Devialet Chat
Firmware 8.1 released! - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet News (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-News)
+--- Thread: Firmware 8.1 released! (/Thread-Firmware-8-1-released)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - AlexS - 15-Jun-2015

There are indeed two camps coexisting/fighting here. Let's call them the "Rational" camp (those who believe in science and rational thinking, and who will therefore refuse to hear differences in music, if there is no logical explanation for them). And then there is the "Artistic" camp (those highly sensitive and usually moody souls who believe that the world is too complex to fit the rational categories, and, therefore, every little change in the music chain - or elsewhere - can cause a big difference). (And then there are the "Psychological" camp, who tries to marry the two approaches, and the "Take it easy" camp, whose name says it all Wink
I won't mention what camp I belong to, as this is besides the point (although some of you can probably guess due to my trying to categorize Smile But I have a suggestion: next time there is a new version of FW, let's open two threads at once: one would focus on functional aspects (such as the installation issues or obvious sound problems), the other - on subtle SQ differences. I think what's going on here is that some representatives of the Rational camp try to learn about FW bugs/quirks (so they don't waste time installing a buggy version), but come across judgements that - understandably - get them excited beyond measure: they look for facts, but end up leafing through pages offering subjective opinions. Having separate threads can remedy this to an extent, although I foresee unavoidable cross-pollination.

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - Manoet - 15-Jun-2015

Correct me if I'm wrong and certainly no argument intended... but isn't that four camps!?! ;-)

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - Hifi_swlon - 15-Jun-2015

(15-Jun-2015, 16:00)Manoet Wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong and certainly no argument intended... but isn't that four camps!?! ;-)

Possibly five if AlexS doesn't belong to one of those camps….. ;-)

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - Confused - 15-Jun-2015

I for one am actually very grateful for the information provided on this forum, including the debate as to the sound quality influence of firmware updates, so many thanks to Guillaume for his polite moderator intervention. Furthermore, I see no conflict between being a music lover and the quest for the best sound quality. For sure, one has to be careful that the obsession with SQ does not get in the way of enjoying music, but to this end a forum like this can help. For example, I am happy to A / B test two firmware versions, but once I have decided which one I prefer, then that is the end of it, back to simply enjoying the music. Now I haven't even tried 8.1 yet (perhaps enjoying 7.1.3 too much), but reading this thread will assist in giving me a few pointers to look out for, so when I do try 8.1 and help minimise the time I need to make my mind up. Plus the 8.0 thread was useful, if only to highlight that I was not alone in the issues I was getting. As for those who think that all firmware updates sound the same, well Devialet themselves have advised that there are some SQ differences with 7.1.3, and also 8.1 gives SAM 2, which I understand may provide some SQ differences for even for those running original SAM profiles. But for those who think people that waste any time worrying about SQ differences in firmware are crazy, well I already know lots of people think I am crazy for how much I have spent on hifi, and frankly anyone who has purchased something as expensive as a Devialet amp is themselves in that category!

In summary, I think it is all about spending a little time every now and again making 100% sure that everything in your system is optimised as it should be. Then with your mind free of system niggles, enjoy the music!

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - ogs - 15-Jun-2015

OT warning..

So AlexS, you think the 'rationals' need to be protected from the 'others' by creating separate threads so they can browse without disturbance? Who would decide what is rational and what is not?

I support Guillaume's Moderator notice fully

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - Eddye - 15-Jun-2015

I've spend a fair amount of time on audio forums, and I've seen this on every forum. In short my observation, there are those who like music and love Hifi and then there are those that love music and like Hifi. As with so many things it's not a question of being right or wrong. In my opinion it's just a slightly different hobby (Football and Hand-egg Smile). One group is looking forward to hearing that new album they bought today, the other group evaluates different components in their set. Both groups derive satisfaction from their choice. Personally I think that a good nights sleep is much more noticeable than a different USB cable, but others might have a different and equally good opinion. I don't think there is a need to split threads like these, in fact, I like to read all opinions.

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - Mikeeo - 15-Jun-2015

It is all in our heads!

The amplifier, speaker, FW or cable etc does not know any of this SQ or Music.....

5 cents/M

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - ozthepoz - 15-Jun-2015

(15-Jun-2015, 19:36)Eddye Wrote: I've spend a fair amount of time on audio forums, and I've seen this on every forum. In short my observation, there are those who like music and love Hifi and then there are those that love music and like Hifi. As with so many things it's not a question of being right or wrong. In my opinion it's just a slightly different hobby (Football and Hand-egg Smile). One group is looking forward to hearing that new album they bought today, the other group evaluates different components in their set. Both groups derive satisfaction from their choice. Personally I think that a good nights sleep is much more noticeable than a different USB cable, but others might have a different and equally good opinion. I don't think there is a need to split threads like these, in fact, I like to read all opinions.

I agree. If you think about it, there are so many variables to consider;

- the whole hi-fi chain
-the music
=the format of the music
-differing rooms
-differences in local temperature, humidity, electrical supply
-our ears
-our history, expectation, preferences and biases
-mood
-tweaking and foo

It's fun discussing our devialets, but really, we shouldn't be getting too evangelical about this one (albeit important) component in what is, ultimately, the psychological process of enjoying music.

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - Nemal1 - 16-Jun-2015

I love music, the hi-fi is a means to enjoy that in the best way possible!

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - hk6230 - 16-Jun-2015

I do like 8.1FW, everything I throw to it and sounded great to my ears. Of course, your music source must be of high quality lossless music.