Devialet Chat
Firmware 8.0 - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet News (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-News)
+--- Thread: Firmware 8.0 (/Thread-Firmware-8-0)

RE: Firmware 8.0 - bernardl - 25-May-2015

In my mind, a lower temp is expected to mean a lower power draw - both better for the environment and for our wallet - and also should be better for the long term health of the electronic components in the system.

I don't believe there is a direct/obvious relationship between working temperature and sound quality.

Cheers,
Bernard

RE: Firmware 8.0 - hk6230 - 25-May-2015

(25-May-2015, 06:08)bernardl Wrote: In my mind, a lower temp is expected to mean a lower power draw - both better for the environment and for our wallet - and also should be better for the long term health of the electronic components in the system.

I don't believe there is a direct/obvious relationship between working temperature and sound quality.

Cheers,
Bernard

Well, equipment's temperature is crucial for sound quality. That's why some of us in this forum keeps their system on all the time. In fact, when I bought my D200, the dealer told me that it will sound better after about 20-30 min of warming up. But, of course, Devialet has "tried" to make their amp to sound good as evenly as possible with their unique power supply management system.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Mikeeo - 25-May-2015

(25-May-2015, 06:08)bernardl Wrote: " - both better for the environment and for our wallet - "

The change in power draw from this and previous changes is marginal with Dev units so if Dev think these changes would have any impact it is just a marketing trick though I hope it will not compromise SQ.
Before going with the Devialet I had tube pre amp and class A power amp which after replacement resulted in a 1/3 lower power bill. That is what I call a difference and a wallet/environmental saver!

Best/Mike

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Vivialet - 25-May-2015

the temperature and power consumption seem to be directly related to the volume setting, and I mean not the volume that you hear. I have used the jRiver EQ for some room correction where I have also corrected a sink with a +6db filter. As a result I had to reduce the digital volume by these 6db to avoid clipping.
For getting the same volume as before I had to turn up the amp volume by these 6db. This resulted in a much higer temperature, around 50° with DPM off.
I have now filled that room sink in a different way so I don't need to reduce the digital volume anymore and this results in temperatures of only 40° as I now listen with amp volumes of about -25. Before it was between -18 and -20.
With both configurations the speaker's power requirements is about the same. This means that for speakers with a low sensitivity where you have to turn up the volume to levels above -20 you will get high amp temperatures, even if the amp delivers only a few watt. Not sure if Devialet could solve this differently...
Has already someone tried to use the relative level setting in the speaker configuration ? This shoulld be a level increase that happens in the DSP. Maybe if you increase the level here you don't need to turn up the amp main level that much which could result in lower temps.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Rodney Gold - 25-May-2015

What is the issue with higher temps... I listen at +5 to 10 db (my room correction Dirac has an 8db drop so that it does not digitally clip) and my amp gets hot , but still touchable..

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Rufus McDufus - 25-May-2015

I've found for ages that there seems to be a maximum temp with my D200 above which it appears to deteriorate in sound quality. This seems to be around 45C. With the weather here in London getting a tiny bit warmer my Devialet seems to get to a threshold whereby temperature seems to jump from a stable point around 40-42C to a new point around 46-48C. As the weather gets warmer the 'stable' point gets hotter again. Firmware 7.1.1 seemed to have some temperature stability fixes but that was released in Autumn so some could be the cooler weather. The seasonal temperature changes may just be my imagination but temperature is becoming a bit of an issue again. I can hear it every time. The sound becomes duller as it gets hotter over around 45C. I have some heatsinks and might put them back in the Devialet!

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Rufus McDufus - 25-May-2015

I've done a bit of testing with ICM. Firstly it seems to boost quiet passages of music. Secondly it's not so noticeable on louder music. So is it compressing as well as boosting higher frequencies? It's one of those things that immediately sounds 'better' but then you realise it isn't. Like a loudness button.

Compared 7.1.3 again with 8.0. 100% SAM with my speakers is a little crude with 7.1.3 still - a bit bass heavy and not so coherent. The resolution and depth seems a lot better with 8.0. This is with DPM and subsonic filter off. I thought perhaps ICM was compensating by boosting higher frequencies but even with ICM off the bass clarity and depth still seems more 'right'. I can't think why that would be because SAM changes between 7.1.3 to 8.0 would make no difference for my spoeakers would they? Without knowing exactly what they've changed I guess that can't be answered.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Antoine - 25-May-2015

(24-May-2015, 16:30)philoouu Wrote:
(24-May-2015, 15:26)Antoine Wrote: Earlier today I've tried to reproduce Triggrhappy01's findings regarding ICM but I couldn't reproduce it. HOWEVER, my REW measuring setup is using an external USB sound card connected to a set of analog inputs of the Devialet that are in 'bypass' mode (0 dB) so it could as well be that ICM is not working for inputs in bypass mode as I also could not measure a difference with ICM on vs. off using the remote. I've used earlier configs created from scratch for 8.0 but did configure DPM to be off.

