Devialet Chat
Expert Pro sound quality - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet D-Premier, Expert 120/200/250, Expert 140/220/250 Pro (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-D-Premier-Expert-120-200-250-Expert-140-220-250-Pro)
+--- Thread: Expert Pro sound quality (/Thread-Expert-Pro-sound-quality)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: Expert Pro sound quality - NickB - 07-Oct-2016

(06-Oct-2016, 10:07)ledesc Wrote: Just a question to better understand, Devialet says that with the expert Pro upgrade program the new Devialet OS board will be delivered for free in 2017.
So it means it could be available also for the older expert line as it is an additional board ?

(06-Oct-2016, 19:38)mdconnelly Wrote: Two things I'd love to learn more about...

1) Description of the sound quality changes between the 200 and the 220 Pro...  what are they and how obvious are they?
2) Is the change more toward what a 400 would bring or is it something quite different?  

Basically, I'm wrestling with whether to consider a 200 to 220 Pro upgrade or add a Companion for a D400 (or just 2nd D200 given availability on the used market).   Can't afford to get to a 440 Pro at this time.  My gut says the 220 Pro upgrade is the smart  long-term decision, but only if there is a substantial improvement in SQ.  It ain't cheap.

Is a companion 200 any less expensive than the upgrade to a 220?

Expert Pro sound quality - BjornWiman - 10-Oct-2016

Today I received my D250 after upgrade to D250 Pro. Within minutes after I reinstalled the amplifier in my system The sound quality improvement were obvious! Larger soundstage - both height width and depth - and with an even better punch - the upgrade is worth every penny in my book!

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

Expert Pro sound quality - BjornWiman - 11-Oct-2016

...After continued listening I can add a sense of better resolution on lower sound levels to my previous comments - the soundstage is still there even though the volume control is down to -65dB on a 90dB efficency speaker. I also hear more and better defined layers in the production of studio recordings. On classical live recordings the sense of the concert hall is more obvious.

My conclusion is that if you have the money, do the upgrade.

BR

Björn

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

RE: Expert Pro sound quality - ogs - 11-Oct-2016

(11-Oct-2016, 07:32)BjornWiman Wrote: ...After continued listening I can add a sense of better resolution on lower sound levels to my previous comments - the soundstage is still there even though the volume control is down to -65dB on a 90dB efficency speaker. I also hear more and better defined layers in the production of studio recordings. On classical live recordings the sense of the concert hall is more obvious.

My conclusion is that if you have the money, do the upgrade.

BR

Björn

Hi Björn

now I am even more exited to get my 250 back as Pro  Smile

I've delivered the amp to my dealer who will take care of shipping. I've agreed to let him borrow the upgraded amp till mid January as I will be away much of the time. Good to come home to better sound. Thanks for the reports!

RE: Expert Pro sound quality - yanc - 11-Oct-2016

250 Expert -> 250 Pro
Björn's comments above are spot on.

Got my 250 back, pro earlier today. Had a chance to run it with factory settings, and within minutes the sound felt even more delicate and more holographic than I remember it before. Clarity and separation is excellent, especially at low levels.

Played mostly acoustic music, but will try with a wider range tomorrow, and hope it performs as good.

I decided to upgrade with funds from selling older kit, mainly to renew the value on the original investment. While I didn't really have many complaints with the 250 before, I felt a touch of boominess with my room/speakers. Plus it seemed to change SQ quite considerably at various times of the day. My older system did that too (Naim), but not as much.

Time will show if those 2 issues have gone, but the first impression of the Pro was decisively positive.

RE: Expert Pro sound quality - yabaVR - 12-Oct-2016

(11-Oct-2016, 21:23)yanc Wrote:  Plus it seemed to change SQ quite considerably at various times of the day. My older system did that too (Naim), but not as much.

Time will show if those 2 issues have gone, but the first impression of the Pro was decisively positive.

The D's are very picky when it comes to purity of power on your powerline. During the day the quality of the powerline in your area changes due to high rates of consumption of multiple sources and their surges back to the powerline.

I suspect the high frequences in the PFC-power supply of our D's are very sensitive to a soiled powerline, more than the normal power supplies inside the naim.

In fact my D200 sounds "horrible" on the powerline of a friend of mine (w/ same powercord, same source and same speakers). He lives in a typical Berlin family house (build around 1900) and the powerline runs from flat 1st floor up to the top as a serial-wire picking up the "dirt" of  every apartment on the way. So is the sound.
Boominess is only one aspect I recognised with a soiled powerline. What irritates me much more was the scritchy-scratchy digital sound it caused. 
The pureness of power is the key to a seamless performance with the D's.

gui

RE: Expert Pro sound quality - AaronG - 12-Oct-2016

I've found this too. As I write I'm having dedicated lines put in in my house for audio. Unfortunately I live in an area with a lot of biotech startups, so there's only so much I can do. (I'd be curious about peoples experiences w/ the Shunyata Denali -- but that's for another thread!)

(12-Oct-2016, 08:52)yabaVR Wrote:
(11-Oct-2016, 21:23)yanc Wrote:  Plus it seemed to change SQ quite considerably at various times of the day. My older system did that too (Naim), but not as much.

The D's are very picky when it comes to purity of power on your powerline. During the day the quality of the powerline in your area changes due to high rates of consumption of multiple sources and their surges back to the powerline.

I suspect the high frequences in the PFC-power supply of our D's are very sensitive to a soiled powerline, more than the normal power supplies inside the naim.

In fact my D200 sounds "horrible" on the powerline of a friend of mine (w/ same powercord, same source and same speakers). He lives in a typical Berlin family house (build around 1900) and the powerline runs from flat 1st floor up to the top as a serial-wire picking up the "dirt" of  every apartment on the way. So is the sound.
Boominess is only one aspect I recognised with a soiled powerline. What irritates me much more was the scritchy-scratchy digital sound it caused. 
The pureness of power is the key to a seamless performance with the D's.

gui

RE: Expert Pro sound quality - AaronG - 12-Oct-2016

Wow. That made a much bigger difference than I expected. And for far less than the price of a Denali.

RE: Expert Pro sound quality - yanc - 18-Oct-2016

2nd and 3rd day since the return of the 250Pro, the sound became considerably richer but somewhat bloated. Gained in scale but lost in clarity. Not very nice.
Left the house for the W/End, system powered up.
Monday the sound had opened up to startling levels! Song after song - couldn't stop playing.
Volume/Power/Punch seemed a little less than I remembered before the upgrade though.
The casing does not get as hot as it used to. It's barely warm after hours of music.

RE: Expert Pro sound quality - jjmouse - 18-Oct-2016

(18-Oct-2016, 06:32)yanc Wrote: 2nd and 3rd day since the return of the 250Pro, the sound became considerably richer but somewhat bloated. Gained in scale but lost in clarity. Not very nice.
Left the house for the W/End, system powered up.
Monday the sound had opened up to startling levels! Song after song - couldn't stop playing.
Volume/Power/Punch seemed a little less than I remembered before the upgrade though.
The casing does not get as hot as it used to. It's barely worm after hours of music.

For my 250 Pro, the highest temperature is 51c..normally it is 4x.