Devialet Chat
Sonore Streamers - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: Sonore Streamers (/Thread-Sonore-Streamers)

RE: Sonore Streamers - Confused - 17-Aug-2016

(17-Aug-2016, 21:47)Hifi_swlon Wrote: (By same boat I only meant considering whether a Paul Hynes will be the best PSU option)...

Ah, I can see that.  I guess I was referring to HMS USB crazy hoops.  But yes, this PSU business is a dilemma.  The thing is, part of me is thinking I might as well stick with the iFi. Will an £800 PSU really make any difference?  I know a lot of folk worry about mains noise etc., but with the system on pause it is completely 100% silent.  Maybe a PSU will deliver better SQ, I'm just struggling to rationalise it.

RE: Sonore Streamers - Hifi_swlon - 17-Aug-2016

Paul is certain it will. He's never had one back after the 45 day (or whatever it is) trial period apparently.

You probably can't say as I guess you never used the Mutec directly, but I wonder what's having most influence in the sound you like - the Mutec or the rendu (or the ifi). Did you ever have the 'wow' moments with your previous setup, or is this a completely new phenomenon?

Hard to know what to try first for biggest bang for my buck - a new PSU for the rendu, or a USB>AES/Ebu.

Sonore Streamers - LBameule - 18-Aug-2016

(17-Aug-2016, 21:19)baconbrain Wrote: Hi Confused,

Speaking of icing on the cake, if you have not yet tried the mR in NAA mode together with HQplayer and Roon, then recommend you give it a shot. It really raised the bar for me.

BB

+5!!!

L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MBPro 2008 > Dev 120 > KEF LS50. Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina.

RE: Sonore Streamers - Confused - 18-Aug-2016

(17-Aug-2016, 23:09)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Paul is certain it will.  He's never had one back after the 45 day (or whatever it is) trial period apparently.

You probably can't say as I guess you never used the Mutec directly, but I wonder what's having most influence in the sound you like - the Mutec or the rendu (or the ifi). Did you ever have the 'wow' moments with your previous setup, or is this a completely new phenomenon?

Hard to know what to try first for biggest bang for my buck - a new PSU for the rendu, or a USB>AES/Ebu.

One thing is for certain, I will be interested to see what difference a PSU will make, currently this is an unknown for me.  Although I did spend a happy evening reading through all the mR / PSU stuff on Computer Audiophile, and there was not a single post that said something like 'I replaced the iFi power supply for PSU XX and the results were stunning', not one.  It was all subtle stuff at best, and some negatives for people switching away from the iFi.  As for my experience, I was actually a little disappointed with the mR on it's own, many aspects were good, but the bass issues were significant enough that it was probably a case that I would prefer music with thunderous bass via AIR, and other music with the mR.  Add in the Mutec, the bass issue was gone, in fact replaced with the most accurate and defined bass my system has ever produced, and all the other positive aspects of the mR were retained and enhanced.  It is worth noting that previously I found the Melco N1Z to be quite stunning in some areas, quite exceptional, but even the mighty N1Z suffered some of the bass issues I noticed with the mR, so I am guessing this is more to do with Devialet USB implementation than the mR or N1Z. 

So my conclusion is that going AES/EBU is the best bang for the buck.  Lets put it this way, the Paul Hynes option I am looking at is much the same cost as a Mutec MC3+USB.  If I was offered a swap, the PSU for the Mutec, I would not swap, not a chance!

As for using the Mutec directly, I had actually thought of trying it with some other kit, for example I have a CD player & Blu Ray player I could run through the Mutec.  The Blu Ray player might be interesting actually, because you can plug in a USB stick and it will act as a music server.  It is not a particularly expensive player either, so this might give an interesting indication of what the Mutec can do and what the mR brings to the party.

As for your dilemma with the Singxer.  I would guess that it would produce an improvement with the mR, if only for moving away from USB.  As good as the Mutec?  Hard to say, but what is clear is that there are now lots of reports that the Mutec works well, and very importantly, it works well with a Devialet.  So although the Mutec is a little more cash, I see it as the low risk option in this case.

RE: Sonore Streamers - Hifi_swlon - 18-Aug-2016

(18-Aug-2016, 09:34)Confused Wrote: So my conclusion is that going AES/EBU is the best bang for the buck.  Lets put it this way, the Paul Hynes option I am looking at is much the same cost as a Mutec MC3+USB.  If I was offered a swap, the PSU for the Mutec, I would not swap, not a chance!

