Devialet Chat
Firmware 8.1 released! - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet News (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-News)
+--- Thread: Firmware 8.1 released! (/Thread-Firmware-8-1-released)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - Vivialet - 18-Jun-2015

no, only the bugs of 8.0 were sometimes audible. beside that no difference.

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - oxfordaudio - 18-Jun-2015

When we have a concrete date in the diary for the SAM lab day we will be taking bookings to make sure we can fit everyone in. I will try and get some potential dates organised with Joachim from Devialet when he comes to help with the Phantom launch on July 15th. If you would like to get sent our invitations, we have a mailing list you can join from our website.

Rufus, I feel like a bit of a tit in admitting that I was sat at home with my 400 loading and reloading versions to see if I could hear a difference. Eventually after several swaps and a bottle of plonk I became convinced that 8.1.0 seemed possibly fractionally smoother. I blame you lot for the expectation bias! Jon, the boss here, was not convinced that there was a difference.

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - Jean-Marie - 18-Jun-2015

(18-Jun-2015, 12:45)Rufus McDufus Wrote:
(18-Jun-2015, 11:43)oxfordaudio Wrote: One EXCEPTIONALLY interesting point made to us by Devialet (and one that I was fairly taken aback by) is that there is apparently no difference in how 8.1.0 and 8.0.0 process audio. The only difference in the two FW versions is in the human interface.
That's interesting. I have to smugly admit I haven't detected any sound quality differences. Without reading the whole thread back I don't think many (or any?) others have noted any differences either?

I am very surprised on this particular point. Maybe it is true with SAM Off, but I reported to Devialet a bug on 8.0.0 with SAM and my speakers and had been testing a 8.0.1 beta version about two weeks fore the release of the official 8.0.1.

The type of bug (which was the low bass rumble and kind of breathing effect) cannot be explained only by a bad reading and mis-parametrisation of the SAM algorithm, so I am very convinced that, at least with SAM on (I don't know for SAM off) the audio processing has been changed between 8.0.0 and 8.1.0.

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - PhilP - 18-Jun-2015

A quick check of the files included with 8.0 and 8.1 shows the files that changed were:

dspm0800.hex -> dspm0801.hex
ihm0800.hex -> ihm0801.hex

and the fw_list.txt file which just reflects those changes

The files that appear to relate to the PSU are quite old so I guess the DPM code isn't in there ?

Based on the name of the first file that would seem to relate to signal processing...

There was definitely something 'not right' with the sound of 8.0 when I tried it. I put it down to the various bugs that had been reported and DPM and quickly back-tracked to 7.1.3. 8.1 sounds fine to me with the Aurender that I'm trialling but I may try 7.1.3 just to see whether its any better.

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - ogs - 18-Jun-2015

(18-Jun-2015, 17:50)PhilP Wrote: A quick check of the files included with 8.0 and 8.1 shows the files that changed were:

dspm0800.hex -> dspm0801.hex
ihm0800.hex -> ihm0801.hex

and the fw_list.txt file which just reflects those changes

The files that appear to relate to the PSU are quite old so I guess the DPM code isn't in there ?

Based on the name of the first file that would seem to relate to signal processing...

There was definitely something 'not right' with the sound of 8.0 when I tried it. I put it down to the various bugs that had been reported and DPM and quickly back-tracked to 7.1.3.  8.1 sounds fine to me with the Aurender that I'm trialling but I may try 7.1.3 just to see whether its any better.

I had a quick detour to 8.1 last night just to check after using 7.1.3 for over four weeks. There is a difference and I am now back to 7.1.3. For my system and room etc. I prefer7.1.3.
8.1 is certainly good. Maybe better than 7.1.3 in some respects (bass, general resolution..), but 7.1.3 is more musical and delivers a better presentation.

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - PhilP - 18-Jun-2015

(18-Jun-2015, 21:38)ogs Wrote: I had a quick detour to 8.1 last night just to check after using 7.1.3 for over four weeks. There is a difference and I am now back to 7.1.3. For my system and room etc. I prefer7.1.3.
8.1 is certainly good. Maybe better than 7.1.3 in some respects (bass, general resolution..), but 7.1.3 is more musical and delivers a better presentation.

That's interesting. I will definitely try 7.1.3 again. Thanks

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - Manoet - 19-Jun-2015

I've often wondered how much of a role "1st impressions" may play into some of our preferences. In my case my 200 came with 7.1.2 and I've experimented with 7.1.3 and 8.1 many times. I don't have easy access to a 7.1.1 card to try and opted out of 8.0 altogether. But surprisingly (or perhaps not) I still find my most frequented & listened to FW is the original. Doesn't hurt that its also the easiest to revert-to with the simple on/off throw of a wall switch where later revisions require slightly more time & effort. I can also appreciate an ''outta-the-box" configuration as experimenting with SAM settings can be all over the map success-wise and tends to remove some of the casual, easy going comfort level in just sitting, listening and enjoying the music. I seldom enjoy being system-critical which I'm discovering is an undesirable symptom that extensive adjustability seems to inflict on me. Now that my 200 is back having its balance issue sorted I find I miss it and long to just sit & listen to it once again. Not the tweaked version mind you but just the way it sounded and worked right outta the box. It was so good and things were so simple and easy. I think that's what I miss most!!

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - Vivialet - 19-Jun-2015

I think 7.1.2 was never available for download. I'm currently listening to 7.1.3 again and I think it is the best sounding option. More relaxed than 8.1.

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - imprezap2 - 20-Jun-2015

I have my Devialet 200 for a couple of months now, at the moment running firmware 8.1. With many comments in this thread regarding 7.1.3 I am interested to try this version. On the website I can only find version 7.1.1, is there a place where I can find 7.1.3 ?

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - Damon - 20-Jun-2015

imprezap2,

I had help finding 7.1.3 from another member; you may be able to find it with a search. However, I've just looked on the page with my configurations, and I only see 7.1.1. Since you had the same result, we may be on the wrong page, or else it has been removed.

One of us may be able to email you the 7.1.3 firmware. I have it, but I have not installed it. Still on 7.1.1 myself. Apparently I possess a remarkable resistance to the tinkering urge... but it doesn't stop me from reading the firmware update threads.