Devialet Chat
Upgrade details - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet News (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-News)
+--- Thread: Upgrade details (/Thread-Upgrade-details)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: Upgrade details - wikeeboy - 09-Jul-2016

Hi noir,

Any idea what a d400 becomes? 2 x D240Pro becomes??

RE: Upgrade details - G51 - 09-Jul-2016

(08-Jul-2016, 23:35)noir Wrote: Hi all,

been to a 1000 Pro on B&W 800 D3 listening event today. Really liked what I heard (because i didn't like Od'A on 802 D3... but that's perhaps for another thread).

There was also a representative from Devialet, so here's what we talked about :
- he confirms a new DAC chip in Dev 1000 Pro (the magic wire upgrade i guess)
- Devialet OS somewhere in 2017
- 120 and 200 will be upgradeable to 240Pro. I explicitely asked for upgrades for the 120 to the 130Pro as well : no such upgrade. Seemingly because they wanted to simplify their portfolio. I didn't like that.
- Devices bought in 2016 should get a discount. Too bad i bought mine in 2015, no longer eligible >.>
- The future of the 250Pro is unclear : Devialet doesn't know if it should continue offering it or not (and just stick to the big guns 1000Pro). Naturally all existing 250 would be upgradeable.

My takeaways :
- I thought of upgrading the 120 for an acceptable fee to the new version for my office setup. Now ill either keep the 120 or sell it... i won't need a 240Pro for the office.
- As to 250 solo yay/nay : i think there's some general idea that today's 250 does sound better than the 200. However, we will have no clue how the new 240Pro will fare against the 250Pro. According to said vendor, they will keep their cases though. So that will be one difference already.

Wow, you got le120 and Vivid  G2 at your office! I got le200 for Vivid V1.5 at my home. So it will be new DAC at 240pro (I like it), 200 watt becomes 240 watt (what the name le240 pro implies) and all the new A and D amplifiers...........

Devialet is pushing itself hard to maintain its status to be innovative.

RE: Upgrade details - Antoine - 09-Jul-2016

Them being innovative here is very much open for debate AFAIC. I'd consider these things mentioned here design optimizations.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innovation

RE: Upgrade details - Damon - 09-Jul-2016

(09-Jul-2016, 02:39)Antoine Wrote: Them being innovative here is very much open for debate AFAIC. I'd consider these things mentioned here design optimizations.

Whether you consider it innovation or optimization is just a matter of definition. I would say that having a three-year old product that has, or will be, upgraded twice is innovative, absolutely. Cost of the upgrade completely aside, I can't think of any other company that has produced a line of products that are all upgradeable. Ask Von Schweikert or Sonore or JL Audio if they will be offering upgrades for their past products in three years.

Even if it is 'only' design optimization, that too represents years of design and prototypes and testing; remarkable especially for a company that clearly has some organizational challenges. And yes, communication clarity is not among their strengths. 

And finally, I'd say that the Devialet has clearly inspired imitation (or any term of flattery) products. Again, more so than any other audio product I can think of. No doubt many of these products are excellent, but without a doubt, they are following in the path cleared by Devialet. Sounds and looks and feels and smells like innovation to me.

But to the upgrade details (thread topic), I am interested and curious, certainly, but I bought a D120 rather than a D200, because the extra cost did not buy anything I needed or wanted- sound quality included. So I'll be interested to see what falls out when they shake the upgrade tree, but like Womaz and others, I'm still in love with the sound I have.

RE: Upgrade details - Wdw - 09-Jul-2016

(09-Jul-2016, 03:40)Damon Wrote:
(09-Jul-2016, 02:39)Antoine Wrote: Them being innovative here is very much open for debate AFAIC. I'd consider these things mentioned here design optimizations.

Whether you consider it innovation or optimization is just a matter of definition. I would say that having a three-year old product that has, or will be, upgraded twice is innovative, absolutely. Cost of the upgrade completely aside, I can't think of any other company that has produced a line of products that are all upgradeable. Ask Von Schweikert or Sonore or JL Audio if they will be offering upgrades for their past products in three years.

Even if it is 'only' design optimization, that too represents years of design and prototypes and testing; remarkable especially for a company that clearly has some organizational challenges. And yes, communication clarity is not among their strengths. 

And finally, I'd say that the Devialet has clearly inspired imitation (or any term of flattery) products. Again, more so than any other audio product I can think of. No doubt many of these products are excellent, but without a doubt, they are following in the path cleared by Devialet. Sounds and looks and feels and smells like innovation to me.

But to the upgrade details (thread topic), I am interested and curious, certainly, but I bought a D120 rather than a D200, because the extra cost did not buy anything I needed or wanted- sound quality included. So I'll be interested to see what falls out when they shake the upgrade tree, but like Womaz and others, I'm still in love with the sound I have.
This is why Vancouverites have it down pat.....cogent, wise, cool.  Great post.

RE: Upgrade details - Hifi_swlon - 09-Jul-2016

(09-Jul-2016, 03:40)Damon Wrote: I would say that having a three-year old product that has, or will be, upgraded twice is innovative, absolutely.

What have I missed? Isn't this the only upgrade that's been offered in the last three years?

RE: Upgrade details - Pim - 09-Jul-2016

So you can end up with an improved 240 with streaming capability for the price of a 120 plus upgrade. Compare that to the cost of the original 240 and that is a great deal. Possibly even for those with a 170/200.

I understand why they're dropping the 120. After all, it won't cost them anything less to produce then the 200 / new 240. But they will then lose an affordable entry level. And I'm not sure if that's a good idea marketing wise.

RE: Upgrade details - Cylob - 09-Jul-2016

(09-Jul-2016, 06:48)Pim van Vliet Wrote: So you can end up with an improved 240 with streaming capability for the price of a 120 plus upgrade. Compare that to the cost of the original 240 and that is a great deal. Possibly even for those with a 170/200.

I understand why they're dropping the 120. After all, it won't cost them anything less to produce then the 200 / new 240. But they will then lose an affordable entry level. And I'm not sure if that's a good idea marketing wise.

Right! I would have never listened to the D200 if there hadn't been a D120.
D200 was way over my budget. Yet after comparing the D120/200 I went for the more expensive one.

RE: Upgrade details - Pim - 09-Jul-2016

(09-Jul-2016, 09:04)Cylob Wrote:
(09-Jul-2016, 06:48)Pim van Vliet Wrote: So you can end up with an improved 240 with streaming capability for the price of a 120 plus upgrade. Compare that to the cost of the original 240 and that is a great deal. Possibly even for those with a 170/200.

D200 was way over my budget. Yet after comparing the D120/200 I went for the more expensive one.

Funny how budgets can be stretched  Smile

RE: Upgrade details - Cylob - 09-Jul-2016

(09-Jul-2016, 09:11)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(09-Jul-2016, 09:04)Cylob Wrote:

Funny how budgets can be stretched  Smile

You can say that alright, monsieur Od'A!