Devialet Chat
Sonore Streamers - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: Sonore Streamers (/Thread-Sonore-Streamers)

RE: Sonore Streamers - Hifi_swlon - 01-Jun-2016

I do think the Devialet USB is a bit weird.

When I used Audirvana it used to get tripped up quite badly when the input got changed on the D, and sometimes have to be restarted.

With Roon, even direct from the the Mac, Roon can carry on playing to the device even though its gone into standby, yet as soon as you bring it out of standby, playback gets disconnected. And then reconnected. The reconnect code I'm pretty sure is Roon's doing. Its like Devialet doesn't tell things its going off line properly. Same happens with the rendu. This is just my subjective experience, I know nothing about USB protocols/handshakes.

I believe Roon do have some Devialet gear now, so maybe once manufacturers start reporting issues directly, it will be harder for them to ignore and there might be fixes....

RE: Sonore Streamers - ogs - 01-Jun-2016

(01-Jun-2016, 08:20)Hifi_swlon Wrote: I do think the Devialet USB is a bit weird.

When I used Audirvana it used to get tripped up quite badly when the input got changed on the D, and sometimes have to be restarted.

With Roon, even direct from the the Mac, Roon can carry on playing to the device even though its gone into standby, yet as soon as you bring it out of standby, playback gets disconnected.  And then reconnected.  The reconnect code I'm pretty sure is Roon's doing. Its like Devialet doesn't tell things its going off line properly.  Same happens with the rendu. This is just my subjective experience, I know nothing about USB protocols/handshakes.

I believe Roon do have some Devialet gear now, so maybe once manufacturers start reporting issues directly, it will be harder for them to ignore and there might be fixes....

Yes, but the strange thing is that I have used the Devialet USB with many OS'es and all the available options in Configurator + input change; sound via USB always resume as it should. That is why I believe this is something Sonore will have to fix on the mR even if the cause is Devialet's implementation of USB

RE: Sonore Streamers - octaviars - 01-Jun-2016

My microRendu with DLNA and Bubble upnp app pauses the play when my Devialet goes in to standby or I turn it off completely, I just have to hit play and it starts to play were it left of.

RE: Sonore Streamers - ogs - 01-Jun-2016

(01-Jun-2016, 11:10)octaviars Wrote: My microRendu with DLNA and Bubble upnp app pauses the play when my Devialet goes in to standby. I just have to hit play and it continius to play were it left of.

I had this exact behaviour with both Jriver DLNA on Windows (using Bubble+upmpdcli+MPD) and LMS/Squeezelite (Linux) on my earlier installations. With microRendu the sound stops when I use squeezelite-mode.  The patch that fixes this on the microRendu has not been released yet (says Jesus in a mail just now).

RE: Sonore Streamers - AllenB - 01-Jun-2016

This first started happening when I was using HQ Player via NAA on a MacMini, and again with a RPi2. I am waiting delivery of a µRendu, but it seems the same happens with this unit. The common denominator seems to be Devialet USB and how that is handled either when inputs are switched, or if the Dev goes into stand-by mode. Life is too short to try and work through all the possible permutations, but the issue does seem to point at Devialet implementation of the USB input. I do wonder if this input should be kept 'live' when the Dev is standing by, it apparently goes dead. Units that work via Linux do not seem to be able to deal with this.

Roon must do something clever, or perhaps as simple as polling the connection, so it will 're-make' even after the Dev's input has been switched or it has come out of stand by.

Presumably, Dev could resolve this with a firmware fix, but I just feel the issue would fall on deaf ears. I think, perhaps rightly, Sonore & HQP and to a certain extent Roon, all point a finger at Devialet to sort out the USB implementation.

Sonore's advice is to not use stand-by mode, but I am not to keen to have the Dev running 24/7, or do others feel this is not a problem?

RE: Sonore Streamers - ogs - 02-Jun-2016

(01-Jun-2016, 13:23)AllenB Wrote: This first started happening when I was using HQ Player via NAA on a MacMini, and again with a RPi2. I am waiting delivery of a µRendu, but it seems the same happens with this unit. The common denominator seems to be Devialet USB and how that is handled either when inputs are switched, or if the Dev goes into stand-by mode. Life is too short to try and work through all the possible permutations, but the issue does seem to point at Devialet implementation of the USB input. I do wonder if this input should be kept 'live' when the Dev is standing by, it apparently goes dead. Units that work via Linux do not seem to be able to deal with this.

Roon must do something clever, or perhaps as simple as polling the connection, so it will 're-make' even after the Dev's input has been switched or it has come out of stand by.

Presumably, Dev could resolve this with a firmware fix, but I just feel the issue would fall on deaf ears. I think, perhaps rightly, Sonore & HQP and to a certain extent Roon, all point a finger at Devialet to sort out the USB implementation.

