Devialet Chat
Expert Pro sound quality - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet D-Premier, Expert 120/200/250, Expert 140/220/250 Pro (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-D-Premier-Expert-120-200-250-Expert-140-220-250-Pro)
+--- Thread: Expert Pro sound quality (/Thread-Expert-Pro-sound-quality)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: Expert Pro sound quality - ozthepoz - 18-Oct-2016

Had my 250 Pro back for four days and have been using it pretty solidly all that time, so I'm assuming it's pretty well burned in.

It's always difficult making comparisons when it's been away for two weeks, but here goes;

First thing that struck me is the bass extension seems to be deeper - not significantly, but enough to notice.
Also, more slam in the drums; my electrostatics can be a bit "passive" when it comes to percussion, but there is definitely more punch. Listening to Downtown Venus (P.M Dawn) - which samples the drumming from Deep Purple's Hush - it's much more evident in the mix.

I listen to a lot of acoustic guitar and I've really noticed a cleaner and more defined sound around each string pluck. On Jonathan Wilson's Gentle Spirit, the guitar comes in after about 30 seconds and sounds beautifully clear and realistic. Similarly, the guitar and mandolin in John Martyn's Over The Hill sound fresh and vibrant, each note clearly articulated.

Draw your Swords by Angus and Julia Stone is a good reference track - again, lovely strummed guitar, and a big, wide vocal that fills the space between the speakers. Overall, the soundstage seems deeper and broader than before, and this adds to the impression that each instrument is in its own space.

The most noticeable difference, I think, is an improvement in resolution across the board, and better separation of the component parts of the music. Plucking, strumming, drum beats, piano keys - all clean and distinct with no aural clutter. (In fairness, the 250 was pretty good before the upgrade, but it just seems better now). The resolution doesn't come at the expense of atmosphere - Cat Power still sounds like she's singing in a smoky bar, 8 feet in front of me. Ane Brun singing All my Tears, is the same - utterly captivating vocal presentation.

Also, FWIW, Mrs Poz noticed the separation of the various components, and said that that the music felt more real.

I'm very pleased I upgraded; it does feel like a new amp, albeit one that builds on the strengths of its predecessor.

RE: Expert Pro sound quality - Celts88 - 20-Oct-2016

(18-Oct-2016, 20:46)ozthepoz Wrote: Had my 250 Pro back for four days and have been using it pretty solidly all that time, so I'm assuming it's pretty well burned in.

It's always difficult making comparisons when it's been away for two weeks, but here goes;

First thing that struck me is the bass extension seems to be deeper - not significantly, but enough to notice.
Also, more slam in the drums; my electrostatics can be a bit "passive" when it comes to percussion, but there is definitely more punch. Listening to Downtown Venus (P.M Dawn) - which samples the drumming from Deep Purple's Hush - it's much more evident in the mix.

I listen to a lot of acoustic guitar and I've really noticed a cleaner and more defined sound around each string pluck. On Jonathan Wilson's Gentle Spirit, the guitar comes in after about 30 seconds and sounds beautifully clear and realistic. Similarly, the guitar and mandolin in John Martyn's Over The Hill sound fresh and vibrant, each note clearly articulated.

Draw your Swords by Angus and Julia Stone is a good reference track - again, lovely strummed guitar, and a big, wide vocal that fills the space between the speakers. Overall, the soundstage seems deeper and broader than before, and this adds to the impression that each instrument is in its own space.

The most noticeable difference, I think, is an improvement in resolution across the board, and better separation of the component parts of the music. Plucking, strumming, drum beats, piano keys - all clean and distinct with no aural clutter. (In fairness, the 250 was pretty good before the upgrade, but it just seems better now). The resolution doesn't come at the expense of atmosphere - Cat Power still sounds like she's singing in a smoky bar, 8 feet in front of me. Ane Brun singing All my Tears, is the same - utterly captivating vocal presentation.

Also, FWIW, Mrs Poz noticed the separation of the various components, and said that that the music felt more real.

