Devialet Chat
Sonore Streamers - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: Sonore Streamers (/Thread-Sonore-Streamers)

RE: Sonore Streamers - baconbrain - 21-Jul-2016

(20-Jul-2016, 17:44)Confused Wrote: In the short term I'll be looking for some makeshift cooling methods for the mR, I wonder if I have any old heat sink substitutes in my garage junk zone?

I set the record weight my from turntable on top of it. It has a bronze core, which may not have the thermal conductivity of a metal like copper, but still does a decent job of dissipating the heat. It also gives it a HiFi touch. Smile

RE: Sonore Streamers - Confused - 21-Jul-2016

(21-Jul-2016, 12:02)baconbrain Wrote:
(20-Jul-2016, 17:44)Confused Wrote: In the short term I'll be looking for some makeshift cooling methods for the mR, I wonder if I have any old heat sink substitutes in my garage junk zone?

I set the record weight my from turntable on top of it. It has a bronze core, which may not have the thermal conductivity of a metal like copper, but still does a decent job of dissipating the heat. It also gives it a HiFi touch. Smile

As it happens I have a very substantial turntable 'puck'.  I'll give it a try, I suspect it will either act as a useful heat sink, or maybe simply crush the tiny little mR. Sad

RE: Sonore Streamers - baconbrain - 21-Jul-2016

(21-Jul-2016, 12:42)Confused Wrote: As it happens I have a very substantial turntable 'puck'.  I'll give it a try, I suspect it will either act as a useful heat sink, or maybe simply crush the tiny little mR. Sad

'Puck', that was the word I was looking for!  Tongue

Mine weighs in at 640g and the mR is still alive and kicking. Btw, I am also using the 9v iPower PS for the mR.

RE: Sonore Streamers - Antoine - 21-Jul-2016

(20-Jul-2016, 23:27)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(20-Jul-2016, 18:41)Antoine Wrote: Nothing strange about it.

I read Confused's post as strange that the Mutec draws any power from the incoming USB, rather than strange the rendu gets hot?

I have to say I'm intrigued. I was under the impression that high-end USB devices would assume the worst of the USB power quality, and generate their own - except in maybe battery powered kit? Bearing in mind what the Mutec does I would have thought it definitely would ignore the USB bus. Once again I'm probably missing something as the general consensus is it's good.

PS looking forward to hearing how you're getting on with the new Paul Hynes Antoine. And Confusedseses 'Mutec critical listening report'.

The Mutec powers the USB input board with power from the USB bus. This board is galvanically isolated from the rest of the device which is powered by the internal SMPS supply. If I remember and have understood correctly this is done to create additional isolation between different power domains as different supplies and ground planes are used. I could imagine them using a separate power supply internally to achieve the same effect though perhaps their approach better separates the grounds. Signal ground in the Mutec is connected to protective earth so when one would use a computer powered by a different AC group you'd have full isolation.

Of course when we use a microRendu we're feeding the USB input of the Mutec clean and regulated power thanks to the "Regen v2" inside it especially when we use a high quality PSU to power the mR. Before selling it I did try my Intona USB Isolator in front of the Mutec (after sending it back to Germany for a firmware update) but I couldn't recognize any difference in SQ in this setup so at least for me and in my system it seems this isolation scheme works pretty well.

You're absolutely right, I still haven't shared any listening impressions of the Paul Hynes PSU yet. They'll come but since connecting it last week I've suffered "burn-in woes" (there's new regulator modules inside it) with the system clearly sounding different each day, at first bass was overwhelming, day later bass subsided to more normal levels but highs were a bit brittle so I'm giving it (or my brain Wink) time to settle. Since it's a power supply it's easy to burn in 24/7 by just leaving it (and the devices it powers) powered up.

This week I also haven't had time to listen to my system and when I could have I preferred running my airco since it's been 30+ degrees here in NL. Smile Overal though there surely are very positive changes I've already heard however I think the microRendu itself will be this years winner for me. This weekend I'll probably "check" again.

