Devialet Chat
Remote control, surface / handling - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Suggestions For Improvements (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Suggestions-For-Improvements)
+--- Thread: Remote control, surface / handling (/Thread-Remote-control-surface-handling)

Pages: 1 2

Remote control, surface / handling - yanc - 18-May-2016

I love the material used to make the casing of Dev't amps, shapes & colors.
I don't mind keeping hands away from the surface.

But a remote control is meant to be handled, 
and, as there is no other way to control the amp, I would suggest that next generations of remotes are more hand-friendly.

RE: Remote control, surface / handling - mdconnelly - 18-May-2016

As cool as I think the remote looks, I find myself using the iPhone app far more frequently. Other than as a volume control, the remote is only useful when actually looking at the display on the Expert itself.

RE: Remote control, surface / handling - f1eng - 18-May-2016

I have two remotes. One sits on the table next to my chair, the other on the rack with the amps.
That way I never handle them but use them exclusively. I have disabled the app in the configurator since I don't use it any more, hoping for less activity on my network.

RE: Remote control, surface / handling - Hifi_swlon - 19-May-2016

I love the Expert remote's aesthetics I have to say.

The signal's a bit weak because my D200's wall mounted in an alcove, so that means I often have to pick up the remote and wave it around to find a good spot (which is a bit silly and attracts some weird looks and conversation if friends are round).  So mine tends to get quite covered in fingerprints and oil - but I wouldn't trade it just for that.

As remotes go, I consider it a piece of art, and hope they don't redesign it.   Well, at least not to make it look like that carbuncle of a tub of nivea hand cream styled Phantom remote. Smile

I do use the iOS remote a fair bit, but I miss the tone controls. I do find the extra network traffic annoying though.

Remote control, surface / handling - nicoludio - 19-May-2016

I wish that the D120/D200/D400 remotes would have the same smooth feel as the D250/D800 remotes but there has to be a more premium feel for those who paid more Smile

Also, having some sort of volume /visual display would be great - hence some preference for the iOS remote. I understand they may have tried to implement this but to the detriment of battery life.

RE: Remote control, surface / handling - hk6230 - 19-May-2016

I have mine wrapped in a super-absorbent cloth which I use it to clean any fingerprint immediately. After 1 year of usage, it is still in a very perfect condition.

RE: Remote control, surface / handling - Hifi_swlon - 19-May-2016

(19-May-2016, 10:52)nicoludio Wrote: I wish that the D120/D200/D400 remotes would have the same smooth feel as the D250/D800 remotes but there has to be a more premium feel for those who paid more Smile

Also, having some sort of volume /visual display would be great - hence some preference for the iOS remote.  I understand they may have tried to implement this but to the detriment of battery life.

I've never tried the 250 remote, so good to know, I'll make sure I don't so I don't know what I'm missing.....Smile

If they really wanted to do it, I don't think the screen would be a technical challenge today, even battery-wise. Think Amazon kindle, and the size of the screen it would need and the size of the remote unit to fit a decent battery.... Plus there are plenty of Devialet users that have been happy to restart their AIR application every few hours for continued service over the past couple of years, I imagine the die-hards would have been pretty open to re-charging their remote every couple of months for the sake of a screen. It didn't even need to be fancy and fully featured - it could have been a simple LCD just for numeric feedback and mode selection- I had a casio watch for years back in the day, and the battery lasted an awfully long time... Thankfully I can now see the display on the wall mount, but prior to that I'd often find I got out of sequence using guesswork and set balance or SAM instead of bass/treble....

(19-May-2016, 11:00)hk6230 Wrote: I have mine wrapped in a super-absorbent cloth which I use it to clean any fingerprint immediately. After 1 year of usage, it is still in a very perfect condition.

Wow, that's dedication! Smile

RE: Remote control, surface / handling - Axel - 20-May-2016

I keep my remote covered with the Devialet branded cleaning cloth that comes with each amp, even when using it.

RE: Remote control, surface / handling - baddog - 20-May-2016

I LOVE my Devialet remote. Yes it gets dirty, Yes it doesn't have a built in LCD. Yes it would be nice if it had an LCD. But in the grand scheme of things this is a wonderful remote, nice big fat dial with one purpose and one purpose only, volume control. Sure beats any other remote I have had for that purpose. Plus if you ever had an intruder you could probably knock them out with one blow to the head.

IMHO of course.

RE: Remote control, surface / handling - Hifi_swlon - 20-May-2016

(20-May-2016, 04:04)baddog Wrote: Plus if you ever had an intruder you could probably knock them out with one blow to the head.

You'd wrap it in it's cleaning cloth first through, right?! Wink