Devialet Chat
Sonore Streamers - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: Sonore Streamers (/Thread-Sonore-Streamers)

RE: Sonore Streamers - Borgen - 19-Sep-2016

I used a Cubox i4Pro with Volumio (highly tuned on processes, prio settings, interrupts ++) with a relatively high quality linear PSU prior to mR. When I shifted to mR with lower quality SMPS I felt that the image opened up more, not much but enough noticeable that I never went back.

RE: Sonore Streamers - Antoine - 14-Oct-2016

Fellow Dutchman Hans Beekhuyzen reviewed the SotM SMS-200 and shared his video review on Youtube today, see: https://youtu.be/TV-FvRF9KGA

Spoiler alert; We'll have to upgrade our microRendu's to SotM SMS-200's if we want something better! Wink

RE: Sonore Streamers - Hifi_swlon - 14-Oct-2016

(14-Oct-2016, 20:10)Antoine Wrote: Fellow Dutchman Hans Beekhuyzen reviewed the SotM SMS-200 and shared his video review on Youtube today, see: https://youtu.be/TV-FvRF9KGA

Spoiler alert; We'll have to upgrade our microRendu's to SotM SMS-200's if we want something better! Wink

Damn! Seems like just yesterday I was watching him say the rendu was the best thing ever....

Favourite quote (paraphrased) - "if you think all USB is the same, go into a hifi shop and compare a standard computer to an NAA fed with a decent power supply. You'll either be amazed, or deaf"

Least favourite quote 'Sonore are already working on an updated improved version'. Sad Well, hopefully firmware Smile

RE: Sonore Streamers - Antoine - 14-Oct-2016

Haha well I wouldn't let it bug you, something better is always near to being released, or already there. Smile

Of course there's the question of how much, if any at all, difference there is between the two using a great power supply. To be honest the SBooster BOTW PSU's he seems to be so fond of aren't that special or great IMO.

And IME there's also other ways to improve the performance of the microRendu (higher quality networking cables, isolation before the mR for ethernet and after for USB, re-clocking). No idea if this closes the gap enough or even takes one of both further than the other.

RE: Sonore Streamers - Confused - 14-Oct-2016

(14-Oct-2016, 20:32)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Least favourite quote 'Sonore are already working on an updated improved version'. Sad Well, hopefully firmware Smile

No, this is the new microRendu Pro, upgrade scheme starts 'soon'.

(14-Oct-2016, 20:57)Confused Wrote:
(14-Oct-2016, 20:32)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Least favourite quote 'Sonore are already working on an updated improved version'. Sad Well, hopefully firmware Smile

No, this is the new microRendu Pro, upgrade scheme starts 'soon'.

Haha! Well, by that time hopefully the Devialet will be RoonReady so will all be immaterial Wink

(Positivity wave)

I really like this Hans chap. Had never heard of him before the rendu review, but now I have a quick look now and then. I'm not sure if it's his accent or the way he gets so excited about everything (or a bit of both), but it's just kind of fun to watch.

Will be interesting to see what Computer Audiophile will make of it. My guess is it won't get reviewed, or if it does it won't be quite as good at the microrendu.

(14-Oct-2016, 20:39)Antoine Wrote: Haha well I wouldn't let it bug you, something better is always near to being released, or already there. Smile

Of course there's the question of how much, if any at all, difference there is between the two using a great power supply. To be honest the SBooster BOTW PSU's he seems to be so fond of aren't that special or great IMO.

And IME there's also other ways to improve the performance of the microRendu (higher quality networking cables, isolation before the mR for ethernet and after for USB, re-clocking). No idea if this closes the gap enough or even takes one of both further than the other.

Yeah, I'm not worried really. I won't be buying a replacement any time soon, not unless someone says it brought tears to their eyes (I think that's going to be my new 'decision line' from now on).

The sbooster was used on both I suppose though. And he's right, the name really needs to go.

You guys are ok anyway since you pipe the output elsewhere. I can't imagine the difference he's describing would be that noticeable.

RE: Sonore Streamers - Hifi_swlon - 19-Oct-2016

Was pretty disappointed to hear my Paul Hynes is delayed.

I only found out after the longest estimated shipping date had passed, and I repeatedly chased.

It's a real shame - I understand Paul's a 'one man band' and his products are good, but I think a bit of modernisation might be in order... It's really making me regret not ordering an LPS-1 to be honest. Oh well, let's just hope it ships by its new estimated date.

RE: Sonore Streamers - Confused - 19-Oct-2016

(19-Oct-2016, 17:03)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Was pretty disappointed to hear my Paul Hynes is delayed.

I only found out after the longest estimated shipping date had passed, and I repeatedly chased.  

It's a real shame - I understand Paul's a 'one man band' and his products are good, but I think a bit of modernisation might be in order... It's really making me regret not ordering an LPS-1 to be honest. Oh well, let's just hope it ships by its new estimated date.

Delayed how long?  I have to say that I initially felt a little negative towards the LPS-1, but over on CA it does appear to be getting universaly positive comments, so now I'm tempted.  I was going to suggest you vote with your feet and cancel the Paul Hynes, but I'm guessing you've paid a huge deposit, plus I think it will be an excellent piece of kit when it does finally arrive, a lot neater than a PSU that needs an LPSU to power it.

RE: Sonore Streamers - Hifi_swlon - 19-Oct-2016

(19-Oct-2016, 18:00)Confused Wrote:
(19-Oct-2016, 17:03)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Was pretty disappointed to hear my Paul Hynes is delayed.

Delayed how long?  I have to say that I initially felt a little negative towards the LPS-1, but over on CA it does appear to be getting universaly positive comments, so now I'm tempted.  I was going to suggest you vote with your feet and cancel the Paul Hynes, but I'm guessing you've paid a huge deposit, plus I think it will be an excellent piece of kit when it does finally arrive, a lot neater than a PSU that needs an LPSU to power it.

Estimated at a week. That's after 4 weeks.
Deposit?! You pay upfront. Confused

And while there's a chance to return after evaluation if you're not happy, you can't cancel after ordering as parts are ordered in against it. So said the order confirmation or an email along the way somewhere.

Ok, I'm probably being a bit impatient, but because of the other threads I came across after ordering it (you know the ones) I emailed to check things were on schedule and was told 'yes, at this stage'. Mmmm. I'm just panicking in advance I suppose having read the history. I mean I knew it wasn't Amazon, but.... I sense the numerous caveats in Paul's lead times kind of mean he never has to stick to them.

Maybe it's just reading LPS-1 reviews making me more impatient! Like you say I'm sure it will be great when it arrives.