As for your dilemma with the Singxer.  I would guess that it would produce an improvement with the mR, if only for moving away from USB.  As good as the Mutec?  Hard to say, but what is clear is that there are now lots of reports that the Mutec works well, and very importantly, it works well with a Devialet.  So although the Mutec is a little more cash, I see it as the low risk option in this case.

I have to say I re-read the 'PSU observations' thread again and have to agree. Many people seem to think a battery has better results than some of the high-end (expensive) LPS's.

I've also come to the same conclusion re the AES being best bang for buck - not least since you're using the ifi and seem be happy! Many on the thread about xmos convertors are also using various ifi's, and there's plenty of discussion here about the USB input being a weak link on the D (which is a shame). So it seems the better place to start. Above that, an LPS isn't exactly an exciting purchase, and the lead time is long.

I'm placing my order now in fact having spoken to Thomann and Shenzhen Audio yesterday. Whether it's for a Mutec or Singxer I'll save until it's plugged in....

Oh yes, you asked about 'wow' moments. Well, I have had many 'wow' moments over the years. Going from AIR to the mR resulted in a very pleasant & enjoyable listening experience, but no 'wow' moments. Adding the Mutec with latest v1.10 firmware, many 'wow' moments were delivered, which I have not had at home for a while. Away from home, the most recent 'wow' moment was listening to the 1000 Pro, fed via Aurender N10. 'Wow' moments before this were also delivered by the Melco N1Z, Aurender N10/W20 & dCS rig. It's been a busy year!

RE: Sonore Streamers - Zappydev - 18-Aug-2016

(18-Aug-2016, 13:42)Confused Wrote: Oh yes, you asked about 'wow' moments.  Well, I have had many 'wow' moments over the years.  Going from AIR to the mR resulted in a very pleasant & enjoyable listening experience, but no 'wow' moments.  Adding the Mutec with latest v1.10 firmware, many 'wow' moments were delivered, which I have not had at home for a while.  Away from home, the most recent 'wow' moment was listening to the 1000 Pro, fed via Aurender N10.  'Wow' moments before this were also delivered by the Melco N1Z, Aurender N10/W20 & dCS rig.  It's been a busy year!

Hello Confused

Taking this post in isolation, this clearly seems to set AIR behind all of the other sources or inputs that you have mentioned. Is that a fair assessment (in your opinion) ? I know you have posted extensively about various combinations that you have tried or heard, but a few folk have suggested that AIR 3 is pretty close to everything else you mention apart from the dCS, so I am trying to get a feeling for the pecking order based on someone who has had the chance to make multiple comparisons.

Z

(18-Aug-2016, 14:14)Zappydev Wrote:
(18-Aug-2016, 13:42)Confused Wrote: Oh yes, you asked about 'wow' moments.  Well, I have had many 'wow' moments over the years.  Going from AIR to the mR resulted in a very pleasant & enjoyable listening experience, but no 'wow' moments.  Adding the Mutec with latest v1.10 firmware, many 'wow' moments were delivered, which I have not had at home for a while.  Away from home, the most recent 'wow' moment was listening to the 1000 Pro, fed via Aurender N10.  'Wow' moments before this were also delivered by the Melco N1Z, Aurender N10/W20 & dCS rig.  It's been a busy year!

Hello Confused

Taking this post in isolation, this clearly seems to set AIR behind all of the other sources or inputs that you have mentioned. Is that a fair assessment (in your opinion) ? I know you have posted extensively about various combinations that you have tried or heard, but a few folk have suggested that AIR 3 is pretty close to everything else you mention apart from the dCS, so I am trying to get a feeling for the pecking order based on someone who has had the chance to make multiple comparisons.

Z
The short answer is yes.  To be honest, I have always found Windows AIR to sound very good.  Plus in terms of functionality it is superb, after all, it will run with anything that will run on a Windows PC.  Taking the Melco's, Aurender's etc., I preferred the N10 and W20, I think it is a case of a preference for anything that feeds via AES/EBU.  It is perhaps worth mentioning that the combination of the Aurender N10 with the 1000 Pro was sensational.  But they all offer pretty poor functionality (depending on what you want), so taking price, usability and sound quality into account, I did not think the sacrifice of usability with the Aurenders and Melco's was worth the gain in sound quality, then you have the cost on top!

