Devialet Chat
SAM lab - Australian news for SAM lab.. read if you want your speakers samed. - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet News (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-News)
+--- Thread: SAM lab - Australian news for SAM lab.. read if you want your speakers samed. (/Thread-SAM-lab-Australian-news-for-SAM-lab-read-if-you-want-your-speakers-samed)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: SAM lab - Australian news for SAM lab.. read if you want your speakers samed. - simon - 10-Jun-2015

Really interesting. Thanks for posting that hkychan.

RE: SAM lab - Australian news for SAM lab.. read if you want your speakers samed. - hk6230 - 10-Jun-2015

Thanks hkychan for sharing.

RE: SAM lab - Australian news for SAM lab.. read if you want your speakers samed. - GuillaumeB - 10-Jun-2015

@hkychan fantastic write up, thanks for sharing!  Smile

Guillaume

RE: SAM lab - Australian news for SAM lab.. read if you want your speakers samed. - PhilP - 10-Jun-2015

Excellent posts hkychan! It gives hope to those of us who have speakers that haven't been SAMd yet.

Looking at the SAM traces on the Devialet web-site your speakers were already excellent before SAM so I guess they must be truly awesome now Smile

RE: SAM lab - Australian news for SAM lab.. read if you want your speakers samed. - warpeon - 10-Jun-2015

I just put myself on the Hong Kong list. They are doing an event on 22nd and SAM around town on 23rd and may be 24th.

RE: SAM lab - Australian news for SAM lab.. read if you want your speakers samed. - hkychan - 10-Jun-2015

(10-Jun-2015, 09:55)warpeon Wrote: I just put myself on the Hong Kong list. They are doing an event on 22nd and SAM around town on 23rd and may be 24th.

Thx all for the feedback. I seldom post in any forum but the effort of Devialet team really deserve me to spend sometime to share here of the great things they did.

Hi Warpeon, I have booked 24th June afternoon for two speakers model to be SAM in Hong Kong. Really looking forward to that. And I am sure you will be amazed by the change.

RE: SAM lab - Australian news for SAM lab.. read if you want your speakers samed. - Manoet - 10-Jun-2015

Given we now know SAM profiles are apparently based on measured driver linear excursion rather than any actual measured sound or dB readings I'm curious if applying a SAM profile from a similarly-sized and configured speaker might respond favorably when adapted to an unSAM'd speaker using the identical driver? Intuitively I would think as long as speaker internal volume is similar and reflex or sealed configurations are adhered to they 'should' be very close. This could make non-SAM'd two-way bookshelf speakers relatively easy to adapt to an existing SAM profile. Least now I'm not afraid to try it. But I'm gonna need a L-O-T more SD Cards!

RE: SAM lab - Australian news for SAM lab.. read if you want your speakers samed. - Antoine - 10-Jun-2015

@hkychan, thanks for sharing!

@Manoet, loudspeakers are also measured electronically for SAM not just the excursion of the drivers. The LS internal crossover filters will probably differ between types/brands of loudspeakers even when the same "identical" drivers are used. I put identical between quotes because subtle differences sometimes because of customizations can't also been seen from the outside. So no, I wouldn't do what you're planning...

RE: SAM lab - Australian news for SAM lab.. read if you want your speakers samed. - Manoet - 10-Jun-2015

Thanks Antoine! I thought about that after I posted but wondered even with the XO differences could low-volume auditioning really be destructive or harmful on very closely matched speakers? My setup is in the near field and my volume has yet to see higher than -28. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I would think I'd hear something REALLY destructive long before I approached a volume where physical damage could occur. I would think I'd be no worse off than a few SAM profiles people have tried at higher volumes with awful results. 'Course I could be wrong but wondering. What say thee?

*EDIT* I did just try more volume and got it down to -16 but I'm sure the neighbors could hear it and it was WAY too loud for anything resembling pleasure... but then so is -24 tho I might be able to tolerate -26 short term. Most days I'm at -30 to -32 for critical listening and -40 for background music. I can honestly say it'll never see -16 again while in my keep!

RE: SAM lab - Australian news for SAM lab.. read if you want your speakers samed. - Antoine - 10-Jun-2015

I don't think it's a matter of risk of creating damage but more if the SAM modifications to the output signal (which are tailored to a specific type of loudspeaker) are useful in helping performance (sound quality).

IMO applying a SAM modified signal to loudspeaker A while it was tailored to/for loudspeaker B is like hoping your car will run better running the engine management software for a different car. It's unpredictable and messy and not likely to produce better results. Again: IMO. Smile