Devialet Chat
Expert Pro sound quality - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet D-Premier, Expert 120/200/250, Expert 140/220/250 Pro (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-D-Premier-Expert-120-200-250-Expert-140-220-250-Pro)
+--- Thread: Expert Pro sound quality (/Thread-Expert-Pro-sound-quality)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: Expert Pro sound quality - rdok - 08-Nov-2016

Hello there!
I had the pleasure to be able to compare a 220 pro to my 120 in my own home system. My observations are in line with other posts on this forum: more controlled bass, wider sound stage, more detail in the mid/high area. Overall this results in the balance sounding a bit warmer compared to the old series. More fluid, 'analog' sounding. Or, maybe looking back the 120 sounds a bit 'thin'.
Of course the step from 120 to 220 watts is also part of that.
One more observation from me though, however this is valid for my system in my listening room, but maybe others find this as well (just try some previously horrible tracks). It is confirmed by other listeners in my room though:
A lot of music that with the 120 was for me in the category 'unlistenable', effectively most contemporary music (made for mp3/smartphones?) having a flat sound stage (limited width and no depth) and truncated frequency range and sounding 'dead' or uninteresting. Now, with the 200pro the sound stage and frequency range are still very limited of course, but now are at least somewhat alive and have become listenable. This is even valid for low bitrate radio streams! Of course the variation within tracks is huge, but it is valid for a lot of music!
Obviously I will upgrade Smile

My system: Synology NAS, home brew HTPC with Linux and Roon, Sonics Allegra, Thorens TB160BmkII, Ortofon Black

RE: Expert Pro sound quality - pete86 - 08-Nov-2016

Thanks for that review rdok. I'm a fellow 120 owner and may have to take the plunge and upgrade. Did you arrange the home demo with a dealer?

On a side note, do you all think Devialet is serious about the 12/31/16 deadline to upgrade in order to get DevialetOS card for free? I remember Devialet made similar claims in the past for limited time offers, such as the AIR card when the original D-Premier and when the 110, 170, 240s came out series came out. They ended up including the AIR feature indefinitely, at no additional cost.

RE: Expert Pro sound quality - G51 - 08-Nov-2016

(08-Nov-2016, 16:56)pete86 Wrote: Thanks for that review rdok. I'm a fellow 120 owner and may have to take the plunge and upgrade. Did you arrange the home demo with a dealer?

On a side note, do you all think Devialet is serious about the 12/31/16 deadline to upgrade in order to get DevialetOS card for free? I remember Devialet made similar claims in the past for limited time offers, such as the AIR card when the original D-Premier and when the 110, 170, 240s came out series came out. They ended up including the AIR feature indefinitely, at no additional cost.

I would not believe the 12.31.16 deadline. Why? Because it is Devialet Tongue

RE: Expert Pro sound quality - Celts88 - 08-Nov-2016

See below from Devialet Support, make your mind up if you want to believe them or not  Undecided

RE: Expert Pro sound quality - rdok - 09-Nov-2016

(08-Nov-2016, 16:56)pete86 Wrote: Thanks for that review rdok. I'm a fellow 120 owner and may have to take the plunge and upgrade. Did you arrange the home demo with a dealer?

The 220 was kindly borrowed to me by my dealer.
I don't know how much chance there is the offer will extend into 2017. It is Devialet after all..

RE: Expert Pro sound quality - yabaVR - 09-Nov-2016

What is the real profit of this OS card anyway?

Ok, it's "in house" but as there is something like a MicroRendu being so small and all the renderers to come I see no advantage in the streamer board.

Has anybody thought of the aspect that it could even make the D's sound worse because of having an other "computer" inside producing interferences with other circuits?

No struggle to update before christmas. Don't let them push you  Big Grin

gui

RE: Expert Pro sound quality - Rufus McDufus - 09-Nov-2016

(09-Nov-2016, 09:38)yabaVR Wrote: Has anybody thought of the aspect that it could even make the D's sound worse because of having an other "computer" inside producing interferences with other circuits?

That thought has crossed my mind too.

RE: Expert Pro sound quality - thumb5 - 09-Nov-2016

Me too. If it's anything like the Dialog, I'm also worried about the additional power dissipation and the increase in temperature that might cause.

RE: Expert Pro sound quality - GuillaumeB - 09-Nov-2016

Personally I'm very intrigued by this streamer board. In some recent email correspondence Mathieu Pernod at Devialet told me that the OS board will represent a greater evolutionary step than anything else so far announced for the PRO series.

Only snag really is that we have to wait until next summer to find out what it is!

Guillaume

RE: Expert Pro sound quality - Hifi_swlon - 09-Nov-2016

(09-Nov-2016, 11:42)GuillaumeB Wrote: In some recent email correspondence Mathieu Pernod at Devialet told me that the OS board will represent a greater evolutionary step than anything else so far announced for the PRO series.
Guillaume

And they're generally pretty understated in their claims so this could really be the one Wink

Seriously though, I am too. Did he give anything away to support the claim?

As to the D sounding worse, that seems doubtful as there's already an ageing streamer board inside. If anything they should know a lot more about isolating this kind of thing from the rest of the hardware even if  the new one's 'more powerful'. I've got a microRendu but as good as it is it's still Ethernet > USB > whatever the Devialet uses to connect that to their motherboard (i2s?). In theory cutting out a step shouldn't be a bad thing. If done right.