Devialet Chat
Devialet and Obsolescence? - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet News (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-News)
+--- Thread: Devialet and Obsolescence? (/Thread-Devialet-and-Obsolescence)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Devialet and Obsolescence? - MusicFirst - 15-Apr-2016

I am sure it has crossed the minds of virtually everyone, but in a market where new electronics come out every week, are we sitting on devices that will rapidly become obsolete?

I would be less concerned if the ADC/DVC/DAC modules of the Devs were not technologies that seem to be in heavy development.  

I have heard sub 1000 dollar dacs in systems where the sound quality would have been inconceivable a couple years ago.

Don't get me wrong, I really think my Devs are (still) world beaters at their price point, but the bar is rising.

Please no flame wars, I only have a little extinguisher. Blush

Kerry

RE: Devialet and Obsolescence? - Cylob - 15-Apr-2016

The good thing is that your next device will be much better and have more options for the same amount of cash. Or less...
I didn't buy my Devialet to sell it again. I bought it because I loved it and had the feeling I would use it for 5-10 years or more even.
After that I'll move it to my bedroom or give it away as present I guess.

RE: Devialet and Obsolescence? - Confused - 15-Apr-2016

I enjoyed my previous system for many years after it was horribly obsolete. In fact much of it still sounds terrific morphed into my surround system.

I think the trick is to get a system that you really enjoy and are satisfied with. It'll sound much the same in ten years time, the rest is psychology. In fact the ability to continue to enjoy my last system and ignore all the nice new stuff coming to the market, rather than always chasing the next big thing, has perhaps provided much of the budget for what I now enjoy!

RE: Devialet and Obsolescence? - MusicFirst - 15-Apr-2016

(15-Apr-2016, 22:03)Confused Wrote: I enjoyed my previous system for many years after it was horribly obsolete.  In fact much of it still sounds terrific morphed into my surround system.

I think the trick is to get a system that you really enjoy and are satisfied with.  It'll sound much the same in ten years time, the rest is psychology.  In fact the ability to continue to enjoy my last system and ignore all the nice new stuff coming to the market, rather than always chasing the next big thing, has perhaps provided much of the budget for what I now enjoy!

I guess I should stop looking, reading, attending shows and spend more time listening to music.....

RE: Devialet and Obsolescence? - Dr Tone - 15-Apr-2016

(15-Apr-2016, 22:22)MusicFirst Wrote:
(15-Apr-2016, 22:03)Confused Wrote: I enjoyed my previous system for many years after it was horribly obsolete.  In fact much of it still sounds terrific morphed into my surround system.

I think the trick is to get a system that you really enjoy and are satisfied with.  It'll sound much the same in ten years time, the rest is psychology.  In fact the ability to continue to enjoy my last system and ignore all the nice new stuff coming to the market, rather than always chasing the next big thing, has perhaps provided much of the budget for what I now enjoy!

I guess I should stop looking, reading, attending shows and spend more time listening to music.....

We should all probably start following that advice.  Shy

RE: Devialet and Obsolescence? - Pim - 16-Apr-2016

This has come up before and as far as I can see it, it's all in your own mind really. Once you have a great sounding system, it will still be a great sounding system in 20 years time. And we're in a situation now that the gear you can get nowadays is so good that the next big thing won't be significantly better, or more importantly, more enjoyable. It will be marginally better and might have more options. And if they are options you want, then you will need to upgrade, but if you don't, just live on and be happy! like I am Smile

RE: Devialet and Obsolescence? - Confused - 16-Apr-2016

I have just decided that I would like my next amplifier to be from the Devialet 'Series 4' Expert range. This is the new range that will replace the range that replaces the current second generation range. Meanwhile I shall simply enjoy my little D800. The thing is, the next Expert range just wont be a big enough jump for me to be bothered with it. With this mind-set installed, I can stick on some happy music and dance around my house with a silly grin on my face just enjoying the tunes. Plus things like the Original d'Atelier can be brushed aside as a mere short term distraction in this overall plan.

In fact this is an area where spending money on hifi is so much better than spending it on cars. A nice new car does get gradually worse and worse in almost every area as time creeps by. A twenty year old car is normally either a heap of junk or already scrapped. (there are occasional exceptions to this, I know) But a twenty year old hifi, perhaps with a tiny bit of love here and there, could perform 99% as good as it did when new.

Devialet and Obsolescence? - ghosttipper - 16-Apr-2016

High End 2016: Hardware upgrade for nearly 1000 Euro is comming.

RE: Devialet and Obsolescence? - mdconnelly - 16-Apr-2016

(15-Apr-2016, 21:37)MusicFirst Wrote: I am sure it has crossed the minds of virtually everyone, but in a market where new electronics come out every week, are we sitting on devices that will rapidly become obsolete?

I would be less concerned if the ADC/DVC/DAC modules of the Devs were not technologies that seem to be in heavy development.  

I have heard sub 1000 dollar dacs in systems where the sound quality would have been inconceivable a couple years ago.

Don't get me wrong, I really think my Devs are (still) world beaters at their price point, but the bar is rising.

Please no flame wars, I only have a little extinguisher.  Blush

Kerry

I think it's the nature of the beast.  If you are the kind of listener that likes to get the latest and greatest equipment, then of course, this thought has crossed your mind.  It has mine.  But, I also tend to hang on to equipment for well into the time where replacing it means taking a big hit.   Yes, DAC and amp tech is changing and improving rapidly.

To be honest, when I bought my Devialet, I thought I was buying gear that would be more future proof because of their ability to continue to improve the firmware.   I'm not so sure that is as true as I thought it was and I know I would feel better if Devialet would better communicate their roadmap with the Expert.  That doesn't seem to be their strength.   

Don't get me wrong, it is by far the best sounding equipment I've owned and it's not even close to being obsolete, but that day will come.   As it will for every single piece of equipment currently on the market.  So I'm not losing any sleep over it.

RE: Devialet and Obsolescence? - Silvertouran - 16-Apr-2016

I don't actually believe in the word Futureproof. I mean how can you futureproof something for technology that doesn't even exist yet just because it has upgradable software? It's just another marketing buzz word.