Devialet Chat
Sonore Streamers - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: Sonore Streamers (/Thread-Sonore-Streamers)

RE: Sonore Streamers - Confused - 13-Jul-2016

Here are some highlights from Paul Hynes. Some stuff is skipped, very specific to my TT etc., but the SR3 looks like a bit of a bargain if you are just after a decent mR PSU.... Then spend some more, and thing get even better.....

I usually sell the SR3-7 single rail supply for the microRendu but in view of your requirement for the best performance for the microRendu, plus the option of additional rails for your other equipment, I would be more inclined to recommend the SR5MR2 or the SR7MR3 as both of these supplies have space for the additional rails and offer a higher level of performance. The regulator rails are also galvanically isolated, so there will be no ground return current earth loops causing intermodulation distortions that result from having multiple regulator rails driven from the same master supply with a common ground point.

The SR3, SR5 and SR7 power supplies all use the same ultra low noise, high speed, wide operating bandwidth, discrete component regulator circuit topology.

Typical specifications are:-

The error amplifier devices have a noise spec of 0.5 nanovolts root Hz and the low noise voltage reference is noise filtered to reduce its noise contribution to the regulator output.

The operating bandwidth of the regulator circuitry exceeds 300MHz.

The output impedance of the regulator circuitry is less than 3 milliohms from DC to 100 KHz.

Power supply line rejection is greater than 80 dB from DC to 100 KHz

Transient response and settling time is less than 100 nanoseconds for load current changes.

The SR3 is now my entry level power supply and this uses the best of the off the shelf 50VA mains transformers available in the UK, with Schottky barrier rectification to avoid diode switching reverse recovery transients and low ESR energy storage capacitance. The small physical size of this power supply restricts the power rating and limits how much energy storage capacitance can be fitted.

The SR5 uses a 160VA mains transformer custom built to my specifications on an over sized core and wound to avoid core saturation in use and run quietly, both electrically and mechanically. These are usually problems with off the shelf or poorly designed transformers that have their cost cut to the bone to remain financially competitive. Higher power ratings are possible in the SR5 format as there is more space and an additional heat sink can be fitted to the chassis. SR5 can be configured to provide up to 2 galvanically isolated supply rails with one high power rail up to 6A and one low power rail up to 3A or two 3A rails.

The SR7 uses my custom designed mains transformers with ratings from 250VA to 400VA depending on the number of rails and power requirements of the equipment to be powered. The SR7 can be configured to provide up to 4 galvanically isolated supply rails with one high power rail up to 10A and 3low power rails up to 3A, or four 3A rails.

The cost of the power supplies :-

SR3-07v5 for the microRendu - £300
SR5MR2-07v5/09v with 3A ratings for the MicroRendu and the Ethernet switch - £700
SR7MR3-07v5/09v/15v with 3A ratings for the MicroRendu, the Ethernet switch and the Project turntable - £950

The 1 metre DC3C annealed copper with Teflon insulation 3A DC lead costs £50 each. An alternative upgrade is the 1 metre DC3FS annealed fine silver with Teflon insulation 3A DC lead, which costs £85 each. Power supply internal wiring from regulator module output to the chassis DC socket can also be fine silver and this would cost £10 for the SR3, £30 in total for the two rails in the SR5 and £60 in total for the three rails in the SR7.

RE: Sonore Streamers - baconbrain - 14-Jul-2016

Sorry but I have to give credit where credit is due ...

Regardless of the small issues I am having with the Microrendu and HQplayer, I really have to say that the MR is absolutely fantastic! Smile

There are only a few occasions for me where an audio component makes a really jaw dropping impression and I must admit that the MR is one of them.

It has truly turned out to be the missing piece of my audio system puzzle and is worth every penny. (and then some...)

Please keep up the good work Sonore!

RE: Sonore Streamers - Confused - 14-Jul-2016

(14-Jul-2016, 19:44)baconbrain Wrote: Sorry but I have to give credit where credit is due ...

Regardless of the small issues I am having with the Microrendu and HQplayer, I really have to say that the MR is absolutely fantastic! Smile

There are only a few occasions for me where an audio component makes a really jaw dropping impression and I must admit that the MR is one of them.

It has truly turned out to be the missing piece of my audio system puzzle and is worth every penny. (and then some...)

Please keep up the good work Sonore!
Looking at your signature it appears you are running the mR to Mutec to Devialet?  Any observations regarding mR to Dev vs mr to Mutec to Dev?  I'm particularly interested because I ordered a Mutec today, but a bit apprehensive as to if I'll be happy with it or not.   Huh

RE: Sonore Streamers - baconbrain - 14-Jul-2016

(14-Jul-2016, 19:55)Confused Wrote: Looking at your signature it appears you are running the mR to Mutec to Devialet?  Any observations regarding mR to Dev vs mr to Mutec to Dev?  I'm particularly interested because I ordered a Mutec today, but a bit apprehensive as to if I'll be happy with it or not.   Huh

I owned the Mutec prior to the mR and was impressed, but it did not put a big grin on my face. The numerous additional possibilities for transfering the signal from USB to AES, Coax, etc. into the D250 were welcome but the SQ improvements were, with my system, moderate.

Together with Roon and the HQplayer things with the Mutec started to get more interesting. Really surprising was the gain in SQ I realized after purchasing an Atlas BNC to Coax cable feeding the Dev from the Mutec.

