Devialet make this possible at some point in future.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
I think another factor that is important in buying a used Expert is to realize that if you buy one that is not a Pro (and therefore without the CI update), it is unlikely that you will see any significant firmware updates going forward. But the good news is that Devialet will soon be reopening the opportunity to have the older Experts upgraded to Pro (and I presume also fitted with the CI update). The cost for the Pro upgrade is not cheap but the CI update is free. With the Pro and CI upgrade, there is additional functionality and there will most likely be further firmware updates going forward.

Of course, an important factor is sound quality and I think most agree that the Pro upgrade offered a nice improvement/refinement in sound quality.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
Thank you all for this information - it's not very easy to understand what's what.
I will hunt for a 130 pro.
DIY Leach amp (running for 20 years), JBL 4412A
Still on my hunt... Do the non-pro expert have the uPNP capability?
I am afraid not... but just to confirm.
DIY Leach amp (running for 20 years), JBL 4412A
(06-Aug-2018, 20:40)dishio Wrote: Still on my hunt... Do the non-pro expert have the uPNP capability?
I am afraid not... but just to confirm.

You need a pro with CI for uPNP. 

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France