Devialet Chat
Firmware 8.1 released! - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet News (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-News)
+--- Thread: Firmware 8.1 released! (/Thread-Firmware-8-1-released)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - petrik - 13-Jun-2015

(13-Jun-2015, 19:04)F.F.R Wrote: Updated to 8.1 yesterday. SQ great, as always, but after maybe 30 min of normal playing an ominous smell of burnt electronics spread through the room. I immediately shut down the amplifier and let it cool down. Wondering if it was overheating I turned it back on and checked the temperature, 41 degrees, not hot.

The smell seems to originate form the powersocket, so i suspect a possibly faulty PSU?

Funny thing is that the amp works fine. I reinstalled the software, turned it on and it plays great. After a while though a metallic odor fills the room.

Is this normal for a Devialet 200? It´s quite new and I know some amplifiers need to burn off some oils and such, but I never experienced something like this. (It has never smelled of anything these first few months.)

Not saying firmware 8.1 has anything to do with this, but if someone else has experienced anything similar it might be a problem.

It´s plugged directly into the wall.

I had the same problem with my D200 companion unit about couple weeks ago. I sent a message to Devialet support about this and they asked me to return my amplifier for service. I'm now waiting for getting my D200 companion back...

So, probably you should also contact Devialet support?

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - F.F.R - 13-Jun-2015

Doesn´t seem to be it. Tight fit and no arcing on the plug pins.

What amazes me though, is that it works exactly as before. It just smells like a broken computer/PSU. A metallic smell that´s immediately recognizeable.

I have no idea what to do. See what happens? Return and get a repair? Thing is that it may be a small problem now, but a huge problem later.

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - F.F.R - 13-Jun-2015

(13-Jun-2015, 20:39)petrik Wrote:
(13-Jun-2015, 19:04)F.F.R Wrote: Updated to 8.1 yesterday. SQ great, as always, but after maybe 30 min of normal playing an ominous smell of burnt electronics spread through the room. I immediately shut down the amplifier and let it cool down. Wondering if it was overheating I turned it back on and checked the temperature, 41 degrees, not hot.

The smell seems to originate form the powersocket, so i suspect a possibly faulty PSU?

Funny thing is that the amp works fine. I reinstalled the software, turned it on and it plays great. After a while though a metallic odor fills the room.

Is this normal for a Devialet 200? It´s quite new and I know some amplifiers need to burn off some oils and such, but I never experienced something like this. (It has never smelled of anything these first few months.)

Not saying firmware 8.1 has anything to do with this, but if someone else has experienced anything similar it might be a problem.

I had the same problem with my D200 companion unit about couple weeks ago. I sent a message to Devialet support about this and they asked me to return my amplifier for service. I'm now waiting for getting my D200 companion back...

So, probably you should also contact Devialet support?

I´ll probably have a talk with the service department then. That sucks :-)

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - Rufus McDufus - 13-Jun-2015

I've read a few reports of burning smells in recent months. My Devialet went back for what seemed like a separate issue (which may have not been the fault of the Devialet but possibly a problem with the source handshaking) and they did change the power input board (which has a Schurter filter on) for some reason. I've no idea if that was the problem it went in for but I got the impression they changed it as a matter of course. It made me slightly suspicious it's a part they're having problems with. I did actually smell a faint burning smell a few weeks prior to it going back to Devialet. This is complete speculation on my part.

Burning smells are no good and it's very wise to contact them.

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - Morten - 13-Jun-2015

Hallo

I had the same issue some months ago, my dealer gave me a new board I changed it my self a 5 minute job...

Kind regards
Morten

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - mauidan - 13-Jun-2015

Have you checked your AC line voltage?

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - Riddo - 14-Jun-2015

Long listening session last night from 8pm until 4am with four friends. I had listened to 8.1 for about two hours by myself and was ambivalent. It seemed to have better soundstage depth (cf. 7.3 and 8.0) but a slight thin and grainy quality in vocals particularly.
  When my friends arrived I told them we were going to try three different sound settings with music they chose as a playlist. I didn't mention what was going to change and I used pink noise and a SPL meter to ensure the volume level was the same. The order turned out to be 1) 8.1 DPM on, 2) 7.3 and 3) 8.1 DPM off.
   I didn't vote but I did agree on their opinions. Unanimously 7.3 was the clear winner, and they thought that 1) and 3) were the same.
 The differences were commented on as "night and day", 7.3 had "solidity" a "reality to voices" and "I could listen to that all night".
Which is what we did!
  Two of the people involved have a very much more revealing system consisting mainly of Burmester electronics/amplification and MBL 101E II speakers and they are normally polite about the sound of my set-up but not very enthusiastic. Last night/this morning I couldn't easily lever them out of their seats.

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - MusicFirst - 14-Jun-2015

(14-Jun-2015, 02:53)Riddo Wrote: Long listening session last night from 8pm until 4am with four friends. I had listened to 8.1 for about two hours by myself and was ambivalent. It seemed to have better soundstage depth (cf. 7.3 and 8.0) but a slight thin and grainy quality in vocals particularly.
  When my friends arrived I told them we were going to try three different sound settings with music they chose as a playlist. I didn't mention what was going to change and I used pink noise and a SPL meter to ensure the volume level was the same. The order turned out to be 1) 8.1 DPM on, 2) 7.3 and 3) 8.1 DPM off.
   I didn't vote but I did agree on their opinions. Unanimously 7.3 was the clear winner, and they thought that 1) and 3) were the same.
 The differences were commented on as "night and day", 7.3 had "solidity" a "reality to voices" and "I could listen to that all night".
Which is what we did!
  Two of the people involved have a very much more revealing system consisting mainly of Burmester electronics/amplification and MBL 101E II speakers and they are normally polite about the sound of my set-up but not very enthusiastic. Last night/this morning I couldn't easily lever them out of their seats.

Thanks for the good work Riddo!  I guess I will wait for 8.1.?.  Too bad the configurator appears to be non-compatible.

Kerry

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - hahe - 14-Jun-2015

Which Source did you use for the comparison - as mentioned in an earlier post 8.1 via USB sounds pretty similar to 7.3 via Ethernet whereas 8.1 via Ethernet is not as good as the other two options in my chain. Did anybody else have the same finding ?

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - Vivialet - 14-Jun-2015

I have switched from 7.1.3 AIR to 8.0 AIR and liked 7.1.3 more, then I have switched to 8.0/8.1 USB which is at least as good as 7.1.3 AIR. I have not tried 7.1.3 with USB, maybe the improvements for USB are already in there ?