Devialet Chat
Firmware 8.1 released! - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet News (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-News)
+--- Thread: Firmware 8.1 released! (/Thread-Firmware-8-1-released)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - Hifi_swlon - 13-Jun-2015

(12-Jun-2015, 20:48)GuillaumeB Wrote: "...Of course in the future, we hope to do the same with firmware 8."

Guillaume

Perhaps I'm on a bit of a Devialet downer this week, but I really find the way they work pretty slapdash. I would have thought that by the time they reached firmware v8, they'd be experienced enough and have an r&d pipeline robust enough to at least make each major new firmware at the same SQ level or better than the previous. It wouldn't be hard - just keep testing/tweaking/fixing until it sounds right.

They are obviously very clever and pioneering, but they just don't seem to have much of a clue in terms of in-house testing and QA. I picture a scene of chaos inside 'the lab'. Rush, rush, rush.

If my unit wasn't about to wing it's way back I'd probably try 8.1, but I'm not holding out much hope in any case. Hopefully we'll be on 8.1.1_new_postcafe_mod_tweak by the time it comes back.

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - Yippedidou - 13-Jun-2015

Downloaded 8.1.1. Very solid. Detailed. Bass has more details into it although still deep. But I'm now using SAM at 33% ( had SAM at 75% with 7.1.3 ). Tested with my usual test playlist especially voice to hear that grainy tone that others have reported. Didnt hear that or maybe my ears arent up to the challenge ( old ears used by 40 years of good music... ? ). I'm going to keep 8.1.1. The only thing i have activated is the USB output, the rest is at off including DPM, Ethernet, wifi, etc. Gorgeous. Frankly, I have to say... Congrats Devialet!

Now get AIR to work please....

PS... One thing I want to report... Before, I used 2 SD Cards, the Devialet one and a SD card I had (a 4 GB). I put the FW on the Devialet card and the config on the other card. Worked perfectly. To my surprise, this time, the config for 8.1.1 refused to download on the 4 GB card. Error all the time. I tried a couple things but never wanted to accept the download. Then I used the Devialet card and all was ok. Strange isnt it? But hey, I've seen muchos stranger things before....

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - Manoet - 13-Jun-2015

Its my favorite so far as well. Not by huge margins but enough to hold me till the promise of something better happens along. Honestly I could've tolerated 7.1.2 or 7.1.3 forever but prefer 8.1 by the smallest of margins. Tho I too found the need to back off my non-specific SAM profile a significant amount... from 92 to 44. For me, hands-down, best yet and I'll stay here awhile... least till over-familiarity or the itch for adventure creeps in.

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - ErikM - 13-Jun-2015

(13-Jun-2015, 00:12)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(12-Jun-2015, 20:48)GuillaumeB Wrote: "...Of course in the future, we hope to do the same with firmware 8."

Guillaume

Perhaps I'm on a bit of a Devialet downer this week, but I really find the way they work pretty slapdash. I would have thought that by the time they reached firmware v8, they'd be experienced enough and have an r&d pipeline robust enough to at least make each major new firmware at the same SQ level or better than the previous. It wouldn't be hard - just keep testing/tweaking/fixing until it sounds right.

They are obviously very clever and pioneering, but they just don't seem to have much of a clue in terms of in-house testing and QA. I picture a scene of chaos inside 'the lab'. Rush, rush, rush.

If my unit wasn't about to wing it's way back I'd probably try 8.1, but I'm not holding out much hope in any case. Hopefully we'll be on 8.1.1_new_postcafe_mod_tweak by the time it comes back.
HA!  You should have tried out a PS Audio Dac with their bridge.. Each version of firmware was different and each version of the Bridge Firmware was different.. Talk about frustration

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - philoouu - 13-Jun-2015

(12-Jun-2015, 05:54)philoouu Wrote: I have not installed yet the new firmware but it looks like a big improvement in term of user-friendliness. What I was wondering is about ICM. What if ICM is on (or off) through the remote and off (or on) in the configuration file ? I do not understand how the configuration file settings and the remote settings can work together for the same option with opposite settings ?

I have installed 8.1. Very nice, bass seem to be more defined versus 8.0 but this is just an impression.