Sonore's advice is to not use stand-by mode, but I am not to keen to have the Dev running 24/7, or do others feel this is not a problem?

I have used my D-Premier, now a 250, running 24/7 since I purchased it in 2012. I installed 9.0.1 in April and have tried sleep and stand-by, but decided to keep the amp on all the time for best sound (apart from when I travel of course). Note that I have the amp wall mounted. I think this helps with cooling.

RE: Sonore Streamers - AllenB - 02-Jun-2016

(02-Jun-2016, 14:22)ogs Wrote:
(01-Jun-2016, 13:23)AllenB Wrote: This first started happening when I was using HQ Player via NAA on a MacMini, and again with a RPi2. I am waiting delivery of a µRendu, but it seems the same happens with this unit. The common denominator seems to be Devialet USB and how that is handled either when inputs are switched, or if the Dev goes into stand-by mode. Life is too short to try and work through all the possible permutations, but the issue does seem to point at Devialet implementation of the USB input. I do wonder if this input should be kept 'live' when the Dev is standing by, it apparently goes dead. Units that work via Linux do not seem to be able to deal with this.

I have used my D-Premier, now a 250, running 24/7 since I purchased it in 2012. I installed 9.0.1 in April and have tried sleep and stand-by, but decided to keep the amp on all the time for best sound (apart from when I travel of course). Note that I have the amp wall mounted. I think this helps with cooling.

Thanks ogs, that's very re-assuring. I came from Naim where it was the recommendation to keep everything switched on 24/7. As we all know the Devs run fairly warm, but i guess it would do no harm to keep it on all the time.

RE: Sonore Streamers - Confused - 07-Jun-2016

Just to announce that I have ordered a microRendu - one of the 'late June' batch. This one is a VERY long story, but it is fair to say I became a little jaded in my search for the best quality source for a Devialet. Well, in fact I actually found the ultimate source for a Devialet, in the shape of the dCS Vivaldi Upsampler + Vivaldi master clock. The dCS is utterly superb. Plus, not only does it offer top class SQ, but it also has the flexibility that products like the Melco and Aurender lack. The latest version will have Roon, it has Airrplay, you can shove a USB stick in the back and it will play, you could run it from your TV, more or less anything you want. For me it ticks every box. It does however have a list price of £24,000. Curiously, it is the epic performance of the dCS that put me off other streamers. Go with a Melco or Aurender and you do need to sacrifice some functionality, such as using the Conductor app only, no possibility of using Roon, and so on. This was a sacrifice I was prepared to take for a decent hike in SQ. The thing is though, after hearing the dCS, I kind of concluded that AIR, Melco's, Aurenders etc, actually have similar (although not identical) levels of performance, the dCS is a division up. Is it worth spending £24k as a source for an £18k amp? Maybe it is! Depends if you have £24k, depends what else you can think of doing with £24k and depends on exactly what value you put on sound quality. To put this into perspective, I could divert £24,000 of my salary into my pension, saving higher rate tax, this would generate enough cash for me to easily retire one year earlier, and spend that year actually listening to my hifi ! Tempting though the dCS is, it's a lot of dosh!!

Anyway, with all this, I decided that the microRendu was an itch I just have to scratch. I haven't given up on the idea of a nice music server, or maybe even a dCS one day, but I have concluded that now is not the best time to spend big bucks on a streamer. What will be on the market this time next year? New products with Roon, some killer new device, who knows. Plus, how might the rumoured new Devialet streamer board sound like? Maybe this will be the killer product? (although I have my doubts, and it may not even exist, or it might be subject to feverish delays, who knows....)

So as a kind of distraction for now, the microRendu is ordered, once this delivered and up and running, I think I will try a Mutec MC3+USB, which fortunately has a 30 day return policy if I happen to hate it. Will this lead me to audio nirvana? Probably not! But you never know.......

It also occurs to me that if I like the Mutec, and I have found I do have some kind of preference to anything connected to a Devialet via AES, then this could be used with Melco's, CAD CATS, and many other things. The microRendu will serve as a useful point of reference though.

I look forward to joining the club! (sometime in late July I'm guessing)

Sonore Streamers - nicoludio - 07-Jun-2016

Have you considered using the SonicTransporter as a Roonserver to use with the microRendu?

http://microjukebox.com/products/sonictransporter?variant=18167614724

With a 2TB SSD, its just US$1,099. Runs RoonServer and MinimServer.

RE: Sonore Streamers - Beajuju - 07-Jun-2016

I have an Aurender N100H. I like the analog side. When I heard Leonard Cohen's voice, it seems Leonard is in my living room. In counterpart, I like also Air 3. More air between musicians, better soundstage but lack midrange and bass of my Aurender. So, the question: Does the Micro rendu is the best of both worlds? At the same time, I can't imagine a 700$ kit can beat a streamer of 3500$. Am I right? In search of a better sound Smile