Devialet Chat
New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet News (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-News)
+--- Thread: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released (/Thread-New-beta-firmware-7-1-3-released)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

RE: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - hk6230 - 08-May-2015

A new discovery! Just played a 24/192 music via toslink to optical input, and Devialet works. No longer needs an adapter to convert optical to coax. Yippee!

UPDATE: Strange encounters. I was using a cheap toslink cable when successfully playing 24/192 music to optical input. When I changed to a better cable, Audioquest Forest, the display was RED and no sound. Switch back to to normal toslink cable, music flows again. This, I couldn't understand why. [scratching head]

RE: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - ozthepoz - 08-May-2015

(07-May-2015, 11:05)runlonger Wrote: Hehe, I can't resist to give my comments on the new firmware as well.

I did extensive listening with 7.1.1 right before the upgrade and right after. Then I thought it is clearly identical, maybe just adding some beta-functionality to be controlled by dialog. Now, after a week, I also tend to believe that the sound has gotten better. For example clearer sound while listening with high volume. I can confirm the temperature drop of about 4° while seeing the status with tone controls. However, if I touch it by hand, I do not notice any difference.

Concerning sound quality, I am fully aware, that it is probably just our minds playing tricks on us. Like the expectation bias or the group bias etc... 

The 12 cognitive biases that prevent you from being rational:
http://io9.com/5974468/the-most-common-cognitive-biases-that-prevent-you-from-being-rational

Lets face it, we are always on the look for something we can improve, otherwise we wouldn't be in this forum, and therefore we are somewhat biased. Even tough I only listen to FLAC, it was an eye-opener for me doing a real double-blind ABX- MP3 vs FLAC-comparison with Foobar (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt7GyFW4hOI) (http://www.mpex.net/info/abx.html). I was convinced before that FLAC was clearly better than Mp3, but I failed the test even with 160kb Mp3's converted for the first time.

Maybe someone with two Devialets would be able to do a double-blind test, with fast switching between the two units. That would give a clearer picture.
But lets have some fun tuning our equipment none the less...  Big Grin

The way round this is to ask the wife; mine is pretty much immune to all of this stuff and is able to just describe what she hears. 

Her view is that the latest version of firmware is significantly "better". She's not able to articulate "better", but she is very clear that it just is. That's good enough for me.

New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - amabrok - 08-May-2015

(08-May-2015, 13:41)hk6230 Wrote: A new discovery! Just played a 24/192 music via toslink to optical input, and Devialet works. No longer needs an adapter to convert optical to coax. Yippee!

UPDATE: Strange encounters. I was using a cheap toslink cable when successfully playing 24/192 music to optical input. When I changed to a better cable, Audioquest Forest, the display was RED and no sound. Switch back to to normal toslink cable, music flows again. This, I couldn't understand why. [scratching head]

Very strange hk6230!

It is as if the stock optical cable is able to trick Devialet in seeing the sample rate as 96 instead of 192!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - BjornWiman - 08-May-2015

(08-May-2015, 15:47)amabrok Wrote:
(08-May-2015, 13:41)hk6230 Wrote: A new discovery! Just played a 24/192 music via toslink to optical input, and Devialet works. No longer needs an adapter to convert optical to coax. Yippee!

Very strange hk6230!

It is as if the stock optical cable is able to trick Devialet in seeing the sample rate as 96 instead of 192!

Hello,

from what I understand, the TOSLINK protocol doesn't support 24/192 at all, only 24/96...?!?

The Audioquest cable is probably damaged since the amplifier can not sync.

BR Björn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - Eddye - 08-May-2015

Could be your AQ forest cable is broken or one of the tips is filthy and doesn't let enough light through. Do you have a third cable to test?

RE: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - windler - 08-May-2015

At first I felt improvement in low frequency and high.
I listened for a week and satisfaction declines as the hours passed.
Indeed, judging from the level of specificity exists frequency range improvement from the previous version, yet
All musical disappeared.
Today I went back to the previous version and all the magic returned.
Something tonality mainly in the mid does not work Version 7.1.3.
Together with friends I hope that a formal version will comprehensively improving balance.

RE: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - hk6230 - 09-May-2015

(08-May-2015, 16:34)Eddye Wrote:

Could be your AQ forest cable is broken or one of the tips is filthy and doesn't let enough light through. Do you have a third cable to test?

Just confirmed with another 'better' quality optical cable, same as AQ, no sound. And, I have checked the AQ cable for any damage or dust. It's clean and in good condition. Playing 16/44.1 and 24/96 music files, no issue at all. So, cable is in working condition.

RE: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - Music or sound - 09-May-2015

(09-May-2015, 03:40)hk6230 Wrote:
(08-May-2015, 16:34)Eddye Wrote:

Just confirmed with another 'better' quality optical cable, same as AQ, no sound. And, I have checked the AQ cable for any damage or dust. It's clean and in good condition. Playing 16/44.1 and 24/96 music files, no issue at all. So, cable is i working condition.

I am amazed that you could play 24/192 with toslink at all. The D-Premier was 24/192 on all inputs but the present line does not have that toslink input receiver (discontinued) and according to Devialet the present line is only 24/96. When I upgraded my D-Premier I requested that 24/192 works optically but when I got it back as a D250 it was restricted to 24/96. After many emails Devialet agreed to rectify that by installing an old input receiver and after 4 weeks with out my music I just got my D250 back and it works now also at  24/192 with toslink (and optical sounds better at any sampling rate). Does your cheap toslink sound worse at lower rate than the "fancy" ones?

RE: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - hk6230 - 09-May-2015

OK. I'm really not sure if it was the new firmware that enabling 24/192 playback on optical anymore. I have switched a few toslink cables and only one works. And I have confirmed signal in is 192kHz by pressing & holding the source button on the remote to show the input signal. Really puzzling but I'm not complaining. Now I can listen to 24/192 on my optical input with Bluesound Node. [/Grin]

RE: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - Jnan_devi - 09-May-2015

wanted to check with you folks on this one? : I inserted the SD card with 7.1.3 firmware with 17 files in it. Once the system fully upgraded, I removed the SD card to remove all the files to copy the Configuration file. I could see only 15 files in the SD. does this mean couple of them got copied into Devialet?

Is this common