Devialet Chat
Sonore Streamers - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: Sonore Streamers (/Thread-Sonore-Streamers)

RE: Sonore Streamers - mdconnelly - 09-May-2016

I think we have to keep in mind that AIR sounds pretty damn good when it works. If AIR worked perfectly, I wonder if there would be much of any discussion here on DevialetChat about the Sonore uRendu. I suspect not.

Most of us buy system upgrades for the sole purpose of improving sound quality. But I suspect most Expert owners here bought into the uRendu (or are considering it) to solve a problem that Devialet has not been able to solve. The fact that the uRendu actually is an improvement over AIR both functionally and in sound quality is a huge win. And, for those of us that have become quite enamored with Roon, the uRendu fits perfectly into that ecosystem. Another win.

If there is a new thread, how about "Streaming Without AIR".

RE: Sonore Streamers - Antoine - 09-May-2016

IME AIR can be improved upon, that is the USB interface can better it SQ wise when using an optimized PC/USB subsystem (I personally never had any issues with AIR, either through WiFi/ethernet BTW). Different people on this forum share this experience.

And it's worse, I'm also suspecting the USB input of the Devialet to be of sub-par quality. Using the Mutec MC-3+ USB connected to the AES/EBU input of my Devialet showed considerable SQ improvements, even comparing it to using the same computer with different USB 'improvers' like the JCAT USB card (battery fed), Regen and Intona. Of course this could also be thanks to the Mutec perhaps being a better USB DDC and re-clocker.

I personally don't see a reason for a new thread. We're discussing the microRendu which is a Sonore product right? Smile

RE: Sonore Streamers - Confused - 09-May-2016

I think mdconelly makes some good points. The thing is, AIR does sound good when it's working. I recently auditioned the Melco N1Z (£7k) and Aurender W20 (13k). When I arrived back home I tried a few of my 'demo' tracks via AIR, with a resulting sound quality that made me think how good AIR really is, not a case of thinking this is terrible, details gone, bass definition gone or whatever. I am not saying AIR is as good as a W20, the W20 was creating some magic that AIR does not quite achieve, but the margins are quite small, especially considering the asking price of the Aurender.

So for me, the early reports of the microRendu edging ahead of AIR are very impressive I think, especially in mdconnelly's case, running a basic PSU.

So how good is the microRendu? Picking up on Antoine's point regarding the subtleties of peoples systems, hearing, preferences and so on, I don't think there will ever be a definitive answer to this one. Taking the Aurender W20 vs Melco N1Z as an example, I preferred the Aurender with the system and music I heard it with, I know others, with different ears, music and speakers, have preferred the N1Z. For me the margins between the N1Z & W20 are so subtle I can easily imagine that in another system on another day, or even just with a different demo playlist of music, the N1Z could easily prevail. From early reports it is beginning to look like the microRendu has made it into the Melco / Aurender league for sound quality, but is it at the N1A / N100 level or up there embarrassing the W20 and N1Z? I suspect the answer to this will never be 100% clear.

For me, I am currently debating if I should buy a microRendu just to try for myself, but unlike Antoine, I am a very patient man, so I think I'll wait for a bit more feedback and information first. (or I may simply have a rash 'oh sod it' moment and buy one anyway.....)

RE: Sonore Streamers - octaviars - 09-May-2016

(09-May-2016, 13:20)Antoine Wrote: IME AIR can be improved upon, that is the USB interface can better it SQ wise when using an optimized PC/USB subsystem (I personally never had any issues with AIR, either through WiFi/ethernet BTW). Different people on this forum share this experience.

And it's worse, I'm also suspecting the USB input of the Devialet to be of sub-par quality. Using the Mutec MC-3+ USB connected to the AES/EBU input of my Devialet showed considerable SQ improvements, even comparing it to using the same computer with different USB 'improvers' like the JCAT USB card (battery fed), Regen and Intona. Of course this could also be thanks to the Mutec perhaps being a better USB DDC and re-clocker.

I personally don't see a reason for a new thread. We're discussing the microRendu which is a Sonore product right? Smile

I suppose you are going to try the Mutec together with the microRendu?

RE: Sonore Streamers - Antoine - 09-May-2016

(09-May-2016, 14:13)octaviars Wrote: I suppose you are going to try the Mutec together with the microRendu?

Absolutely, AIR WiFi/ethernet and USB are all disabled in my Devialet. Smile I might try the microRendu one day directly connected to Devialet's USB input though but it has no priority and I don't expect it to be better.

Even if the microRendu doesn't sound better than my current solution but at least as good I'll keep it and remove the PC/HD Plex PSU etc. from the system. It'll then be:

Upstairs (office) DIY NAS PC -> CAT6 -> Netgear switch -> FMC -> fiber optic cable -> FMC -> CAT6 -> microRendu -> Curious USB cable (0,2m) -> Mutec MC-3+ USB -> DH Labs AES/EBU -> Devialet.

RE: Sonore Streamers - octaviars - 09-May-2016

(09-May-2016, 15:44)Antoine Wrote:
(09-May-2016, 14:13)octaviars Wrote: I suppose you are going to try the Mutec together with the microRendu?

Absolutely, AIR WiFi/ethernet and USB are all disabled in my Devialet. Smile I might try the microRendu one day directly connected to Devialet's USB input though but it has no priority and I don't expect it to be better.

Even if the microRendu doesn't sound better than my current solution but at least as good I'll keep it and remove the PC/HD Plex PSU etc. from the system. It'll then be:

Upstairs (office) DIY NAS PC -> CAT6 -> Netgear switch -> FMC -> fiber optic cable -> FMC -> CAT6 -> microRendu -> Curious USB cable (0,2m) -> Mutec MC-3+ USB -> DH Labs AES/EBU -> Devialet.

Maybe a stupid question but does the Mutec work without a driver installed on the USB for say a microRendu? Thougt I saw someone write that it needs a driver on the computer it is connected to but I might be wrong. 

What DC volt is it inside the Mutec? I have seen both 6 and 6,3V. I was thinking of geting a PSU with dual rails one for microRendu and one spare to use with perhaps a Mutec if that is a good solution.

RE: Sonore Streamers - Borgen - 09-May-2016

Picked up the new gadget at my local post office in Oslo. Setup was trivial, started burning it in, expect to keep it running over some days before I give it some serious listening.

RE: Sonore Streamers - GuillaumeB - 09-May-2016

(09-May-2016, 20:06)Borgen Wrote: Picked up the new gadget at my local post office in Oslo. Setup was trivial, started burning it in, expect to keep it running over some days before I give it some serious listening.

Nice!  

We all look forward to hearing your detailed impressions.  Wink

Guillaume

RE: Sonore Streamers - Hifi_swlon - 10-May-2016

Any sign of your sonicTransporter Guillaume?

RE: Sonore Streamers - GuillaumeB - 10-May-2016

(10-May-2016, 08:42)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Any sign of your sonicTransporter Guillaume?

Very good point, I had to chase it yesterday. Finally got shipping notification last night. 

Will of course report back with all the details.  Smile

Guillaume