Devialet Chat
Devialet and bluray movies - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: Devialet and bluray movies (/Thread-Devialet-and-bluray-movies)

Pages: 1 2

Devialet and bluray movies - mixart - 02-Aug-2014

I'm about to order a Devialet product and I will use it for music and bluray movies. To use the Devialets DAC for bluray movies, I can't get access to DTS-HD Master or Dolby HD, because it only support PCM.

I know I can connect Devialet and bluray player analog and it will work, but I am only interest to use the Devialets DAC digital.

So I am thinking about to convert all my bluray movies lossless down to a NAS server and also convert the DTS-HD Master/Dolby HD to 24bit PCM.

Do you think this will work? and also streaming the sound from the movies on my Macbook Pro Retina to Devialet, so I only have to connect a HDMI cable from my laptop to my HDTV?

Sorry for my bad english Blush

RE: Devialet and bluray movies - f1eng - 03-Aug-2014

Can't help with question precisely, but I do use my Devialet for the front channels of surround sound with films but using one of the analogue inputs defined in the configurator as fixed, and using my 7 channel preamp for volume control.
When I had a D-Premier I used its hdmi input for tv sound, but that is stereo only, so not ideal for films.

RE: Devialet and bluray movies - mixart - 03-Aug-2014

So does your front speakers sound good for movies with Devialet? I'm only gonna use it stereo for music and movies. No surrounding for me.

RE: Devialet and bluray movies - Mikeeo - 04-Aug-2014

Hi,

I only use 2 CH for movies ie the same set up as for music. I was blown away with the first movies how good it sounded with all the effects specially in the lower freq regions (that was with my 200). I see no need in going surround for movies but on the other hand the system is mainly used for 2 CH music.
Now with 400 set up it is even better in terms in resolution and dynamics which really gives the movies a much higher enjoyment factor.

/Mike

Hi again,

By the way, I connect my blue ray player (Oppo 103D) digital Dolby 2 CH output to one of the digital in on the Devialet. Works superb!

/Mike

RE: Devialet and bluray movies - f1eng - 04-Aug-2014

(03-Aug-2014, 21:32)mixart Wrote: So does your front speakers sound good for movies with Devialet? I'm only gonna use it stereo for music and movies. No surrounding for me.

Yes

RE: Devialet and bluray movies - mixart - 04-Aug-2014

(04-Aug-2014, 07:57)Mikeeo Wrote: Hi,

I only use 2 CH for movies ie the same set up as for music. I was blown away with the first movies how good it sounded with all the effects specially in the lower freq regions (that was with my 200). I see no need in going surround for movies but on the other hand the system is mainly used for 2 CH music.
Now with 400 set up it is even better in terms in resolution and dynamics which really gives the movies a much higher enjoyment factor.

/Mike

Hi again,

By the way, I connect my blue ray player (Oppo 103D) digital Dolby 2 CH output to one of the digital in on the Devialet. Works superb!

/Mike

I don't care for surrounding either. When I'm in the cinema, I miss my 2 CH THULE PA350B/PR350BV/B&W XT4 at home. You should never have mentioned all the good things about 400 Big Grin What speakers do you have, since you are running 400? I don't know if I can hear the difference between 200 and 400 with B&W 804 or 805 Diamond, when the speakers are B&W smallest diamond series. One of these two speakers are going to replace my B&W XT4 next year.

Have you tried to connect your bluray player analog output to the Devialet to take advance of Oppo's Dac and get 2 CH 24bit Dolby HD/DTS-HD master instead of 16bit Dolby Digital/DTS, when using the digital output?

(04-Aug-2014, 15:45)mixart Wrote:
(04-Aug-2014, 07:57)Mikeeo Wrote: Hi,

/Mike

Hi again,

/Mike

I don't care for surrounding either. When I'm in the cinema, I miss my 2 CH THULE PA350B/PR350BV/B&W XT4 at home. You should never have mentioned all the good things about 400 Big Grin What speakers do you have, since you are running 400? I don't know if I can hear the difference between 200 and 400 with B&W 804 or 805 Diamond, when the speakers are B&W smallest diamond series. One of these two speakers are going to replace my B&W XT4 next year.

Have you tried to connect your bluray player analog output to the Devialet to take advance of Oppo's Dac and get 2 CH 24bit Dolby HD/DTS-HD master instead of 16bit Dolby Digital/DTS, when using the digital output?
Kenzo,

Thanks for the last input, I will try that for sure!
About difference between D200 and D400, he he, the least important factor is the power increase (if you do not have extreme tricky loudspeakers) the big factors are, bigger sound scape, more details from your records, lightning fast dynamics (big factor from going D400) etc etc ie like pulling a blanket off your speakers Wink

/Mike

Kenzo, forgot the speakers!

At the moment I am running Monitor Audio PL100 but looking at preliminary replacing these with Sonus Faber Amati Futura, but will audition some more before deciding.

/Mike

RE: Devialet and bluray movies - mixart - 04-Aug-2014

(04-Aug-2014, 16:06)Mikeeo Wrote: Kenzo,

About difference between D200 and D400, he he, the least important factor is the power increase (if you do not have extreme tricky loudspeakers) the big factors are, bigger sound scape, more details from your records, lightning fast dynamics (big factor from going D400) etc etc ie like pulling a blanket off your speakers Wink

/Mike

At the moment I am running Monitor Audio PL100 but looking at preliminary replacing these with Sonus Faber Amati Futura, but will audition some more before deciding.

/Mike

When I'm switching between Dolby Digital/DTS and Dolby HD/DTS-HD Master for my system there is a huge step in sound quality in every area. Even with my B&W XT4 speakers.

That sounds really nice with 200 vs 400. But isn't that what SAM can do for the 200 or most of it? I can see that Monitor Audio PL100 don't support SAM yet.

And Mikeeo, please report back, when you have tried the analog connection between your Oppo and Devialet, and tell if it sound better with the Oppo 24bit Dolby HD/DTS-HD Master? The dac in the Devialet should be better, but the resolution are better with the Oppo, if the movie don't support PCM, which the Devialet has.

(04-Aug-2014, 17:53)mixart Wrote:
(04-Aug-2014, 16:06)Mikeeo Wrote: Kenzo,

/Mike

/Mike

When I'm switching between Dolby Digital/DTS and Dolby HD/DTS-HD Master for my system there is a huge step in sound quality in every area. Even with my B&W XT4 speakers.

That sounds really nice with 200 vs 400. But isn't that what SAM can do for the 200 or most of it? I can see that Monitor Audio PL100 don't support SAM yet.

And Mikeeo, please report back, when you have tried the analog connection between your Oppo and Devialet, and tell if it sound better with the Oppo 24bit Dolby HD/DTS-HD Master? The dac in the Devialet should be better, but the resolution are better with the Oppo, if the movie don't support PCM, which the Devialet has.

Hey, now you got me hooked, will def try this. I will report back but it will take some time as I will be moving in a few days and will be back from vacation tomorrow. So please be patient with my response with regards to this matter.

/Mike

RE: Devialet and bluray movies - mixart - 05-Aug-2014

I'm looking forward to that.