Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
roon basic setup
Hi ,
Wanted to know what is the "best" configuration to start with roon.
My roon runs on mini pc.
Goes to raspberry pie with volumio and digi optical hat to phantoms.
2* golds

Open to suggestions.

Please advise.
(05-Jan-2021, 19:34)eladeb Wrote: Hi ,
My roon runs on mini pc.
2* golds

Open to suggestions.

Please advise.

Sounds like you have a great setup for Roon. I use Ropieee instead of Volumio, and Roon ROCK on an Intel NUC, otherwise the setups are identical. I'm really satisfied.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(05-Jan-2021, 19:34)eladeb Wrote: Hi ,
My roon runs on mini pc.
2* golds

Open to suggestions.

Please advise.

Does Volumio provide Roonbridge? This is new to me and great! Else you could directly install Roonbridge on the RPi to make it RAAT.
@streamy
Volumio support roon bridge.

Regards config...
Im referring to inner changes in the app like are you using DSP?
Or any other changes that suits phantom.
And if phantom will be certified in the next updates.how sould it fits my setup ?
Yes, I use HAF filters in Roon. Once the Phantoms will be RAAT and work reliably I will remove my RPi’s and move from DOS1 to DOS2.
By using HFA you required to create a room correction file after calibrating the room.correct?
You'll soon have Roon Ready (RAAT - Roon Advanced Audio Transport) — that'd be the best way to run it I suppose. I plan to do exactly that myself.
Devialet Phantom Gold Duo | Devialet Phantom Reactor 600 Duo | 2x New Devialet Remote | 4x HiFiBerry RAAT endpoints & low-cost passive speakers — Roon Lifetime
I‘m running Roon on my Mac Mini 2018, combined with HQPlayer running on the same Mac Mini. This goes Ethernet wired to a Raspberry Pi 4 that has RopieeeXL installed, and then USB to my Expert 120. Sounds really good, though I need to get more experienced with HQPlayer. The Raspberry Pi 4 is fed with a linear power supply from Small Green Computer.
SonicTransporter i5 - AirPort Extreme - Devialet Expert 120 - ATC SCM 19 v1
I recommend to run your Phantoms in Direct Optical mode.

I found this to be the best solution for me. Using a Raspberry Pi (I run Hifiberry OS) and Roon enabled on it, with optical output (Digi+ Pro) I get stable playback, great sound, and also perfect sync with all my other devices.

I don't know how it is in Dos1, but in Dos2, enabling Direct Optical is easy, by just accessing the Phantom (connected with ethernet) using your web browser after a full reset.
(06-Jan-2021, 00:16)eladeb Wrote: By using HFA you required to create a room correction file after calibrating the room.correct?

With HAF I refer to Home Audio Fidelity, a service that creates the necessary FIR filters from room sweeps you record with a calibration microphone. Here is the website: https://www.homeaudiofidelity.com/
I have used that service once and have no relation with Thierry that runs the service. I’m still extremely happy with the filters he created. They completely preserve the sound signature of my Phantoms but remove the room resonances what I was not able to achieve playing around with room correction software. Be aware that you might have to lower the overall gain to give some additional headroom. But the Phantoms can handle that well as they play at their max with 70% volume (0dB) of full range and with higher volume start to lower the bass in order to keep the driver excursions within its range.