Thanks for the explanation Antoine! I must admit to being a bit baffled as to why the Mutec was drawing USB current, but reading your post I can now see the logic in this approach. As for burn in woes, I think I almost fried the poor little microRendu on Tuesday, plus it's had quite a few listening hours on it now. I note Mutec state that their kit does not require burn in time, I guess the 'pro audio' market target customers are less prone to worrying about this stuff!

(21-Jul-2016, 14:22)baconbrain Wrote:
(21-Jul-2016, 12:42)Confused Wrote: As it happens I have a very substantial turntable 'puck'.  I'll give it a try, I suspect it will either act as a useful heat sink, or maybe simply crush the tiny little mR. Sad

'Puck', that was the word I was looking for!  Tongue

Mine weighs in at 640g and the mR is still alive and kicking. Btw, I am also using the 9v iPower PS for the mR.
I fancied a 'puck off', so off to the kitchen scales, mine weighs in at a puny 403g.   Angry   You win baconbrain!  It also has a nice soft felt covering on the base, so not exactly the optimum design for heat transfer either. Sad

RE: Sonore Streamers - asiano - 31-Jul-2016

I just got a Devialet 200 and am running Roon with a Sonicorbiter SE. When I run the RoonReady app, I can stream to the Devialet, but playback stops every time a track with new resolution tries to start. To remedy the situation, I need to add that same track again and hit skip and it will play fine - somewhat of a hassle. Is this a known issue? Any workarounds?

I also tried the Sonicorbiter SE with the Devialet using the HQPlayer app. I set HQPlayer to convert all tracks to DSD. In that scenario, it plays all of my tracks without issue. However, the volume is much lower. PCM tracks that I previously played at -15 dBs, now need to be boosted to -5 dBs to get the same output level. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a setting I can change to adjust for this volume drop?

RE: Sonore Streamers - Hifi_swlon - 31-Jul-2016

(31-Jul-2016, 14:49)asiano Wrote: I just got a Devialet 200 and am running Roon with a Sonicorbiter SE.  When I run the RoonReady app, I can stream to the Devialet, but playback stops every time a track with new resolution tries to start.  To remedy the situation, I need to add that same track again and hit skip and it will play fine - somewhat of a hassle.  Is this a known issue?  Any workarounds?

I also tried the Sonicorbiter SE with the Devialet using the HQPlayer app.  I set HQPlayer to convert all tracks to DSD.  In that scenario, it plays all of my tracks without issue.  However, the volume is much lower.  PCM tracks that I previously played at -15 dBs, now need to be boosted to -5 dBs to get the same output level.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Is there a setting I can change to adjust for this volume drop?

Using rendu rather than SE but never had any issue with changing sample rates. Sonore seem fairly active on Roons forum, in the Sonore area. Also CA obviously. I'm sure they'll sort you out. Is all your firmware and Roons up to date?

Upsample to DSD has to have a reduction in levels to prevent clipping AFAIK. 10db seems a lot though. There is definitely a setting in HQP for it. What values in there?

RE: Sonore Streamers - asiano - 04-Aug-2016

[/quote]

Using rendu rather than SE but never had any issue with changing sample rates. Sonore seem fairly active on Roons forum, in the Sonore area. Also CA obviously. I'm sure they'll sort you out. Is all your firmware and Roons up to date?

Upsample to DSD has to have a reduction in levels to prevent clipping AFAIK. 10db seems a lot though. There is definitely a setting in HQP for it. What values in there?
[/quote]

Do you mind if I ask you for your settings on the rendu and Devialet? Are you using the RoonReady app or HQPlayer app?

RE: Sonore Streamers - Hifi_swlon - 04-Aug-2016

I'm not using HQP now, or AIR, so won't be of much help there. When using HQP you have to have it in HQP NAA mode obviously.

Roon outputs to HQPlayer. HQPlayer outputs to the NAA.