Devialet Chat
Firmware 8.1 released! - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet News (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-News)
+--- Thread: Firmware 8.1 released! (/Thread-Firmware-8-1-released)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - Rufus McDufus - 23-Jun-2015

I'm not convinced it's really necessary for them to provide the failsafe of having to do a full reset or power cord replacement in order for the firmware update to start. The removal of the files in order to prevent subsequent updates seems like an adequate failsafe to me, and it's not that the update process is potentially that harmful anyway. It seems like unncessary complication to me. Perhaps a simple confirmation yes/no to update if a full update set of files is found on bootup would be clearer?
[edit] I realise an update confirmation would require the unit to already be running (at least partially) a booted firmware. The bootloader may not be smart enough to perform the file checks and offer the confirmation.

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - strummer - 23-Jun-2015

Just Downloaded 8.1 & inserted SD Card.

Got the message :

PLEASE REDO CONFIG ON OUR WEBSITE

OLD SAM CONFIG FILE

I re-done my Configuration several times, but same result. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - Antoine - 23-Jun-2015

Did you read and follow the 8.1 manual?

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - strummer - 23-Jun-2015

OK, sorted now.

Yes, I was following the 8.1 Manual. I was pressing the Front Button for 5+ seconds. Multiple attempts, all I was getting was "Factory Config".

As soon as I Unplugged, it worked properly.

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - Yippedidou - 23-Jun-2015

(22-Jun-2015, 22:32)mauidan Wrote:
(22-Jun-2015, 22:18)Vivialet Wrote: the manual file does not belong to the firmware files, you don't need to copy it to the SD card.

I did some intensive listening on the weekend between 7.1.3 and 8.1. The difference is very very small. I would still prefer 7.1.3 maybe, but I finally decided to go with 8.1 because of ICM, cooler operation and DSD capability. The difference in SQ is not worth to go back.
btw., I'm not using SAM anymore.

How much cooler did it run with 8.1?

Does 7.1.3 run hotter than 7.1.1?

In my set up, 8.1 with DPM enabled is at least 6-7 degrees cooler. Without DPM, its back to 7.1.3 level. Did not try 7.1.1
I find the ssame as Vivialet. I slightly prefer 7.1.3 but 8.1 is very close and the fact it runs cooler is a + for me. I'm going to test the phase + and - and SAM on/off later this week.

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - Sylvain27 - 23-Jun-2015

(22-Jun-2015, 13:25)Mikeeo Wrote: Thanks Sylvain! And that the companion went to sleep and then could be started by start the master is also normal or? Will happen over and over again?

/Mike

Yes, it is normal but in the configurator : general settings, power saving, you can choose the low power delay and the sleep delay. You can also disable low power delay and (or) sleep delay.
  Best regards,
Sylvain

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - Mikeeo - 23-Jun-2015

(23-Jun-2015, 14:15)Sylvain27 Wrote:
(22-Jun-2015, 13:25)Mikeeo Wrote: Thanks Sylvain! And that the companion went to sleep and then could be started by start the master is also normal or? Will happen over and over again?

/Mike

Yes, it is normal but in the configurator : general settings, power saving, you can choose the low power delay and the sleep delay. You can also disable low power delay and (or) sleep delay.
  Best regards,
Sylvain
Thanks Sylvain,

I already have these non active as my gear is on all the time.

/Mike

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - Mikeeo - 23-Jun-2015

In general 8.1 is better in both SQ and usability in terms of setting options. However now I have bottom out bass at some material which I almost managed to cure with the correct phase setting.
Still it occurs though so anyone else with the same experience to which I think is valid only for smaller speakers!? Does SAM V2 allow deeper bass or higher volume in the low freq area? To me I do not feel more bass or louder low freq than before only bottom out at some material, software flaw?

Mike

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - Music or sound - 23-Jun-2015

I like the 8.1 sound quality, especially now the crossover function (via configurator) works correctly. Before I got a slope with first order of 4.5dB/octave but now the correct slope of 6dB/octave! Tweaking time alignment would great but still missing in the firmware/configurator.

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - Vivialet - 23-Jun-2015

I have measured my speakers room response with SAM V1 and V2. With V1 there was an extreme bass boost like a low shelf filter starting around 100 Hz. With SAM at 100% I had about 10db level increase at 20 Hz. With SAM V2 the low shelf starts at 50hz, the level increase at 20Hz is only 3db. So there is a big difference between both versions, at least for the Giya G2 profile.
Most recordings do not really contain such low frequencies, so in most cases there is no hearable bass boost. My speakers go down to 20Hz anyway (the room helps a bit).
If the phase correction of SAM would result in general better SQ I would still keep SAM with 0% or maybe 20%, but as soon as I activate SAM the higher frequencies get more agressive and less natural. So currently SAM is not an option for me. It seems as if the processing does have a negative impact. Not sure if SAM V1 had the same impact, but here this was maybe hidden by the stronger bass response.