Devialet Chat
Firmware 8.1 released! - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet News (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-News)
+--- Thread: Firmware 8.1 released! (/Thread-Firmware-8-1-released)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - GuillaumeB - 12-Jun-2015

(12-Jun-2015, 18:36)PhilP Wrote:
(12-Jun-2015, 17:57)GuillaumeB Wrote: First impressions of 8.1 are positive. Not sure if it's quite as good as 7.1.3 but it's very close. And also I've got DPM on at the moment. Might try toggling that on and off.

Guillaume

Yes, its funny but I think maybe 7.1.3 is still a bit better - slightly less analytical.  The main problem I have with 8.1 is with some vocals which are a bit harsh/grainy.  I've always associated those type of defects with noise in the system (EMI/RFI/mains) but I'm not sure why 8.1 should be worse in this respect. Perhaps DPM is part of the cause - worth trying switching it off anyway.

True I'm finding female vocals aren't sounding quite as good (no harshness here but perhaps a little graininess, not sure) however after deactivating DPM it sounded better. Hardly day and night so quite tricky to call this one. I can definitely live with 8.1 but it isn't the wow! of 7.1.3

Guillaume

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - jfp - 12-Jun-2015

Listening to STRAY CAT BLUES (Stones on Aftermath). The sound is exquisite Smile

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - Floyd67 - 12-Jun-2015

(12-Jun-2015, 17:57)GuillaumeB Wrote: First impressions of 8.1 are positive. Not sure if it's quite as good as 7.1.3 but it's very close. And also I've got DPM on at the moment. Might try toggling that on and off.

Guillaume

I have reverted back to 7.1.3. I thought that 8.1 was a lot better than 8.0, but is still slightly forward in the mids and treble, which after a period of about 30mins started to hurt my left ear. The bass is more defined/controlled and it may be slightly more detailed/ accurate in 8.1 but is not as fun to listen to. In my set up with using Air Wifi, I found it more enjoyable with a more open captivating musical sound. I'd be interested in hearing other users views.

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - Floyd67 - 12-Jun-2015

(12-Jun-2015, 19:21)GuillaumeB Wrote:

Guillaume

Yes, its funny but I think maybe 7.1.3 is still a bit better - slightly less analytical.  The main problem I have with 8.1 is with some vocals which are a bit harsh/grainy.  I've always associated those type of defects with noise in the system (EMI/RFI/mains) but I'm not sure why 8.1 should be worse in this respect. Perhaps DPM is part of the cause - worth trying switching it off anyway.

True I'm finding female vocals aren't sounding quite as good (no harshness here but perhaps a little graininess, not sure) however after deactivating DPM it sounded better. Hardly day and night so quite tricky to call this one. I can definitely live with 8.1 but it isn't the wow! of 7.1.3

Guillaume

It felt as though I was listening to the music with 7.1.3 and Hi-Fi with 8.1

(12-Jun-2015, 19:48)Floyd67 Wrote:
(12-Jun-2015, 19:21)GuillaumeB Wrote:

Guillaume

Guillaume

It felt as though I was listening to the music with 7.1.3 and Hi-Fi with 8.1

Yes 7.1.3 sounds more natural, more musical. Anyway I will live with 8.1 for a bit and see how I get on.

Guillaume

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - ogs - 12-Jun-2015

(12-Jun-2015, 19:03)amabrok Wrote:

Guillaume

Actually I'm so much in love with 7.1.3 that I still resist firmware 8 and to date never tired any release , neither 8.0 nor 8.1.0 (both old and new).

I still can't believe that we have to denote releases by old and new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've made up my mind. I prefer7.1.3. It is just wonderful!
8.1 has lots of detail and probably better bass, but with 7.1.3 instruments and performers are in my room. There is a directness and realism to the presentation that 8.1 does not do despite being more detailed. 8.1 is improved compared to 8.0.0 and has moved in the direction of 7.1.3, but instead of keeping the strong points of 7.1.3 there is just more detail. This might be system dependent of course. Maybe 7.1.3 is a perfect match for my setup. However, judging from the responses of amabrok, PhilP and Guillaume and others I think 7.1.3 is special.

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - pthierry - 12-Jun-2015

I'm sure Devialet engineers roll on the floor laughing when they read people comparing subtle sonic properties of firmware versions (except s/w bugs that definitely alter sound quality, or changes to algorithms that are meant to change sonic characteristics, like SAM)

(12-Jun-2015, 20:22)pthierry Wrote: I'm sure Devialet engineers roll on the floor laughing when they read people comparing subtle sonic properties of firmware versions (except s/w bugs that definitely alter sound quality, or changes to algorithms that are meant to change sonic characteristics, like SAM)

From Devialet themselves:

"Actually the 7.1.1 compared to the 7.1.3 is very different; Because the 7.1.3 brought many ameliorations to the 7.1.1.
So it is not surprising that the sound is better on the 7.1.3, simply because it corrects and improve the general version 7 of the firmware.
Of course in the future, we hope to do the same with firmware 8."

Guillaume

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - Petter - 12-Jun-2015

7.1.3 for me is still the best Smile

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - Petter - 12-Jun-2015

(12-Jun-2015, 20:22)pthierry Wrote: I'm sure Devialet engineers roll on the floor laughing when they read people comparing subtle sonic properties of firmware versions (except s/w bugs that definitely alter sound quality, or changes to algorithms that are meant to change sonic characteristics, like SAM)

Depens on your system ? What do you play your music on ? 

Quite big diffrences when using 250 or 400 and up