Regarding my initial question, looks like the local parameters (the ones you can define with the remote and are in the config file too) are reset each time you change source. For example if you change ICM ON (where in the config file it is OFF ) it will be ON until you change sources. If you change sources and come back it will be on OFF as defined in the config file. For the parameters that are not in the config file anymore like DPM, SAM, PHASE.... and that are not source dependent, once you change the parameter it will stay like that until you change it back.

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - PhilP - 13-Jun-2015

(12-Jun-2015, 19:51)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(12-Jun-2015, 19:48)Floyd67 Wrote:
(12-Jun-2015, 19:21)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(12-Jun-2015, 18:36)PhilP Wrote:
(12-Jun-2015, 17:57)GuillaumeB Wrote: First impressions of 8.1 are positive. Not sure if it's quite as good as 7.1.3 but it's very close. And also I've got DPM on at the moment. Might try toggling that on and off.

Guillaume

Yes, its funny but I think maybe 7.1.3 is still a bit better - slightly less analytical.  The main problem I have with 8.1 is with some vocals which are a bit harsh/grainy.  I've always associated those type of defects with noise in the system (EMI/RFI/mains) but I'm not sure why 8.1 should be worse in this respect. Perhaps DPM is part of the cause - worth trying switching it off anyway.

True I'm finding female vocals aren't sounding quite as good (no harshness here but perhaps a little graininess, not sure) however after deactivating DPM it sounded better. Hardly day and night so quite tricky to call this one. I can definitely live with 8.1 but it isn't the wow! of 7.1.3

Guillaume

It felt as though I was listening to the music with 7.1.3 and Hi-Fi with 8.1

Yes 7.1.3 sounds more natural, more musical. Anyway I will live with 8.1 for a bit and see how I get on.

Guillaume

I had an enjoyable late listening session last night and the slight graininess/harshness that I had heard with 8.1 in the daytime had all but gone. I think it was probably due to mains pollution.  I think it's definitely worth persevering with 8.1 to see whether I grow to like the sound but like others I currently prefer 7.1.3 (AIR Wi-Fi and Coax)

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - agentsmith - 13-Jun-2015

Is there a difference between 8.0 and 8.1 if I just use standard functions and phono in with a D200?  Or is it mainly bug fixes for SAM and paired machines?

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - PhilP - 13-Jun-2015

(13-Jun-2015, 07:42)agentsmith Wrote: Is there a difference between 8.0 and 8.1 if I just use standard functions and phono in with a D200?  Or is it mainly bug fixes for SAM and paired machines?

I didn't like the sound of 8.0 in my system - there was something strange about it and I found it unpleasant to listen to - I quickly went back to 7.1.3.  In my system 8.1 is a big improvement over 8.0 SQ-wise (AIR Wi-Fi and coax).

On the other hand many have said that they like the sound of 8.0 in their systems Wink

Devialet are pushing people to move from 8.0 to 8.1 for a reason - they don't want to have to waste resources supporting a buggy version of the firmware.

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - hahe - 13-Jun-2015

in my chain (D200, B&W 800 Diamond, WIREWORLD Platinum Eclipse USB Cable, SAM at 50%) here is what I got so far from 8.1 / 7.1.3

Overall 8.1 seems to be an improvement over 8.0 and the harshness seems to have gone although on USB input only
(this input generally seems to have been much improved in 8.x SQ wise and not taking about addition of DSD feature)
Via AIR (only using Ethernet) mid´s and high´s still appear to be a bit overemphasized / analytical as compared to USB input as well as 7.1.3

Bass control seems to be better / more precise with 8.1 (same as in 8.0) compared to 7.1.3
Stage resolution via AIR seems to be slightly better than via USB and that is recurrent with 7.1.3 and 8.x

At this point in time and for my ears 8.1 via USB seems to sound pretty similar to 7.1.3 via AIR
(although with slightly less stage resolution and on the other hand more articulated bass and more capabilities functionality wise)

Will further continue to explore those two options and see where this brings me - current tendency is 8.1 via USB

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - jfp - 13-Jun-2015

I never tried the USB protocole. Only AIR. worth a try ?