Devialet Chat
Sonore Streamers - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: Sonore Streamers (/Thread-Sonore-Streamers)

RE: Sonore Streamers - octaviars - 04-Dec-2016

(03-Dec-2016, 19:13)Confused Wrote:
(03-Dec-2016, 18:53)Soniclife Wrote:
(03-Dec-2016, 15:02)Confused Wrote: EDIT:  Upgrade alert!  So impressed am I with the little LPS-1, that already thoughts have started forming in my mind about getting another one, in this case to power the Mutec.  All you need to know really....

How would that work, and can the ifi be tried in it's place?

It would require opening up the Mutec and soldering in a cable for an external supply, so a bit too drastic for trying the iFI, the voltage is wrong too. Actually, I'm thinking now that the LPS-1 probably does not offer enough current to power the Mutec, so this will need some investigation.  It's not something I'm in any rush to try though.  One thing occurs to me, the iFI is the same voltage as my Ethernet switch, so I could try using it there.

Does the Mutec not have something like a 6.2V internal PSU? How would you get the 7V from the LPS-1 to work with this, curious to now Huh Big Grin

RE: Sonore Streamers - Confused - 04-Dec-2016

(04-Dec-2016, 09:41)octaviars Wrote: Does the Mutec not have something like a 6.2V internal PSU? How would you get the 7V from the LPS-1 to work with this, curious to now Huh Big Grin

The Mutec is 6.2V.  To be honest, I am not sure myself that it will work.  There has been a little talk of trying it over on Computer Audiophile, there is a slight voltage miss mismatch but the Mutec does have an internal regulator, there is also a question mark over the Mutec's current requirement.  So maybe it will work, maybe not.  One thing is for sure, I will not be the first to try it, I'll leave that privilege to someone braver than me!  If you read through Antoine's system thread you will see that he has successfully removed the SMPS from his Mutec and is powering from a Paul Hynes LPSU, so in principle it can be done, but I'm not sure about it working with an LPS-1.

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=46&pid=45694&highlight=mutec#pid45694

Anyway, all this is a little off topic here, but worry not, I plan to nudge this thread back on topic soon......

RE: Sonore Streamers - Confused - 04-Dec-2016

(03-Dec-2016, 22:21)samsoum Wrote:
(03-Dec-2016, 22:16)mdconnelly Wrote: Great information.  Thank you Confused!

Any chance you've compared using the microRendu/LPS-1 combo against the latest AIR 3.0.1 beta?   I currently have the uRendu (with iFi PS) and find that AIR 3.0.1 beta (the only one that has worked well for me) is just as good.   What I'd love to know is if the uRendu/LPS-1 combo is then even better than than AIR.

I m very interesred as well to know that!
Thks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First to say I would be more than happy to try a microRendu/LPS-1 versus AIR 3.0.1 comparison.  I think such comparisons are actually very useful to the Devialet chat community, AIR can serve as a good 'reference point', although there is still the speculation as to if the Mac and Windows versions differ.  A while back when I was looking at streamer options I was often posting 'how does it compare to AIR', and often ended up a little frustrated by how few people made the comparison.  Anyway, I think this one will need to wait to next weekend.  Yesterday afternoon the Confused household was hit by a blocked sink drain crisis.  I thought this would be an easy fix, but no!  OK, this is not the 'Unofficial Plumbing DIY' forum, so I will not go into details, but the issue is fixed, the kitchen looks like war zone, I have burnt my face and right foot with sulphuric acid, and there is still much cleaning up to do!  The acid is in the drain unblocking fluid I bought yesterday and it's fair to say the injuries are mild, nothing permanent.  (although my forehead looks uncannily like Harry Potter's now, what does this mean?)  I have to say though that this sink unblocking stuff is utterly evil!  You do need to be very careful when using it, I am quite sure it is powerful enough to dissolve a 1000 Pro, which would be annoying.

Back on topic, to date I have not even tried AIR 3.0.1 beta, and not used AIR with the Pro, other than a quick test to make sure it works.  Anyway, I need some background music whilst I head back into the kitchen war zone for the clean up, so I thought I would load up AIR 3.0.1 just to give it a try.  With a quick listen, I have to say it does sound very good indeed!

