Devialet Chat
Firmware 8.1 released! - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet News (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-News)
+--- Thread: Firmware 8.1 released! (/Thread-Firmware-8-1-released)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - salk61 - 15-Jun-2015

(15-Jun-2015, 08:41)Floyd67 Wrote: I think the word audiophile sums it up. For me Hi-Fi is a means to an end. I am only interested in the music and the way music is presented/reproduced that suits my own personal taste. The quality of the source file, being in my view, the most important piece in the entire chain. I have 24bit recordings that sound great and others that don't. I have 16bit CD rips that sound better than the CD version. I have vinyl that sounds better than 24bit and vice versa. I digress. While there is such a diverse range of production tools and technologies and no industry standard (which is unlikely) not to mention the multitude of other variables of home audio, there will always be variations in music replay. After all we're all unique human beings with different ears and tastes.
Absolutely right, couldn't agree with you more

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - claxan - 15-Jun-2015

(15-Jun-2015, 09:06)salk61 Wrote:
(15-Jun-2015, 08:41)Floyd67 Wrote: I think the word audiophile sums it up. For me Hi-Fi is a means to an end. I am only interested in the music and the way music is presented/reproduced that suits my own personal taste. The quality of the source file, being in my view, the most important piece in the entire chain. I have 24bit recordings that sound great and others that don't. I have 16bit CD rips that sound better than the CD version. I have vinyl that sounds better than 24bit and vice versa. I digress. While there is such a diverse range of production tools and technologies and no industry standard (which is unlikely) not to mention the multitude of other variables of home audio, there will always be variations in music replay. After all we're all unique human beings with different ears and tastes.
Absolutely right, couldn't agree with you more
I also agree with you.
The discussions about the Firmware releases are immense, can you, guys, imagine what the discussions will be if Devialet introduce in the future the room-correction possibility.
Just lay down and enjoy the music and do not listen the bugs that can probably be.
oups, I hope that I hadn't been to hard with you, dear firmware-checker.

Claxan

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - NickB - 15-Jun-2015

That's what I said -

I can listen to music on any system and enjoy it

I choose to use a very good system to enjoy it on

But the important thing is the music not the system.

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - salk61 - 15-Jun-2015

(15-Jun-2015, 10:10)NickB Wrote: That's what I said -

I can listen to music on any system and enjoy it

I choose to use a very good system to enjoy it on

But the important thing is the music not the system.

Now let me just speak for myself, in case I get another visceral outpouring of indignant responses. I was very happy with my Ayre KX-R preamp paired to a Krell 402E amp and the preamp was infinitely flexible in inputs and outputs. It was mated to Ayre QB9 DSD and C5XE along with Aurender X100S music server. My only gripe was that my CD player still sounded better than the music server which was playing hi-res files.
In comes the Devialet retailer with a set of D800 mono blocks to my house for a listening session.
Two things were immediately noticeable:-
1.) The amazing bass extension and control over the woofers it had compared to my then setup.
2.) The music server started sounding better than the CD player.
I traded in my system for the D800s two weeks later and was a very satisfied customer. I, in my opinion, had bought the new system based on its sonic signature or the lack of it. Most high brands, as I see it, are different sounding, not necessarily better. It's what a particular sonic signature you prefer that influences your buying decision.
With the new update, in my opinion, I lost the sound which I had bought it for. That's the reason I've decided to go back to 7.1.1

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - GuillaumeB - 15-Jun-2015

**MODERATOR NOTICE**

I'm detecting a little tension between forum members that wish to analyse and discuss in some detail the real or perceived changes in SQ between firmware versions and those that think such discussions are a distraction and largely superfluous.

Can I just remind everyone that the subject of this thread is Firmware 8.1 and if you are not interested in discussing this topic then you don't have to! There are just over a thousand threads on this forum and you are always more than welcome to start a new one. 

Devialet Chat is a broad church that welcomes the active participation of ALL Devialet owners, regardless of ideology or equipment preferences. More importantly I want it to remain a friendly environment where everyone can feel that they can contribute without fear of reprisals.

Guillaume

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - claxan - 15-Jun-2015

(15-Jun-2015, 11:30)GuillaumeB Wrote: **MODERATOR NOTICE**

I'm detecting a little tension between forum members that wish to analyse and discuss in some detail the real or perceived changes in SQ between firmware versions and those that think such discussions are a distraction and largely superfluous.

Can I just remind everyone that the subject of this thread is Firmware 8.1 and if you are not interested in discussing this topic then you don't have to! There are just over a thousand threads on this forum and you are always more than welcome to start a new one. 

Devialet Chat is a broad church that welcomes the active participation of ALL Devialet owners, regardless of ideology or equipment preferences. More importantly I want it to remain a friendly environment where everyone can feel that they can contribute without fear of reprisals.

Guillaume

Hi Guillaume

You have right.
I'm sorry, I did not want to be unkind

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - ogs - 15-Jun-2015

What Riddo describes in post 128 is what I hear from 7.1.3. This makes it a better musical experience for me. If one can not hear or appreciate this difference in ones own system it does not mean it doesn't exist. It is most likely system (and room) dependent. If one can not detect a difference, then 8.1 is the best and most feature rich firmware to date. Luckily Devialet makes it is easy to change firmware so we can stick to our preferences.

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - Bob Ryan - 15-Jun-2015

(15-Jun-2015, 10:10)NickB Wrote: the important thing is the music not the system

I've spent decades building my music library during which time audio equipment has come and gone repeatedly.
Everyone. Keep a backup of your music at a safe place off site from your residence.

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - Tony - 15-Jun-2015

+1 Guillaume

As a keen viewer and infrequent poster to the forum I am always amazed at how tension builds so easily... anyway to stick to the point...

Have just upgraded my simple setup from 7.1.1 to 8.1 and I would be lying if I said that after the 5 minutes or so it takes me to swap firmware versions I can tell a difference so as far as I am concerned 8.1.0 gets the thumbs up!

As an ex Software Development Manager I also appreciate the fact that at last Devialet have issued an up to date, concise manual that saves you having to gleam bits of information scattered across their web site / forums etc.

Only thing missing now as far as I am concerned is a published list of known errors in the software. It takes a confident and mature company to do this as the danger is that people will think the software is riddled with bugs but my experience is that the user base is happier since they are not constantly wandering if anybody else is experiencing the problem and it actually would save work for Devialet as they potentially wouldn't get the same bugs logged over and over again.

Regards

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - Mikeeo - 15-Jun-2015

(15-Jun-2015, 11:30)GuillaumeB Wrote: **MODERATOR NOTICE**

Guillaume
+1, I just had the feeling that this forum/thread was going disrespectful and there your post shows up, thanks G!

/Mike