Devialet Chat
Sonore Streamers - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: Sonore Streamers (/Thread-Sonore-Streamers)

RE: Sonore Streamers - Confused - 17-Aug-2016

I have been looking at options for a PSU for the microRendu. At the moment I am thinking that the Paul Hynes SR5MR2 is my best option. This would be configured to power both the mR and the associated Ethernet switch, total cost with cables etc. £800.

I am also tempted to wait a while and see what the reports are for the Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1. (which in Devialetesque style, is 'coming soon'.)

Then I stumbled across this:

https://www.sbooster.com/

Apparently this is Hans Beekhuyzen preferred way of powering the mR. Does anyone know anything about these Sbooster PSU's. The price is reasonable at about £225 in the UK. (so you could buy 3 of these for the price of the Paul Hynes)

Anyone know if these Sbooter PSU's are any good?

RE: Sonore Streamers - Borgen - 17-Aug-2016

I used to have the sbooster with my Squeezebox Touch (with EDO) way back when, but it never gave me any "wow experiences". Maybe the rest of my chain was too weak at that time (it was before Devialet 250). I replaced the sbooster with the MRU LPSU (http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/p...er-supply.html) which I felt did more in my setup.

Personally I am waiting for the Uptone LPS-1.

(17-Aug-2016, 13:28)Borgen Wrote: I used to have the sbooster with my Squeezebox Touch (with EDO) way back when, but it never gave me any "wow experiences". Maybe the rest of my chain was too weak at that time (it was before Devialet 250). I replaced the sbooster with the MRU LPSU (http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/p...er-supply.html) which I felt did more in my setup.

Personally I am waiting for the Uptone LPS-1.

Interesting!  One thing I have just noticed is the Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1 needs a minimum feed of 7.5V/2.5A.  I did think maybe the Sbooster would be OK as a the feed for the LPS-1, but in fact it would not as it is 6V maximum. 

Of course the Paul Hynes SR5MR2 would be just fine for feeding the LPS-1, albeit a rather expensive OTT solution, but a very nice solution nevertheless.

I note the MRU item is 7V, so I am not sure if this would power the LPS-1 or not?  I guess if they could do a 7.5V version this would be quite a neat and cost effective solution.

EDIT: Does anyone know when the Uptone LPS-1 is due for release?

RE: Sonore Streamers - Borgen - 17-Aug-2016

Ref LPS-1, there was an update from Superdad on the CA thread 2 days ago, that the latest pre-production version seems to be ok. Then my understanding is that production versions would be approx. one month out in time.

RE: Sonore Streamers - Hifi_swlon - 17-Aug-2016

We're in the same boat Confused!

Have also been chatting to Paul Hynes about an SR5 two rail (spurred on by Antoines enthusiasm).

I had a previous gen sbooster with the regen and honestly couldn't tell any difference. Then again I could tell any difference with the regen full stop. While researching I've read on some forums the sbooster is very basic with marketing, but then I've found the same for Paul Hynes, Teddy Pardo, and practically everything rise I looked at. Hdplex do a four rail but it just doesn't seem to be useful voltages.

I'm on the verge of trying the Singxer SU-1, but then again it seems the PSu may or may not be good and so the F-1 is easier to power with any LPS.

To what extend the LPS makes a difference, on the rendu or Singxer (or whatever other input gadget) I've no idea. Like you say the Hynes is about 800 or 400 for a lower model, the Singxer a few hundred, plus cables - do decent AES cables make a difference? Could I potentially just end up with exactly what I didn't want - a pile of boxes and psu's and cables and it not sound much different? In which case I'd be better off changing speakers or adding a sub (or getting a pro Wink).

Minefield.

In a way I just sort of wished AIR beta 3 worked for me to make it irrelevant - I'd probably take the convenience over sq. clearly it doesn't like my network for a reason none of us will ever understand and is unlikely to ever be resolved. Maybe it would be cheaper to buy a new switch and host for AIR and cross my fingers. But I doubt it's that simple.

I'm finding it crazy all the hoops required for a decent source with USB. It was out of my budget but Guillaumes comments about total ad and upgrades makes more sense now. But then I always planned to have the source stuff hidden (aka no source but AIR). Perhaps it's time for my own system thread. At this rate it will be a raspberry pi and another Marshall speaker!

