Devialet Chat
Sonore Streamers - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: Sonore Streamers (/Thread-Sonore-Streamers)

RE: Sonore Streamers - Confused - 08-May-2016

(08-May-2016, 00:29)baddog Wrote: I have mine plugged straight into the back of the D400 using the hard adapter that came with it.

Any first impressions of sound quality baddog?

RE: Sonore Streamers - baddog - 08-May-2016

(08-May-2016, 07:58)octaviars Wrote:
(08-May-2016, 00:29)baddog Wrote: I have mine plugged straight into the back of the D400 using the hard adapter that came with it.

Do you have anything to support the microRendu?  I dont think I have room behind my D400 to use the hard adapter but I might consider to rebuild my rack so it can fit behind.

Believe it or not I use a hockey puck and a stack of post its ( sticky notes ) to support the microRendu in back.

RE: Sonore Streamers - baddog - 08-May-2016

(08-May-2016, 11:28)Confused Wrote:

Any first impressions of sound quality baddog?

First impressions after having it since Thursday are an improvement in clarity, a little more precision in the bass ( no pun intended for you bassists out there ), a little more openness in sound. For those who enjoy hearing a guitarists fingers slide to the frets, no problems hearing those at low volume ( -40  on volume control - sitting 8 feet away )So far no downsides. I am a cautious reviewer, and I always like to test by getting used to new sound and then removing it to determine what might be missing.

However I can say at the moment the system sounds wonderful.

This is using the Uptone Audio JS-2. Previously I used it to power a Mac Mini and a Regen. I have not had the Regen for several months. The Mini is off at the moment as I am using my Synology NAS for RoonServer. microRendu in RoonReady model.

No comparison to AIR ( when it works ) yet, need a few more days to get used to the sound then I will remove it from system and compare to what I had previously ( Mac Mini as RoonBridge ) and to prior AIR Setup ( which included Windows 10 system in RoonBridge mode ).

FWIW, and of course I cannot verify, so consider it anecdotal. I have a friend with an UpTone Audio JS-2 with an Auralic Aries ( top of the line model ) going to a Vega DAC, and he believes that the microRendo is truly amazing.

RE: Sonore Streamers - Hifi_swlon - 08-May-2016

Mine's now in the UK apparently. Smile

I'm a bit torn already TBH as having recently reinstated Dirac - which I love again now it's more headless friendly - I know I can't use it with the Rendu and Roon, so even my comparisons with the Mac/Intona are going to be Diracless.

Loving the reports coming in so far here and elsewhere. Pleasantly positive and seemingly honest, but certainly none living fully up to hype/expectations in my opinion. There appears to be a lot of 'it's really good but am now thinking about a better power supply' rather than 'this totally blows away my current source'. Now just really want to see for myself....

RE: Sonore Streamers - baddog - 09-May-2016

Well for me the biggest improvement from my prior system was the speakers.

Then the change over to the Devialet 400's from the tube pre amp and amps I had was a logical progression at the same time.

So I went from a high efficiency speakers and tube based system to the G3s with D400s

That was a dramatic change. Something that moving to a microRendu could never complete with.

Thus the corresponding report, a positive change but in no way does it move the needle in the same manner as my other changes above did. The Silver Circle Audio power conditioner is another positive change. How do I know? Because I tried taking it out of the system and after a day had to put it back in.

The Regen I had for quite some time but pulled out of my system. I might have missed it a little but not too much. Plus I knew the next big thing was coming along so I figured better to let it go at the peak of it's resale value.

The only difference between my Synology 1812+ NAS running RoonServer and my Mac Mini using JS-2 power supply to run RoonServer is that search performance is better on the Mac Mini, no difference in sound quality.

RE: Sonore Streamers - Hifi_swlon - 09-May-2016

That makes complete sense. To be honest I wasn't really expecting a change of that magnitude, but so many people report huge differences when upgrading digital sources that its almost surprising when someone gives more 'honest' feedback.

When I demo'd the N100 I perceived a lot more details than from my Mac, but it didn't really change the sound signature at all, or at least if it did it was subtle. This surprised me at the time as I was hoping for more of everything - more bass etc - but that of course makes no sense. This is 'just' data delivery, so it shouldn't really change the sound dramatically on a bit-perfect stream otherwise it would be doing something to the data. I don't really know why I expected a bigger change - possibly just because some people (and reviewers) give the impression the change from a Mac to an Aurender is like buying a new system, whereas in fact its probably a lot more subtle than they make out. Still worthwhile though hopefully.

Bearing in mind your very balanced approach of keeping things comparative to key component upgrades like say speakers, it will be interesting to see whether if I detect any positive difference, wether that difference outweighs the difference Dirac makes. I've got a real feeling that it won't, as I find my system sounds a bit anaemic without it (i.e. I can live with it and get used to it, but I don't really like it, and definitely don't when I first turn Dirac off), but in a way that makes this experiment more interesting.....

Mine's in customs now. Let's see how this compares to my Regen delivery experience....

RE: Sonore Streamers - Hifi_swlon - 09-May-2016

Out of interest, does anyone think a dedicated microRendu thread is in order?

RE: Sonore Streamers - Petter - 09-May-2016

Quote:That makes complete sense. To be honest I wasn't really expecting a change of that magnitude, but so many people report huge differences when upgrading digital sources that its almost surprising when someone gives more 'honest' feedback

Jepps , and difficult when not comparing apples /apples

When u compare example against air we have a lot of differences, Dev 120,200,250,dual mono,air with Ethernet or not,cables/switch,tweaks used etc  etc Smile

But One thing is for sure is that this different solutions for best sound don't stop with the first,Sonore is just one of many to come I suppose in that segment

RE: Sonore Streamers - Antoine - 09-May-2016

(08-May-2016, 19:46)Hifi_swlon Wrote: <cut>

Loving the reports coming in so far here and elsewhere. Pleasantly positive and seemingly honest, but certainly none living fully up to hype/expectations in my opinion. There appears to be a lot of 'it's really good but am now thinking about a better power supply' rather than 'this totally blows away my current source'. Now just really want to see for myself....

Exactly my view! Smile The initial reports for example with the Regen have been much more unanimous and "ecstatic".

RE: Sonore Streamers - Antoine - 09-May-2016

There's always limited objective value in the experience of other users. Different people have not only different systems (this includes the system but also acoustics, power quality etc. etc.) but also different expectations, bias'es, training in hearing/'hearing abilities'. Different people value changes/improvements differently and have different styles of describing these changes.

Yet I usually value user reports over professional reviews. I always value/look for reports of people with similar systems/system components and similar experience. By reading and visiting the different forums often enough you get "to know" the people that are active on these forums and some of them you'll start to 'trust' because of them having had/described similar experiences as yours. Of course the best is always to experience/try out things yourself. Smile