Devialet Chat
Mac AIR v MiND 180 v Auralic ARIES v totaldac d1 server - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: Mac AIR v MiND 180 v Auralic ARIES v totaldac d1 server (/Thread-Mac-AIR-v-MiND-180-v-Auralic-ARIES-v-totaldac-d1-server)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

RE: Mac AIR v MiND 180 v Auralic ARIES v totaldac d1 server - Confused - 09-Oct-2014

"Music just sounded more full bodied, more colorful. Bass also appeared to be deeper and more robust." This sounds like just my kind of thing! (How a device that just delivers 1's and 0's can make these kind of differences baffles me!) I'm guessing bass did not appear to be deeper and more robust vs the Totaldac's performance? Any views?

RE: Mac AIR v MiND 180 v Auralic ARIES v totaldac d1 server - GuillaumeB - 10-Oct-2014

(09-Oct-2014, 22:46)Confused Wrote: "Music just sounded more full bodied, more colorful. Bass also appeared to be deeper and more robust." This sounds like just my kind of thing! (How a device that just delivers 1's and 0's can make these kind of differences baffles me!) I'm guessing bass did not appear to be deeper and more robust vs the Totaldac's performance? Any views?

Just to clarify this wasn't my conclusion. Where I do agree with the reviewer is that the MiND draws you more into the music. It's more musical. But the Aries has more detail. There's definitely a trade off.

As for the MiND v totaldac, whilst they are both very capable and musical renderers, the totaldac is clearly on another level. I would say it's not as simple as the bass sounding "deeper and more robust". It's the tonal texture of the bass and the way that it's presented which is so much better. Everything just feels so much more "right". There is a kind of syrupiness to the presentation. It's effortlessly natural, where the Aries sounded a bit contrived at times.

Guillaume

RE: Mac AIR v MiND 180 v Auralic ARIES v totaldac d1 server - Confused - 12-Oct-2014

Guillaume - interesting feedback, I'm starting to get the distinct impression you rather like that that that little Totaldac!

RE: Mac AIR v MiND 180 v Auralic ARIES v totaldac d1 server - mauidan - 16-Oct-2014

AURALiC tease Aries streamer software updates at RMAF ’14.

"Do you see the USB thumb drive protruding from the rear of the Aries? The need for a host PC or NAS drive is now obviated. Knockout!"

[Image: auralic_aries_RMAF14_1-640x300.png]

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2014/10/auralic-tease-aries-software-updates-at-rmaf-14/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=auralic-tease-aries-software-updates-at-rmaf-14

RE: Mac AIR v MiND 180 v Auralic ARIES v totaldac d1 server - ErikM - 13-Nov-2014

I just got my Aries and I'm very happy. It sounds every bit as good as AIR.. and even a bit better.. It needs some more break in so I suspect it'll get better still as the hours build up.

I though AIR sounded great but I really didn't like J.river, and I didn't like to have to turn on my iMac to listen and then of course there's the white noise that would pop up now and then.

I've tweaked my Aries a bit. I'm using an AudioQuest NRG1000 on the power supply, I've switched the fuse for a HiFi Tuning Supreme in the power supply, I also put some Herbie's Labs Baby Bootie feet on the power supply, and I'm using an AudioQuest Diamond for the USB.

All in all very happy with the Aries, I do wish it had support for more streaming services, but I think for what it does and how great it sounds that at $1600.00 it's a very good value.

RE: Mac AIR v MiND 180 v Auralic ARIES v totaldac d1 server - IGuardianI - 13-Nov-2014

(13-Nov-2014, 00:39)ErikM Wrote: I just got my Aries and I'm very happy. It sounds every bit as good as AIR.. and even a bit better.. It needs some more break in so I suspect it'll get better still as the hours build up.

I though AIR sounded great but I really didn't like J.river, and I didn't like to have to turn on my iMac to listen and then of course there's the white noise that would pop up now and then.

I've tweaked my Aries a bit. I'm using an AudioQuest NRG1000 on the power supply, I've switched the fuse for a HiFi Tuning Supreme in the power supply, I also put some Herbie's Labs Baby Bootie feet on the power supply, and I'm using an AudioQuest Diamond for the USB.

All in all very happy with the Aries, I do wish it had support for more streaming services, but I think for what it does and how great it sounds that at $1600.00 it's a very good value.

Have you tried the nrg 1000 also with your Devialet? If yes what are your findings?

RE: Mac AIR v MiND 180 v Auralic ARIES v totaldac d1 server - ErikM - 13-Nov-2014

When I first got the Devialet I compared the NRG1000 to a Shunyata Black Mamba CX/HC that I had been using previously on my (now departed) Ayon amp. I recently replaced the NRG1000 with a Lessloss DFPC Signature which I found a better match to my 200.

The NRG1000 sounds very fast and clean, not bright but extremely neutral with a very back background.. The Lessloss has more body and better dynamics, it sounds bigger and a bit warmer which I feel complements the Devialet sound better than the AQ cable, at least in my system and to my ears.. YMMV :-)

RE: Mac AIR v MiND 180 v Auralic ARIES v totaldac d1 server - Confused - 14-Nov-2014

I notice the NRG plugs are about £170 but the cables over £1000? What do you actually need?

RE: Mac AIR v MiND 180 v Auralic ARIES v totaldac d1 server - ErikM - 15-Nov-2014

I'm not sure what you mean.

RE: Mac AIR v MiND 180 v Auralic ARIES v totaldac d1 server - Audiobenpdx - 22-Dec-2014

(18-Sep-2014, 21:09)Kunter Wrote:
(17-Sep-2014, 18:30)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(16-Sep-2014, 19:33)Kunter Wrote: I now have an Aries singing in the system. And... I love it.

Good stuff. So how does it compare to AIR?

Guillaume

Early to tell...

And now I have the other toy, the new Cubox i.

Will do comparisons this weekend and post results...

Cubox is also good. Funny little device... I will post some initial impressions on the Cubox thread...

Cheers..

I am about to order a cubox I pro, and was wondering if I should get the version loaded w/Android or OpenElec, to use with squeezebox software, or does it matter?

Do you have a Link or reference for the process of Programing/installing software to make the cube-I work as a media server?

Thanks!
Ben