Just to add I'm sure I read the power for the LPS-1 can be anything that gives 18w continuous - whatever flavour of V/A (I'm sure there's a minimum V). They also say there's no point having a decent supply since it's irrelevant to what comes out the other end as it's purely charging 'batteries' (although others have suggested at least a cheap linear over SM to save the local pollution on the mains)

(17-Aug-2016, 14:53)Hifi_swlon Wrote: We're in the same boat Confused!

Have also been chatting to Paul Hynes about an SR5 two rail (spurred on by Antoines enthusiasm).

I had a previous gen sbooster with the regen and honestly couldn't tell any difference. Then again I could tell any difference with the regen full stop. While researching I've read on some forums the sbooster is very basic with marketing, but then I've found the same for Paul Hynes, Teddy Pardo, and practically everything rise I looked at. Hdplex do a four rail but it just doesn't seem to be useful voltages.

I'm on the verge of trying the Singxer SU-1, but then again it seems the PSu may or may not be good and so the F-1 is easier to power with any LPS.

To what extend the LPS makes a difference, on the rendu or Singxer (or whatever other input gadget) I've no idea. Like you say the Hynes is about 800 or 400 for a lower model, the Singxer a few hundred, plus cables - do decent AES cables make a difference? Could I potentially just end up with exactly what I didn't want - a pile of boxes and psu's and cables and it not sound much different? In which case I'd be better off changing speakers or adding a sub (or getting a pro Wink).

Minefield.

In a way I just sort of wished AIR beta 3 worked for me to make it irrelevant - I'd probably take the convenience over sq. clearly it doesn't like my network for a reason none of us will ever understand and is unlikely to ever be resolved. Maybe it would be cheaper to buy a new switch and host for AIR and cross my fingers. But I doubt it's that simple.

I'm finding it crazy all the hoops required for a decent source with USB. It was out of my budget but Guillaumes comments about total ad and upgrades makes more sense now. But then I always planned to have the source stuff hidden (aka no source but AIR). Perhaps it's time for my own system thread. At this rate it will be a raspberry pi and another Marshall speaker!

Actually, I think I am in a very different boat!  last weekend I had some decent time for some fun, casual listening.  Quite a few times I was stunned by the performance of the microRendu / Mutec combination.  In general, I was simply enjoying listening to it, very clean but natural and realistic sounding, but every now and again it delivered one of those 'wow' moments.  When searching for streamers earlier this year I found things that I thought sounded great, but functionality was a bit lacking, plus they were quite expensive.  The dCS Vivaldi Upsampler and Clock offered everything, tremendous sound quality and from a functional point of view would do everything I would want and more.  The only slight snag was the £24k list price.  The mR / Mutec gives the functionality I want, and it sounds superb.  How good?  To be honest I am not quite sure, I'd love to put it head to head with an Aurender N10 or even the dCS rig, but it definitely reminds me of the N10, and in a few whacky moments last weekend I could convince myself it was approaching dCS performance.  I will probably never know for sure, after all an Aurender dealer is not likely to allow me to put the mR / mutec head to head with an Aurender, this would be too risky in that the Aurender might not come out on top. (and I might post about this on-line.....)  Plus, to be honest, I would not be that bothered if say the N10 edged ahead with SQ.  I'd still rather have the mR/Mutec, as it produces a sound quality that I enjoy (this I do know now as a fact) and it has great functionality and versatility, it will run happily from my PC / iPad using Roon, JRiver, and even good old iTunes.  So I am happy!  The streamer search can wait until some killer products for both SQ and functionality arrive on the market, which I am sure they will in time.  Meanwhile, mR/Mutec does it for me!

The PSU question in my case is simply adding the icing onto my happy cake!

RE: Sonore Streamers - baconbrain - 17-Aug-2016

Hi Confused,

Speaking of icing on the cake, if you have not yet tried the mR in NAA mode together with HQplayer and Roon, then recommend you give it a shot. It really raised the bar for me.

BB

(17-Aug-2016, 21:19)baconbrain Wrote: Hi Confused,

Speaking of icing on the cake, if you have not yet tried the mR in NAA mode together with HQplayer and Roon, then recommend you give it a shot. It really raised the bar for me.

BB

No I haven't.  Although seeing how Roon and HQplayer integrate has given me the motivation to try.  It's definitely on my 'to do list'.  Unfortunately my to do list is quite long!  I'll get to it eventually for sure. Smile

(By same boat I only meant considering whether a Paul Hynes will be the best PSU option)...