RE: Sonore Streamers - Antoine - 04-Dec-2016

It would have been easier and cheaper with the Paul Hynes SR5-MR2 you were looking at once! Wink Romaz found his Paul Hynes SR7 outperforms the LPS-1 on both the microRendu and SoTM SMS-200. (http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/soul-music-sms-200-unveiled-munich-hi-end-28284/index11.html#post608904 and http://www.head-fi.org/t/766517/chord-electronics-dave/5940#post_13067878) Of course I can't tell how a SR5 would compare to a LPS-1 on a microRendu.

Unfortunately I can no longer find the current requirements of the Mutec or why I specified a >=1A current when I contacted Paul Hynes for my PSU. Me specifying this suggests that back then I was sure it would run OK with 1A @6.2V. In any case I would not run both the mR and Mutec from a single LPS-1 as this will defeat some of the the isolation properties of the LPS-1 and perhaps also consume too much power.

Whether the 7V would fry it, I don't know, it's close to 6.2V and indeed there are regulators inside that should provide the correct voltages to the components behind and just convert the excess power to heat. The question is what regulators are fitted and can they handle ~7V and the extra heat. I don't think it'll pose a big problem but would check nonetheless. Perhaps Mutec is willing to answer those questions.

RE: Sonore Streamers - Hifi_swlon - 06-Dec-2016

(04-Dec-2016, 14:04)Confused Wrote: You do need to be very careful when using it, I am quite sure it is powerful enough to dissolve a 1000 Pro, which would be annoying.

Maybe a test for the weekend after?

Hope you're healing nicely. Looking forward to more of your great comparisons.

I have to say I've noticed little improvement overall with the SR3. What I noticed far more was reinstating the Intona, which I took out when the Pro arrived. I say 'far more' but actually it's still quite subtle. But somehow there's less edginess and it's easier to listen to. Possibly imagined of course.

RE: Sonore Streamers - struts - 07-Dec-2016

Has anyone (@Antoine?, @Confused?, @Hifi_swlon?) who has upgraded Expert to Expert Pro and is driving it with a microRendu had time to test whether the standby issue mentioned in the mR release notes is solved in the Pro upgrade?  The USB driver appears to have been changed/upgraded (see my CA post here).

Received my Pro back yesterday and only had time to hook it up before a domestic crisis required my attention.  I'm travelling until Friday and then away all weekend at a kids' swimming competition.  But still very curious!!

RE: Sonore Streamers - Hifi_swlon - 07-Dec-2016

Haven't had a single issue here. Roon still drops connection temporarily at input selection or into/out of standby, but the rendu picks it back up quickly. The issue that remains is devialet 'resetting' the USB connection but it's only a short delay.

I put a ticket in at devialet and suggested they chat to Roon/sonore guys for more info but predictably they're 'too busy'. Waste of time trying to help devialet.

RE: Sonore Streamers - Antoine - 08-Dec-2016

@struts, I wouldn't be able to know. Smile I've never had the mR connected to the Devialet USB input. I'm using the Mutec MC-3+ USB as a USB to AES/EBU converter (and re-clocker).

A more general note; I'm going to order a SotM SMS-200 very soon so might also soon after say goodbye to the microRendu.

RE: Sonore Streamers - Axel - 08-Dec-2016

(08-Dec-2016, 00:26)Antoine Wrote: @struts, I wouldn't be able to know. Smile I've never had the mR connected to the Devialet USB input. I'm using the Mutec MC-3+ USB as a USB to AES/EBU converter (and re-clocker).

A more general note; I'm going to order a SotM SMS-200 very soon so might also soon after say goodbye to the microRendu.

That's an interesting looking piece of kit, Antoine. I'd be very keen to read your review, after you've had time to evaluate it. How will you connect it to the Mutec: USB?

RE: Sonore Streamers - Antoine - 08-Dec-2016

(08-Dec-2016, 03:40)Axel Wrote: That's an interesting looking piece of kit, Antoine. I'd be very keen to read your review, after you've had time to evaluate it. How will you connect it to the Mutec: USB?

edit: I've removed my post (bit off topic here) and moved it over to my system topic. See http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=46&pid=54613#pid54613 Smile