Devialet Chat
A 120 (with pre amp option) as Preamp/Dac/Streamer for a tube amps? - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet D-Premier, Expert 120/200/250, Expert 140/220/250 Pro (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-D-Premier-Expert-120-200-250-Expert-140-220-250-Pro)
+--- Thread: A 120 (with pre amp option) as Preamp/Dac/Streamer for a tube amps? (/Thread-A-120-with-pre-amp-option-as-Preamp-Dac-Streamer-for-a-tube-amps)

A 120 (with pre amp option) as Preamp/Dac/Streamer for a tube amps? - BestAlexEver - 19-Oct-2015

Folks I really appreciate what DEVIALET has brought to the world of high end audio, fantastic sound, integrated in the true sense of the word (Preamp/amp/DAC/Streamer/butler...well the last one is not true, but you know what I mean.  Big Grin
My 120 has been and still is a great source of musical enjoyment, but must admit that to my ears high end tube amps (PrimaLuna, Mcintosh, VTL to name a few) are more "natural" and involving in reproducing music. This said the practical side of the Devialet DAC/Streamer/iOS app...is VERY addictive. So what's a man to do?
Could I mix a 120 (with pre amp option) as a preamp/dac/streamer and pair it with a tube amp? Is there a way to get the best of both world or will I end up with a frankenstein audio creature?
As anyone tried to run a devialet only as a preamp/DAC/Streamer, and if so what was the result?
Cheers,
Alex

RE: A 120 (with pre amp option) as Preamp/Dac/Streamer for a tube amps? - Pim - 20-Oct-2015

What about a cheap Wavelength USB DAC into your analog input and using the 120 as a power amp?

RE: A 120 (with pre amp option) as Preamp/Dac/Streamer for a tube amps? - goflyshirley - 29-Oct-2015

(19-Oct-2015, 22:33)BestAlexEver Wrote: Folks I really appreciate what DEVIALET has brought to the world of high end audio, fantastic sound, integrated in the true sense of the word (Preamp/amp/DAC/Streamer/butler...well the last one is not true, but you know what I mean.  Big Grin
My 120 has been and still is a great source of musical enjoyment, but must admit that to my ears high end tube amps (PrimaLuna, Mcintosh, VTL to name a few) are more "natural" and involving in reproducing music. This said the practical side of the Devialet DAC/Streamer/iOS app...is VERY addictive. So what's a man to do?
Could I mix a 120 (with pre amp option) as a preamp/dac/streamer and pair it with a tube amp? Is there a way to get the best of both world or will I end up with a frankenstein audio creature?
As anyone tried to run a devialet only as a preamp/DAC/Streamer, and if so what was the result?
Cheers,
Alex

I have very often wondered the exact thing... I also have a 120 with pre out board installed, and have successfully used it with a stereo pair of subwoofers. That being said, I can't report back the findings regarding to sound quality.
Using it as a DAC/PRE running into some good tube amplification might just net a very nice system!
I suppose the first one of us to try this, should report his finding to the other.
Sergio

RE: A 120 (with pre amp option) as Preamp/Dac/Streamer for a tube amps? - Gentleman - 29-Oct-2015

Hi.

We have tried a D250 as a pre for large mono-amps. Unfortunately this was not really successful SQ-wise.

Instead we finally trid a D800 and overall the performance was better than with the large KRELLS before...

In Dubio Pro Audio

Jan

RE: A 120 (with pre amp option) as Preamp/Dac/Streamer for a tube amps? - JeanF - 31-Oct-2015

(29-Oct-2015, 21:43)Gentleman Wrote: Hi.

We have tried a D250 as a pre for large mono-amps. Unfortunately this was not really successful SQ-wise.

Instead we finally trid a D800 and overall the performance was better than with the large KRELLS before...

In Dubio Pro Audio

Jan

Synergy.....the magic word !

RE: A 120 (with pre amp option) as Preamp/Dac/Streamer for a tube amps? - goflyshirley - 18-Dec-2015

I almost pulled the trigger on a couple SET monoblocs a few days ago... I really wanted to try these babies with my D120/preout running them. I agree with above poster on synergy; but there's only ONE way to find out... try it!

Have you had any luck with experimentation?