I'm very pleased I upgraded; it does feel like a new amp, albeit one that builds on the strengths of its predecessor.

Ozthepoz

Sounds like a worthwhile upgrade (especially coming from D-P to 250Pro, which will be the case with myself). Glad your enjoying your new 250Pro, and in the coming weeks the burn-in takes hold and you see another increase in SQ  Smile

Upgrades haven't started here in Oz, and getting worried that when they do will have little time for the upgrade if Devialet are still going to stick with the end of December program (Canada, USA, New Zealand & South Africa have only just started, so may still be a while for us guys down under)  Huh

There isn't a single Pro model in any of the stores here in Perth, so like others don't have any chance to listen and hear what the upgrades actaully sound like.

RE: Expert Pro sound quality - invader - 20-Oct-2016

Received my 250PRO about a week ago and loving it. Haven't been posting on this forum for a while, but the effect of this upgrade is so significant it makes me really excited. The difference between the 250 and 250pro is immediately noticeable, with all the goods described here earlier by others. Especially the increased soundstage makes all the difference.

Maybe another interesting comparison. I've been playing around, like others here, with a lot of tweaks. Dual PC JPlay setup, USB Regen, cabling, mRendu, HQPlayer, etc.. After this upgrade I now went back to the Devialet basics, using latest AIR via ETH. It just sounds right this way and also AIR is very stable for me. I also really like the AQ NRG power cable supplied, it just fits underneath the backplate; the PS Audio AC12 I have doesn't.

All in all I think its time for me to sell of all those tweaks and I might even 'earn' back the cost of the upgrade + extra!

PS: I recently bought a second hand D-Premier for a good price. That's actually the one I've had upgraded now. I will for sure also upgrade my other 250 to PRO. The whole idea is to first make a comparison between the two and then after upgrading the 250, combining them to make a 1000PRO. I might do some more comparing between the 250 and 250PRO before sending it in.

RE: Expert Pro sound quality - Borgen - 20-Oct-2016

Very interesting info, I might actually start considering upgrading given all the late positive buzz

RE: Expert Pro sound quality - kerkhoffd - 20-Oct-2016

Very nice Invader. Especially since you use the same brand speaker as I do.

Am I right to conclude that in your experience the power cord doesn't make a as big difference as it did on the former expert range Devialets?

RE: Expert Pro sound quality - iamwappie - 20-Oct-2016

I tried the supplied AudioQuest powercord but it is a huge difference over the Crystal Cable powercord I use. Playing with the AudioQuest cord really sounds like there is a veil over the speakers.

RE: Expert Pro sound quality - kerkhoffd - 20-Oct-2016

I always use a new powercord from wall socket to power block and plug in a water cooker in the power block to break it in quickly. That really speeds up the process of settling in the new power cord before I compare with the old.

RE: Expert Pro sound quality - Borgen - 20-Oct-2016

(20-Oct-2016, 15:11)kerkhoffd Wrote: I always use a new powercord from wall socket to power block and plug in a water cooker in the power block to break it in quickly. That really speeds up the process of settling in the new power cord before I compare with the old.

For how long do you boil the water ;-)
(sorry for joking, but actually a bit curious)

RE: Expert Pro sound quality - Pim - 21-Oct-2016

(20-Oct-2016, 16:41)Borgen Wrote:
(20-Oct-2016, 15:11)kerkhoffd Wrote: I always use a new powercord from wall socket to power block and plug in a water cooker in the power block to break it in quickly. That really speeds up the process of settling in the new power cord before I compare with the old.

For how long do you boil the water ;-)
(sorry for joking, but actually a bit curious)

Until the egg is hard boiled  Tongue

RE: Expert Pro sound quality - yanc - 21-Oct-2016

Didn't think much of the power cable freebie. Went back to my Wilbrand spiral k2, which is not bad for a minimum cost. I should try the hot water trick next.

Burn in period is proving quite a ride here. A week on, and the 250Pro goes from the sublime to the so and so.
But it could be that Dev's vulnerability to quality of power supplied is still there as before.