The mR / Melco combo edges ahead of AIR for SQ, and has terrific functionality.  It's perhaps worth mentioning the mR / Mutec has also been 100% stable and glitch free.   Now my Mutec has settled in a bit and is running it's latest 1.10 firmware, I might try another Mutec / AIR back to back.  In fact I have noticed a SAM related reason for trying this, more at the weekend if I get the time!

RE: Sonore Streamers - Zappydev - 18-Aug-2016

(18-Aug-2016, 14:51)Confused Wrote:
(18-Aug-2016, 14:14)Zappydev Wrote:

Hello Confused

Z
The short answer is yes.  To be honest, I have always found Windows AIR to sound very good.  Plus in terms of functionality it is superb, after all, it will run with anything that will run on a Windows PC.  Taking the Melco's, Aurender's etc., I preferred the N10 and W20, I think it is a case of a preference for anything that feeds via AES/EBU.  It is perhaps worth mentioning that the combination of the Aurender N10 with the 1000 Pro was sensational.  But they all offer pretty poor functionality (depending on what you want), so taking price, usability and sound quality into account, I did not think the sacrifice of usability with the Aurenders and Melco's was worth the gain in sound quality, then you have the cost on top!

The mR / Melco combo edges ahead of AIR for SQ, and has terrific functionality.  It's perhaps worth mentioning the mR / Mutec has also been 100% stable and glitch free.   Now my Mutec has settled in a bit and is running it's latest 1.10 firmware, I might try another Mutec / AIR back to back.  In fact I have noticed a SAM related reason for trying this, more at the weekend if I get the time!

I would be interested to hear how that turns out. As a lifetime Rooney (not the Wayne variety!) I am not especially interested in anything that relies on a different UI unless the SQ was massively superior. Even through all my earlier AIR woes, I always found USB sounded terrible (when fed directly from the PC) so I resisted buying add-on boxes to try and fix it. Now, AIR is stable for me, sounds good and works well with Roon, so it is tricky to know where the next step might come from. The mR is affordable enough, but adding an LPS, a Mutec, a fancy clock ...... There is no end to it! We both heard the dCS at Oxford, so I am trying to gauge the spectrum between AIR & dCS in terms of SQ vs cost.

RE: Sonore Streamers - Hifi_swlon - 19-Sep-2016

I checked out the internals of the rendu the other night - it's very lean in there!

Its essentially a 'stock' im6 SoM daughter board (which is TINY!) which I'm pretty sure from the serial # is from SolidRun, mounted onto another board housing power, network, USB, and SD card sockets, and a handful of components. I was always under the impression the entire thing had been built from the ground-up but I guess designing and building a CPU/SoM board from scratch is beyond the realms of possibility for a few individuals manufacturing small quantities.

I was intrigued to look after a network scan picked up the rendu as a solid run component.

Since both the rendu and the sonicorbiterSE (Cubox) use they same OS and have presumably turned off many of the same redundant features, I wonder how much worse the Cubox performs. Anyone compared?

Audio aside what I was most amazed by is how small electronics has become. Those SoM boards are about $50 and could be used for loads of cool things. I wish I had the skills/equipment to make something with one.

Ordered a Paul Hynes SR3 today. To be honest I'm not expecting it to do much (I added a linear to the Regen when I had it and found no improvement with or without it so am just assuming the same) but curiosity got the better of me. It could well be the Devialets USB that's holding things back, and in reality I should wait for the Uptone LPS-1, but I got impatient and experimental. Paul says it can be adjusted 3-10v with an internal precision pot, so it will find a use somewhere if not (or be useful for resale). Plus he has a 45 day return, although I get the impression no one returns them so there would be pressure there for a one man band.

I almost bought a Singxer SU-1 but was out of stock at the time of order so am sitting on the fence for a bit.

I'm sure soon enough we'll all be flogging the rendus, LPS's, Curious USB cables, and LPS-1's, and moving to dCS network streamer anyway. The fact they're on the RoonReady partner list, and it has Ethernet to AES all in one box bodes pretty well. Well, OK let's not forget it won't be cheap as its dCS but it would be a very tidy solution. Wink