Devialet Chat
B&W 803D3 - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Speakers (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Speakers)
+--- Thread: B&W 803D3 (/Thread-B-W-803D3)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

B&W 803D3 - BrianT - 15-Mar-2016

So I bit the bullet today, and placed an order for a set of B&W 803D3's (black) sold my pair of B&W 802D
I had been looking at a set of Focal Sopra2's, and had put a deposit down on a set.
I loved them on my 1st audition, but I took Antonio G. advice (samurai7595) and went back for a second addition.
This time I found them to be overly bright, everything else was perfect with them, but I figured that I could not live with them.
I talked to my dealer about my problem, and he said no problem and refunded my deposit.

In the mean time, I had spent a few hours with a pair of B&W 803D3 and found them to be marvellous 
so today I bit the bullet and placed an order, even though they are 4K more than the Sopra2's I now
they are worth it.
As a B&W fan, my last 4 sets of speaker where B&W's I find the ned D3 skiers to be the best they have made.
I was doing my best to move away from B&W, but it looks like I do not do a very good job.

The speakers are in stock at the dealers in Montreal, I just have to find the time to go and pick them up, hoping to do
it this weekend.

Brian

RE: B&W 803D3 - samurai7595 - 16-Mar-2016

Congrats Brian!

B&W 803D3 - Supra - 16-Mar-2016

Congrats! What amps you plan to use with the 803D3?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: B&W 803D3 - Dr Tone - 16-Mar-2016

(16-Mar-2016, 19:16)Supra Wrote: Congrats! What amps you plan to use with the 803D3?

Being the smart ass I am, I'm guessing the D400 listed in his signature.   Big Grin

RE: B&W 803D3 - Gentleman - 16-Mar-2016

Hi Brian.

I am playing these with a D400 for several weeks already. Indeed a very good choice and in fact much better than the 802 D2.

But keep in mind that the new speakers need a lot of time for break-in.

And make sure to test an alternative to the provided jumpers, they really suck....

In Dubio Pro Audio

Jan

RE: B&W 803D3 - BrianT - 16-Mar-2016

(16-Mar-2016, 20:16)Dr Tone Wrote:
(16-Mar-2016, 19:16)Supra Wrote: Congrats! What amps you plan to use with the 803D3?

Being the smart ass I am, I'm guessing the D400 listed in his signature.   Big Grin

Dr Tone

You win the cookie, (its a double chocolate chip) as you are correct.

Supra

I will be using a set of D400

Brian

(16-Mar-2016, 21:18)Gentleman Wrote: Hi Brian.

I am playing these with a D400 for several weeks already. Indeed a very good choice and in fact much better than the 802 D2.

But keep in mind that the new speakers need a lot of time for break-in.

And make sure to test an alternative to the provided jumpers, they really suck....

In Dubio Pro Audio

Jan

Jan

Thanks for the advice. But I think i'm OK as
I have a set of Auditorium 23 jumper cables, they match my speaker cables.

Glad you like the 803D3, I should manage to pick them up this weekend.

Brian

(16-Mar-2016, 12:00)samurai7595 Wrote: Congrats Brian!

Antonio

Thanks for your congrats.

How you doing with your speaker choice ?

Brian

RE: B&W 803D3 - samurai7595 - 17-Mar-2016

(16-Mar-2016, 22:40)BrianT Wrote: Antonio

Thanks for your congrats.

How you doing with your speaker choice ?

Brian

Hi Brian,

So far, I've auditioned the Harbeth Super HL5+, Sonus Faber Olympica II, Focal Sopra 2, Magico S1, Wilson Audio Sabrina and B&W 804d3.

Of all those speakers, I really liked the Sabrina speakers the best but they are not within my budget (not even close).  These only had about 50 hours on them and sounded very nice.

For the Sopra 2 speakers, I just didn't like the Beryllium tweeter as it sounded bright/harsh to my ears (they had about 200 hours on them).

The Olympica II speakers were very nice in the highs and mids (beautiful/sweet midrange) but they do not go as deep as my ProAc Response D30R (I love deep, well-controlled bass).  These speakers had about 300 hours on them.

The Super HL5+ speakers did not impress me at all although they did have a sweet midrange but the bass was lacking (also had about 200 hours on them) and my wife hates their retro look.

The S1 speakers were god awful (to my ears) as they sounded congested and lacking in bass (they had about 300 hours on them).  I really hated these speakers and cannot understand the favourable reviews on them.  Note that these were the original version (they now have a v2 with new drivers & crossover).

I like the 804d3 speakers a lot.  They had about 100 hours on them and sounded great.  Very clear & precise highs, very sweet midrange and very impressive bass considering their size (smaller than my ProAc speakers).  They are also beautiful to look at (to my eyes) and seem to have very high WAF (my wife loves the look).  I was afraid that the tweeter would be bright (with a name like diamond) but not at all.

The last speaker I'm going to audition is the Spendor D7.  I've read great reviews on these speakers and I'm really curious to hear them.

So once I've auditioned the Spendor, it will be either B&W 804d3 or Spendor D7 or stay with my ProAc speakers.

BTW, I'm sorry if I've offended anyone reading this (in case you own any of the speakers I did not like) but this is what this business is all about.  We don't all like the same things...  Tongue  YMMV

RE: B&W 803D3 - Mr_Bill - 17-Mar-2016

I have heard the Spendor D7 and it is really good!
I'll be interested in what you hear and your comments if you share.