But the mR was definately the icing on the cake. Together with the Mutec and HQplayer, everything just opened up. More detail, a bigger sound stage, and more ... emotion. (and a big grin on the mug)  Big Grin

RE: Sonore Streamers - Hifi_swlon - 15-Jul-2016

(13-Jul-2016, 10:31)Confused Wrote: SR3-07v5 for the microRendu - £300
SR5MR2-07v5/09v with 3A ratings for the MicroRendu and the Ethernet switch - £700
SR7MR3-07v5/09v/15v with 3A ratings for the MicroRendu, the Ethernet switch and the Project turntable - £950

Bugger, now I'm tempted again! Dodgy

I was kind of waiting for the Uptone thingy, but that could be a while. Also it means having a crappy supply powering the supply and that just sounds stupid.

Hopefully Antoine will post some thoughts on his new supply soon, but as it replaces 4 things, it might not be a fair comparison. Obviously it would be lovely if someone could compare the ifi vs the SR5.

One rail would do me but the sr5 sounds quite a bit better (he seems a lot more enthusiastic about it) and would like to try ethernet optical isolation (if I can ever work out exactly what to get) and then I could use it for both.

But same dilemma. £700 for a PS on a £500 device? Some say it makes a huge difference. Even the over enthusiastic Chrus Connaker said it was subtle (but still desirable). It's also probably one thing I really wouldn't want to be stuck with if it didn't make a big difference. A few USB cables and what not are ok, they'll always be useful for something, but a specific, chunky LPS......

I guess I'll wait for your move Confused.

RE: Sonore Streamers - Hifi_swlon - 15-Jul-2016

Did he say (or do you know) how easy it is to have adjustable voltages, and whether there's a downside?

(Damn, didn't mean to do new post, bloody iPad)

Good new on the Mutec - that snuck in under the radar. Looking forward to getting your impressions....

RE: Sonore Streamers - mdconnelly - 15-Jul-2016

My take on the uRendu and iFi PS s that it took me from an unstable AIR solution to something that is totally stable and sounds as good and, imho, even better than AIR (2.13 for Win).   For the stability alone, it was worth every penny.   Yes, I was a quite a bit perturbed by Devialet's lack of response and resolution on that front, but that's water under the bridge.   Think "Serenity Prayer" and you'll understand where I'm coming from...

[Image: 51d4Sn774YL._AC_US160_.jpg]

If a better PS for the uRendu will bump up SQ even further... well, I'd like to hear that but feel far less compelled to throw significant money toward it until the competition and comparisons settle.   Right now, I'm just a very happy Roon-uRendu-Devialet user and that's worth a lot.

RE: Sonore Streamers - Confused - 20-Jul-2016

I received my Mutec last night. Set the thing up with the microRendu, and tried a few tracks. First impressions were positive, but to be honest I was not in the mood for critical listening. I will report in detail at the weekend.

I did have one problem though. The microRendu was connected to the Mutec for about one hour. Now I had read elsewhere that the microRendu can get hot connected to a Mutec, in particular with the iFi 9v supply. This is a case of the microRendu having voltage regulator for the USB power, which can run hot. OK, it was a very hot day in the UK yesterday, but when I checked the poor little mR it was staggeringly hot. Just about cool enough that you could touch it and keep your hand on it, but only just. Connected direct to the Devialet it was reasonably cool. This baffles me a bit! Why does the Mutec, which is mains powered, draw any significant current from the USB? Very strange. I suppose the obvious cure is to but a decent 7v power supply, which is on my 'to do' list, assuming I decide I'm happy with the sound of the Mutec / mR combo. I also wonder if you could use a USB cable without the 5v power line, or is this needed with the Mutec? In the short term I'll be looking for some makeshift cooling methods for the mR, I wonder if I have any old heat sink substitutes in my garage junk zone?

RE: Sonore Streamers - Antoine - 20-Jul-2016

Nothing strange about it.

Check John Swensons comments on CA: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonore-microrendu-27389/index12.html#post515586

Everything above 5V x current flow equals the redundant wattage converted to heat (it's more complicated than this BTW but just for illustration) and of course the device itself produces heat too for example in it's CPU. Someone on CA measured power usage and the Mutec plugged in uses approximately 2W but he also talked about a current draw of 0,35A @ 5V which would mean 1.75W. The Mutec uses the USB bus power besides it internal SMPS for extra power domain isolation.

I've used a Intel CPU cooler (fins only, not the fan) for extra cooling before I got the PH PSU which now feeds 7V to the mR. Actually the cooler is still on it, it's out of sight here, and it won't hurt. Of course whatever heat sink you put on it, ventilation is still needed to let the air convection cooling principle to do its work.

RE: Sonore Streamers - Hifi_swlon - 20-Jul-2016

(20-Jul-2016, 18:41)Antoine Wrote: Nothing strange about it.

I read Confused's post as strange that the Mutec draws any power from the incoming USB, rather than strange the rendu gets hot?

I have to say I'm intrigued. I was under the impression that high-end USB devices would assume the worst of the USB power quality, and generate their own - except in maybe battery powered kit? Bearing in mind what the Mutec does I would have thought it definitely would ignore the USB bus. Once again I'm probably missing something as the general consensus is it's good.

PS looking forward to hearing how you're getting on with the new Paul Hynes Antoine. And Confusedseses 'Mutec critical listening report'.