I didn't put a lot of time into it as it's such nice weather here that I wanted to enjoy. Perhaps I'll repeat the REW measurements later using a different configuration, ie. connect the M-Audio Fast Track USB MKII soundcard to the same analog inputs but then configured NOT to be in bypass mode.

Also I didn't get to measuring power usage. To be continued! Smile

PS: just started listening to some music (USB input like usual) and with the Devialet remote still configured to enable/disable ICM the difference is very, VERY clear with ICM on vs. off. ICM on dulls the music, removes life and air/ambiance An attenuation of frequencies >1kHz like triggrhappys measurements show could easily be/probably is the explanation of this phenomenon.

Antoine
Once you remove the ICM on/off from the remote, is the ICM on, off or does it keep the last setting you had when you could access to ICM with the remote ?
Thanks
Philoouu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Philoouu,

I didn't check this since I wasn't able to reproduce this in my measurements, because of my REW measure setup.

To be honest I'm a bit done testing and troubleshooting, i.e. doing Devialet's work so I've decided to report the issue to them (just filed it) and let them do the troubleshooting/verification and hopefully the fixing as well. Until they report back a fix/workaround I'll keep the ICM button on my remote, I didn't really need the button for anything else anyway. Smile

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Antoine - 25-May-2015

(17-May-2015, 12:53)beerman Wrote:
(17-May-2015, 12:28)Antoine Wrote:   
(16-May-2015, 21:17)beerman Wrote:
(16-May-2015, 16:47)Antoine Wrote:
(15-May-2015, 11:47)Antoine Wrote: I've also done the upgrade, all went well except for one very particular bug. When I start music playback through USB (default input) right after power on it seems like the volume of the pre-outs (used for my sub) are at 100%, this is immediately corrected as soon as I touch the volume dial. It however can cause quite a scare depending on the music played, bass heavy music causes a little earth quake! Wink

Has anyone else noticed similar behaviour? I will report it to Devialet later as well, I am thinking about recreating my config from scratch. So far, for 8.0 I have only edited it to update it.

OK, made the config from scratch but compared the files using diffchecker.com and they are identical. So I will report the issue to Devialet. Strange that no other users, using sub through pre-out, have noticed this issue or perhaps they just haven't mentioned it here.

I do have the same issue (starting with ethernet input). Changing inputs or dialing the volume knob corrects the issue immediately also. I will try to delete my configurations and start with a new one.

(16-May-2015, 22:40)beerman Wrote: Starting with a new configuration does not solve the problem. As a workaround I configured a startup input source I normaly don't use (optical input). When I change to ethernet or line input, it works normal. Hope this problem gets solved.

Hi Beerman, thank you for confirming this issue! I'll make note of it with Devialet when I report the issue with them coming week. I also tried a new config from scratch to no avail.

Thank You! please keep us informed!

Update: they asked me for my config file which I emailed back but I just saw they closed the case so that reply back with my config files probably never reached it's destination. ("This request has been deemed solved May 20").

I've created a follow-up...hope they don't close it prematurely again. I'm wondering if those support guys realize we're not discussing hamburgers but 13k euro devices...

RE: Firmware 8.0 - beerman - 25-May-2015

(25-May-2015, 13:27)Antoine Wrote:
(17-May-2015, 12:53)beerman Wrote:
(17-May-2015, 12:28)Antoine Wrote:   

(16-May-2015, 21:17)beerman Wrote:
(16-May-2015, 16:47)Antoine Wrote: OK, made the config from scratch but compared the files using diffchecker.com and they are identical. So I will report the issue to Devialet. Strange that no other users, using sub through pre-out, have noticed this issue or perhaps they just haven't mentioned it here.

I do have the same issue (starting with ethernet input). Changing inputs or dialing the volume knob corrects the issue immediately also. I will try to delete my configurations and start with a new one.

(16-May-2015, 22:40)beerman Wrote: Starting with a new configuration does not solve the problem. As a workaround I configured a startup input source I normaly don't use (optical input). When I change to ethernet or line input, it works normal. Hope this problem gets solved.

Hi Beerman, thank you for confirming this issue! I'll make note of it with Devialet when I report the issue with them coming week. I also tried a new config from scratch to no avail.

Thank You! please keep us informed!

Update: they asked me for my config file which I emailed back but I just saw they closed the case so that reply back with my config files probably never reached it's destination. ("This request has been deemed solved May 20").

I've created a follow-up...hope they don't close it prematurely again. I'm wondering if those support guys realize we're not discussing hamburgers but 13k euro devices...

I reported this issue also and got answer from Devialet today:

"Thank you for your message;
our engineers are aware of this issue and now trying to find a solution. To help them, can you please send us your configuration file compressed ?
Best regards,
Customer Care"

i sent back my compressed configuration file as they asked me, although I have included my configuration file at my first email to Devialet.
Now wait and see.