Devialet Chat
Firmware 8.1 released! - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet News (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-News)
+--- Thread: Firmware 8.1 released! (/Thread-Firmware-8-1-released)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - mobaer - 16-Jun-2015

(16-Jun-2015, 09:21)hk6230 Wrote: I do like 8.1FW, everything I throw to it and sounded great to my ears. Of course, your music source must be of high quality lossless music.

Same for me.
In my system the bass in 7.1.3 seemed less controlled, almost a bit fat, so I had to reduce SAM to 50%.
Now in 8.0 and 8.1 I could set SAM back to 100% and it's fine again.
However, I cannot tell if there is any a difference to 7.1.1. It has simply been too long ago, my acoustic memory is too short.

/Christian

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - Nemal1 - 16-Jun-2015

I've reduced the bass lift on my Montis (only by +1db and it is now flat) but I turned the subsonic filter off as well which would have contributed to the slightly excessive bass notes after the installation. I'm looking forward to getting my Sasha 2's which can have Sam on them!

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - GuillaumeB - 16-Jun-2015

(16-Jun-2015, 11:33)Nemal1 Wrote: I've reduced the bass lift on my Montis (only by +1db and it is now flat) but I turned the subsonic filter off as well which would have contributed to the slightly excessive bass notes after the installation. I'm looking forward to getting my Sasha 2's which can have Sam on them!

When do they arrive? What colour did you choose?

Guillaume

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - AlexS - 16-Jun-2015

(15-Jun-2015, 18:27)ogs Wrote: OT warning..

So AlexS, you think the 'rationals' need to be protected from the 'others' by creating separate threads so they can browse without disturbance? Who would decide what is rational and what is not?

I support Guillaume's Moderator notice fully

Not to belabor this topic (and, for that matter, my post was mostly intended to relax the atmosphere), I did not so much propose to protect the 'rationals' from the 'irrationals' (and vice versa), even less to define what constitues rational, but to create more focused threads, so that the easily irritable can more successfully stay away from what irritates them, so to speak Smile

@Manoet, math is definitely on your side: it's indeed 4 camps, according to my own reckoning.

@Hifi_swlon, yes, it's probably more than 4, but not because I don't belong to any of the aforementioned camps. In fact, the very opposite is true: I feel obligated to belong to the Scientific/Rational camp, but I don't understand the technical side of audio equipment well enough. I'm tempted, but afraid to belong to the "Artistic/Irrational" camp with their A/B comparisons, since that would land me personally in a madhouse (I once A/B compared SAM for my speakers, until I lost the ability to perceive music, without arriving at any meaningful conclusion, other than that I should stop comparing, and try to pretend SAM did not exist). I wish I could belong to the "Take it easy camp", cause they're right by definition, but I can't: taking things easy is not my fate. (Just to note, the latter camp is heavily under-represented on this site, since the more money one invests into one's audio equipment, the more one starts to care). That leaves me the "Psychological" camp. And I think it suites me very well:
Listening pleasure/displeasure is a function of:
quality of the recording +
one's equipment +
one's beliefs about one's equipment (as well as other convictions and beliefs pertaining to music, such as the 192/24 format Smile +
one's current mood and state of well-being + 
the limitations of one's ear +
one's beliefs about the limitations of one's ear.

Enough and sorry for the digression in this already busy thread.

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - PhilP - 16-Jun-2015

I've tried several changes in my system recently and was thinking about the relative magnitude of difference to the sound of the system that the changes have made.  I came up with the following ranking:

Biggest difference first, smallest last:

1. Naim NDX/AIR wi-fi to Aurender N100 (-£1,000/+£1,500 incl iMac)

2. FW 7.1.1 to 8.1 (free Smile)

3. Canon printer cable to Chord Sarum TA USB cable (+£750)

4. Devialet standard mains cable to Naim Powerline mains cable (+£515)

I found it difficult to decide the order of 2 and 3....

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - hahe - 17-Jun-2015

Have given 8.1 a try since it was released and definitely did enjoy the sound and functionality
(I did like it most via USB and phono than other sources whereby all was OK)
Today morning - and out of curiosity - did load 7.1.3 to confirm my choice for 8.1 and close the 7.x topic...

After listening to the first few pieces I had the feeling to have come back to music again
In my chain and for my ears 7.1.3 is much more musical plus combining the improved control in bass and resolution in mids
(without being aggressive nor as analytical as 8.1)

Bottom line is that for the moment my FW journey is over and instead of confirming 8.1 I will stick with 7.1.3 via Ethernet
It´s a pity to loose functionality like RAM and ICM though but for the moment from a music point of view no other choice for me

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - Vivialet - 17-Jun-2015

and what about USB with 7.1.3 ? Is AIR better than USB on 7.1.3 ?

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - miro - 17-Jun-2015

(17-Jun-2015, 08:24)hahe Wrote: Have given 8.1 a try since it was released and definitely did enjoy the sound and functionality
(I did like it most via USB and phono than other sources whereby all was OK)
Today morning - and out of curiosity - did load 7.1.3 to confirm my choice for 8.1 and close the 7.x topic...

After listening to the first few pieces I had the feeling to have come back to music again
In my chain and for my ears 7.1.3 is much more musical plus combining the improved control in bass and resolution in mids
(without being aggressive nor as analytical as 8.1)

Bottom line is that for the moment my FW journey is over and instead of confirming 8.1 I will stick with 7.1.3 via Ethernet
It´s a pity to loose functionality like RAM and ICM though but for the moment from a music point of view no other choice for me

Since so many people prefer 7.1.3, Devialet should create two versions of 8.1.0 in the future:
- one that is mostly based on 8.1 and has all the new features
- one that has all the new features, but uses the music processing from 7.1.3

so that users can compare the two and use the one that works better, while also enjoying the new capabilities.

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - hahe - 17-Jun-2015

(17-Jun-2015, 08:41)Vivialet Wrote: and what about USB with 7.1.3 ? Is AIR better than USB on 7.1.3 ?

that is the test still pending and scheduled for later this week ;-)
will send update once done and let you know

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - Vivialet - 17-Jun-2015

are you using SAM or sub with a high pass or low pass ? Both seems to make the sound more aggressive, so currently I'm listening without SAM and with an unfiltered pre-out. In this case 8.1 sounds really good. I will also compare this configuration to 7.1.3.